Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bjugstad played most of the year on the Panthers 2nd line as a RW, he is a natural C though.
Desharnais played first line center. Does that mean he was a first line center? Bjugstad is not a second line right winger on a contender anyway and the Panthers obviously don't think he's a center or he would be playing there. He'll be 26 in July. There aren't any surprises with Bjugstad. What he has shown you up to now is what you're going to get.

Reactions: Laurentide

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Desharnais played first line center. Does that mean he was a first line center? Bjugstad is not a second line right winger on a contender anyway and the Panthers obviously don't think he's a center or he would be playing there. He'll be 26 in July. There aren't any surprises with Bjugstad. What he has shown you up to now is what you're going to get.
I didn't infer what his ultimate ceiling is..

Although I do think there's some untapped potential there.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
TSN radio Vancouver said at least two teams have called Don Waddell about Noah Hanifin. Canucks and the Canadiens are speculative top teams in the running. They said the Canucks 7th overall pick is on the table. The Canes are rumoured to have asked for Montreal’s 3rd overall pick and Charles Hudon or Nikita Scherbak in the deal.

That is awful if true. We can draft a Hanafin type of player, and keep the kids.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hanafin next to Weber has top D tandem in the NHL potential and Hanafin can become the top D in years to come after Weber. With the amount of RD in the system, he'd be a huge add for years to come.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho would bring a lot in return. Why isn't he available?

It's not complicated. Canes don't have any depth at C (which Aho may move to) and completely lack, skilled, scoring forwards (which Aho excelled at last year). That's completely different than LHD where there's Jaccob Slavin who is at the top of the heap and where they have depth.

It's akin to why Seth Jones was traded. They didn't trade Jones because they didn't think he was any good (in fact, his early numbers are similar to Hanifins). They traded him because they were deep at D and wanted to improve their forward depth.

Unless there are contract issues we don't know about, if the Canes trade Hanifin (and I hope they don't), in all likelihood, it will be for the reasons I mentioned above.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
When it says it's "rumored" that's what the Canes asked, who was the rumor from? Is it a legit source or just people speculating randomly?

If the rumor is true, it probably means the Canes really have little interest in trading Hanifin so it's a "if you want him, you really need to make it worth it" type deals.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That’s a good and reasonable price for Hanifin. I’d rather give Hudon than Scherbak though. I mean he’s 21, already proven in the NHL and LD, which is the biggest need and not available at the top of this draft. Scored 10 goals last season. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
They don't have a boat load of dmen that are worth the 3rd OA pick or more. Why trade a stud top paring d. Because with the 3rd overall pick, you're either getting for a top pairing dman, a top line forward or an elite goalie or it's an awful draft year or your scouts don't know what they're doing.
I'm going to go with the last possibility.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
On the surface, it sounds like over payment but I'd make that deal for the most part.

Hanafin is 21, NHL ready who can step in right away to play with Weber. No one you draft at 3 will be able to do that and then you have the uncertainty they even turn out as many top 10 D haven't in the past. Adding Hudon or Scerbak is the sticking point as I think the 3rd is enough to get it done. Now Carolina can have Svechnikov AND Zadina and I think they'd be happy with that to let Hudon be the sticking point.

Than trade Patches for a top 10 pick + and draft your center prospect. Two needs filled and we have an insane amount of cap money to blow on FA to fill other gaps and we added a ton of young organizational talent and made our D substantially better without losing any roster assets. No brainer IMO.
No way you trade 3rd overall for Hanifin,Montreal needs goals Zadina gives them that you can move Galchenyuk to Wild for Brodin or Calgary for Brodie or Anaheim for Larsson to get a d-man without giving up the 3rd overall.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s a good and reasonable price for Hanifin. I’d rather give Hudon than Scherbak though. I mean he’s 21, already proven in the NHL and LD, which is the biggest need and not available at the top of this draft. Scored 10 goals last season. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
Hudon I think we could live without but Sherbak would be a hard no for me. He has way more offensive potential than Hudon. But Hudon being from the "chosen people" is probably more valuable to this hyper-sensitive ownership group than Sherbak. At #3 we could get Zadina, who may or may not turn out to be anything, or one of the top tier defensemen, who may, if we're lucky, become as good as Hanafin is now.

Still, I'd like to hang on to that pick somehow. I wish we could just trade Pacioretty for Hanafin instead.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No team has knowingly traded outside of the top 3 since 2002. There's good reason for that and I highly doubt the Habs would be the 1st to do it since then. If (and it's just an if), the Canes are asking for what is being rumored, then it's a sign they really aren't that interested in trading Hanifin.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
here..let's start a REAL GOOD RUMOUR

3rd+Scherbak and Carey Price for Hanifin and 2nd overall

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No way you trade 3rd overall for Hanifin,Montreal needs goals Zadina gives them that you can move Galchenyuk to Wild for Brodin or Calgary for Brodie or Anaheim for Larsson to get a d-man without giving up the 3rd overall.

Goals come in transition which we have NONE of right now. Having a PMD like Hanafiin who can quickly transition to the forwards who had their best years in that system will by default add goals.

Think of it as maximizing and making the of the substantial winger offensive depth we have to make sure they're in the best position to be able to do what they do best. As a result, we'll spend less time in our zone and allow less goals at the same time.

The offence comes as a result of the better defence.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Goals come in transition which we have NONE of right now. Having a PMD like Hanafiin who can quickly transition to the forwards who had their best years in that system will by default add goals.

Think of it as maximizing and making the of the substantial winger offensive depth we have to make sure they're in the best position to be able to do what they do best. As a result, we'll spend less time in our zone and allow less goals at the same time.

The offence comes as a result of the better defence.

Are you saying that defense wins championships?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hanifin for 3rd O.A. doesn't make sense.

It's the Catch-22 of trade proposals.

If Hanifin isn't meeting expectations as a 5th OA pick, and on the block, there's no way the Habs would give up a higher pick with full potential of being a player to build around. OTOH, the only way the Habs make that deal is if Hanifin is a player to build around, in which case, he wouldn't be on the market.

If some of the lustre is off the former #5 pick, and he is available, then I'd expect a lower pick to be the price ... like Edmonton's 10th. ... perhaps something the Canes would consider with Kotka still on the board?

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Zadina Will score many goals with Benn and Alzner on the back end feeding him Perfect passes :sarcasm:

Also Anaheim, Larsson??? Like Jacob Larsson? For Galchenyuk ? Are you High?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad