Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No way you trade 3rd overall for Hanifin,Montreal needs goals Zadina gives them that you can move Galchenyuk to Wild for Brodin or Calgary for Brodie or Anaheim for Larsson to get a d-man without giving up the 3rd overall.

I'd much rather they try and strike a deal for the Canes's 2OA, rather than trade the 3OA for Hanifin or trading the pick down. Svech looks real, make them a fair offer where both sides win. It's certainly worth a shot.

Maybe a deal based on 2OA and Hanifin for 3OA and Gallagher and pieces are added as reasonably needed to close.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe Hanifin is RFA so any idea how much he's looking for on a new contract?

Don't worry. It doesn't matter. :sarcasm:

Did Bergevin care what Shaw's or Drouin's new contract would call for? Buy now, pay later. Our GM is so forward-looking.

(insert CobraCommander's Chuck Norris punching gif, here)

Reactions: sheed36

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I haven't watched Hanafin much but stat watching doesn't look like he's really had a lot of offensive upside anywhere he's played, would Brodin be a good comparable? To play next to Weber I'd like to see someone maybe a little more dynamic

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Real talk, that's the longest post I've ever seen on hfboards.

That's an impressive feat.

Plus, he didn't copy pasta anything.

I'm always taken aback whenever someone dedicates that kind of time to put a post together. Kudos to him.

However, given my personal experience with the Hand of God and how so many offerings mysteriously disappear into the ether, the best approach is to be as brief as you can be in order to cut your losses.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I haven't watched Hanafin much but stat watching doesn't look like he's really had a lot of offensive upside anywhere he's played, would Brodin be a good comparable? To play next to Weber I'd like to see someone maybe a little more dynamic

For a team apparently loaded on defence, he was the leading scorer for the group. Not a high amount, but that would have been 2nd on this team and that’s just because Petry played a stupid amount of minutes due to injury.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Hanifin for 3rd O.A. doesn't make sense.

It's the Catch-22 of trade proposals.

If Hanifin isn't meeting expectations as a 5th OA pick, and on the block, there's no way the Habs would give up a higher pick with full potential of being a player to build around. OTOH, the only way the Habs make that deal is if Hanifin is a player to build around, in which case, he wouldn't be on the market.
Do you think Seth Jones was meeting expectations as 4th overall when he was traded?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No I didn't miss what you wrote. You seem to miss the fact that what you wrote is your opinion and I asked Deebs if he thought Hanifin is part of the solution. His reply: "Guess Not."

Ok. You asked basically the same question twice in different ways "Why isn't Aho available (vs. Hanifin being available) and then Why is Hanifin available (vs. Aho not being available) so I assumed you missed my response. I didn't realize you were just looking for multiple views on the same question.

Your opinion is your opinion.
Yep, I never tried to imply otherwise.

On the Canes board there are posters questioning Hanafin's processing of the game. Some suggesting he's moved while he has high value as he could turn out to be a star or a Jack Johnson who never became elite. I'm just trying to get an honest assessment of Hanifin since I don't get to see him much.

Sure, there are fans in every fan base that have varied opinions and hot takes. Hanifin has strengths and weaknesses like any young player, particularly defensemen. He's immensely skilled, an excellent skater, a good passer, and has shown more offense than I expected, has made big strides in his game, but still has some issues with decision making and consistency. His shot also needs work. Tripp Tracy, in an interview with Stauffer said he thought Hanifin was much better when he was given more freedom to play and let his instincts and skills take over, rather than thinking too much about the system that Bill Peters installed, so it will be interesting to see how he performs this coming season under a different coach.

Anyhow, I was simply responding to your opinion/statement that Canes fans "think Skinner has lost it" and they (the Canes) want to move Skinner (and Hanifin) because they "don't think they are good" and then when you asked why Hanifin is available and Aho isn't. I gave you my (a Canes fan) opinion on it with a set or rational explanations of why I've formed my opinion. I'm not trying to convince you to want to trade for him or pump up his value or anything like that. I'm trying to give you my honest view of why the team might consider moving him, and my honest view of Skinner (earlier).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
For a team apparently loaded on defence, he was the leading scorer for the group. Not a high amount, but that would have been 2nd on this team and that’s just because Petry played a stupid amount of minutes due to injury.
Fair enough

Just noticed Petry was 24th amongst Dmen in scoring, definitely should consider selling high on him if we are going younger

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

There's more to prospects than looking at boxscores, but he was in the NHL as an 18 year old. His draft year numbers aren't that far off from a guy like Quinn Hughes.

Brodin's got a lot less puck movement and offense to his game than Hanifin. Hanifin brings a lot more offense. Stick him on a good PP and I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 40-50 points in a full season.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Fair enough

Just noticed Petry was 24th amongst Dmen in scoring, definitely should consider selling high on him if we are going younger

Well if they go into next year with a top 4 of

Hanifin-Weber
Reilly-Petry

That’s pretty damn good. You’re adding a #1 and #2. Any team would get infinitely better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tripp Tracy, in an interview with Stauffer said ...

You're quoting from that? I thought you weren't particularly impressed by it, when you wrote "While Tripp didn't say anything too earth shattering ..."

:dunno:

Maybe you're drawing from it for the purposes of this forum, cause it's not necessarily a wide Canes-knowledgeable fanbase?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ok. You asked basically the same question twice in different ways "Why isn't Aho available (vs. Hanifin being available) and then Why is Hanifin available (vs. Aho not being available) so I assumed you missed my response. I didn't realize you were just looking for multiple views on the same question.

Yep, I never tried to imply otherwise.

Sure, there are fans in every fan base that have varied opinions and hot takes. Hanifin has strengths and weaknesses like any young player, particularly defensemen. He's immensely skilled, an excellent skater, a good passer, and has shown more offense than I expected, has made big strides in his game, but still has some issues with decision making and consistency. His shot also needs work. Tripp Tracy, in an interview with Stauffer said he thought Hanifin was much better when he was given more freedom to play and let his instincts and skills take over, rather than thinking too much about the system that Bill Peters installed, so it will be interesting to see how he performs this coming season under a different coach.

Anyhow, I was simply responding to your opinion/statement that Canes fans "think Skinner has lost it" and they (the Canes) want to move Skinner (and Hanifin) because they "don't think they are good" and then when you asked why Hanifin is available and Aho isn't. I gave you my (a Canes fan) opinion on it with a set or rational explanations of why I've formed my opinion. I'm not trying to convince you to want to trade for him or pump up his value or anything like that. I'm trying to give you my honest view of why the team might consider moving him, and my honest view of Skinner (earlier).

What about Gallagher for Hanifin ?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You're quoting from that? I thought you weren't particularly impressed by it, when you wrote "While Tripp didn't say anything too earth shattering ..."

:dunno:

:laugh: Didn't you read my response to your quote in the Canes forum? I said you misunderstood my intent. It was a good listen and worth listening to and worth posting. My "nothing earth shattering" was meaning that there wasn't any big new news, just more expanding on some of the same info. I even summarized the convo in that thread. It was a good listen.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Don't worry. It doesn't matter. :sarcasm:

Did Bergevin care what Shaw's or Drouin's new contract would call for? Buy now, pay later. Our GM is so forward-looking.

(insert CobraCommander's Chuck Norris punching gif, here)

In both those instances he knew what they’d get before he traded for them. Not the best examples unless you were being sarcastic.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:laugh: Didn't you read my response to your quote in the Canes forum? I said you misunderstood my intent. It was a good listen and worth listening to and worth posting. My "nothing earth shattering" was meaning that there wasn't any big new news, just more expanding on some of the same info. I even summarized the convo in that thread. It was a good listen.

Actually, just read your reply over there, now. Thanks for clarifying.

I figured I'd try and make a worthwhile contribution and since I found something Canes-related that no one else had picked up on, I thought I had hit pay dirt. Instead, I swallowed a little dirt. :laugh:

The beauty of messages in different forum time zones. :laugh:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Me checking HF and waiting for some Habs and NHL news to break. :)

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

latest

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What about Gallagher for Hanifin ?

Gallagher play RW or LW?

I won't try to assess fair value, but I will say I don't want to see Hanifin moved this year, unless the deal is too good to pass up (assuming there are no contractual issues). His size and skill is tantalizing and I've seen enough glimpses of it that I want to see him get time under a different coach / different system before even considering moving him. I'd also like to know what we have in Jake Bean before as well.

Under Peters, the Canes played a very difficult and demanding (IMO) system for defensemen, particularly young ones. It requires that the defensemen pinch aggressively to keep the puck in the offensive zone and also maintain very tight gaps in the neutral zone to prevent the opposing team's zone entry. If it was played well, it made for a very tough time for the opposing team. Problem is, it left very little room for error and led to a lot of odd man rushes and prime scoring chances for the opposition when a breakdown occurred. It also didn't leave a lot of room for creativity by the defensemen.

I'd like to see how he does under Brind'Amour.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The Canes ask for Hanifin is not out to lunch. I think the guy is a no.3 D man with great potential as a top pair if not no.1 D. For us he fits like glove with Weber. There are risks.

Dahlin is about a sure star as you can get. At 3 we don't get that. The odds are very good though that we get a top line forward , top 3 D man ( good chance even better) , but there is risk of course.

I won't go in circles. I am reluctant to give up the pick, and I sure would not add either of those players. I would offer up Gallagher for Hanifin.

Last edited:
Reactions: le_sean

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I know you have to give to get but losing heart and soul Gallagher would really really hurt. That would be a very tough decision for me if I had to make it.

I know, believe me, I do not do so lightly and realize what he brings. We need a top pair PMD and centres.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Gallagher play RW or LW?

I won't try to assess fair value, but I will say I don't want to see Hanifin moved this year, unless the deal is too good to pass up (assuming there are no contractual issues). His size and skill is tantalizing and I've seen enough glimpses of it that I want to see him get time under a different coach / different system before even considering moving him. I'd also like to know what we have in Jake Bean before as well.

Under Peters, the Canes played a very difficult and demanding (IMO) system for defensemen, particularly young ones. It requires that the defensemen pinch aggressively to keep the puck in the offensive zone and also maintain very tight gaps in the neutral zone to prevent the opposing team's zone entry. If it was played well, it made for a very tough time for the opposing team. Problem is, it left very little room for error and led to a lot of odd man rushes and prime scoring chances for the opposition when a breakdown occurred. It also didn't leave a lot of room for creativity by the defensemen.

I'd like to see how he does under Brind'Amour.

He plays RW.

He is about as close to unanimous of a player Habs fans would hate to lose.

He always gives it his all, he hits, goes to the net, scores, antagonizes ...etc. you want to be tougher to play against ? Here you go. Love the guy. But we need a guy to play with Weber and centres. Have to give to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad