HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I read that his agent did...not sure if it's fake though.

Edit - so just read the article posted above...I don't think I've ever seen an agent explicitly mention a team his client wants to play for while he's under contract with another team.

Kinda wild...

He can be offer sheeted. Teams are allowed to speak to his agent about contracts, etc. He's RFA.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Sure I guess I understand that technicality...but it's still rare, I don't think I ever recall that short of an offer-sheet situation.

If that's true...that kind of handcuffs the Jets if we presume that Dubois is not going to sign an extension with another team than Montreal. I wasn't paying too much attention to this Dubois saga, but these comments from his agent are giving me pause.
And you can bet that if Brisson did that, there was an agenda behind it. He wants to expedite things, because he knows what the Habs are willing to offer in an 8-year deal, which means lots of cash in his pockets once the deal goes through.

An agent helping out an ex-agent... they're in the game, they know how to play it.

I'm not sure I like this, but there's too many things starting to add up for a Dubois trade to happen sooner than later.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He can be offer sheeted. Teams are allowed to speak to his agent about contracts, etc. He's RFA.
After that sorry Carolina offersheet experience, I'm not convinced any GM will attempt it again.

The melodrama that ensued with the team being offersheeted vowing to get revenge is exactly why it'll never happen again. Teams will think twice before even considering it as all their vulnerable assets then become free game, whereas if they'd just let sleeping dogs lie, they could move behind the shadows and engage in more productive pursuits.

Like cap circumvention without getting caught and other shenanigans that involve screwing the system and finding ways around it, rather than screwing the one team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
After that sorry Carolina offersheet experience, I'm not convinced any GM will attempt it again.

The melodrama that ensued with the team being offersheeted vowing to get revenge is exactly why it'll never happen again. Teams will think twice before even considering it as all their vulnerable assets then become free game, whereas if they'd just let sleeping dogs lie, they could move behind the shadows and engage in more productive pursuits.

Like cap circumvention without getting caught and other shenanigans that involve screwing the system and finding ways around it, rather than screwing the one team.

I don't mean to offer sheet him just that teams are allowed to speak to agents/RFA players right now due to the offer sheet process. It's only tampering if they are under contract or not eligible to receive an offer sheet.

Hughes can talk to Brisson and find out what Dubois will cost cap-wise then try to negotiate a trade with Jets. Hughes probably already knows if Dubois wants to be in Montreal & what the expected cap would look like.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't mean to offer sheet him just that teams are allowed to speak to agents/RFA players right now due to the offer sheet process. It's only tampering if they are under contract or not eligible to receive an offer sheet.

Hughes can talk to Brisson and find out what Dubois will cost cap-wise then try to negotiate a trade with Jets. Hughes probably already knows if Dubois wants to be in Montreal & what the expected cap would look like.
My bad. Didn't realize you meant the possibility of communicating with the agent.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...still think that it's a terrible idea to waste assets on PLD when we are in no way going to be a competitive team in the next two seasons...if he wants to be here in two years or whenever, he can sign with the Habs and it costs us nothing but Cap space...and I'm still not sold AT ALL on his character...I say give Dach a chance to succeed here and if PLD wants in when we're in a much better position to reclaim the mantle of a Playoff team in a couple years, then he'll come here...if not, bonne chance...:thumbu:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure if he's eligible or not but my point is that in that situation, the other team has made an offer sheet.

If the Habs sent an offer sheet for Dubois, the Jets would just say thank you for doing the work we couldn't do, and match the offer.

Reactions: Archijerej

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If the Habs sent an offer sheet for Dubois, the Jets would just say thank you for doing the work we couldn't do, and match the offer.
Maybe my judgment is off as I might be overextrapolating from the Aho offersheet. I'd be curious to find it if it will be tried again.

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
I read that his agent did...not sure if it's fake though.

Edit - so just read the article posted above...I don't think I've ever seen an agent explicitly mention a team his client wants to play for while he's under contract with another team.

Kinda wild...
He is not under contract at this point. He is a free agent, a restricted one but still a free agent.

Reactions: 417

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Maybe my judgment is off as I might be overextrapolating from the Aho offersheet. I'd be curious to find it if it will be tried again.

...Bargain Bin's ridiculously low offer sheet with Aho was doomed to fail from the start and he was the only one surprised when it did...and when Carolina exacted their REVENGE (which they will now regret for the next 8 years)...most GMs at least have a plan when offer sheeting a player, especially a highly skilled one...

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...Bargain Bin's ridiculously low offer sheet with Aho was doomed to fail from the start and he was the only one surprised when it did...and when Carolina exacted their REVENGE (which they will now regret for the next 8 years)...most GMs at least have a plan when offer sheeting a player, especially a highly skilled one...
Bergevin and Dundon deserved each other. They were so similar that they both shot themselves in the foot — Bergevin by making a subpar offer and Dundon by taking it too far with his ridiculous KK offer.

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
Nothing happened during Free Agency Frenzie for Montreal.

Petry
Hoffman
Dvorak
Anderson

Do any of them get traded this summer?
At TD?

Make your proposal!
Petry is gone before season starts, it is almost a given..... Right now teams are kicking tires on the assets that cost them nothing as they know traded assets will be around next week.
Hoffman - I think we have one more year of him before he becomes a TDL or buyout
Dvorak - He is only gone in a PLD trade, he would be the center piece of that deal
Anderson - Stays, no one will pay the price for him
Gally - Stays, contract is not moveable
Drouin - TDL move, especially if he shows promise under St Louis
Dadonov - TDL move, if he shows well that could be a high pick with some retention
Byron - TDL move if he can show he has his speed back
Armia - if traded it will be a hockey trade, because at this point his contract has value at 3.4M looking at what players got today.

The rest are staying at this point.

Reactions: Scriptor and ML16

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
We can't even sign Dach right-now because we're not cap-hit compliant. Thanks Obama.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think the rumour about the habs being close to trading for Dubois is true.
They specifically got Dach because they wanted a top 6 center. If they were close to a Dubois trade, I doubt they would've done the Dach trade.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Would be way better off for everyone for that deal to happen next year, if it does. We'll have the money, we'll know our draft slot, we'd be able to sign a new contract, and Winnipeg can sort of compete for another year before making that call.

Dubois would be a great add, but the timing is so poor

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
...still think that it's a terrible idea to waste assets on PLD when we are in no way going to be a competitive team in the next two seasons...if he wants to be here in two years or whenever, he can sign with the Habs and it costs us nothing but Cap space...and I'm still not sold AT ALL on his character...I say give Dach a chance to succeed here and if PLD wants in when we're in a much better position to reclaim the mantle of a Playoff team in a couple years, then he'll come here...if not, bonne chance...:thumbu:

Dubois won't wait two years. I say Suck it up, Jets and Dubois. We'll only trade for him in one year.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Dubois won't wait two years. I say Suck it up, Jets and Dubois. We'll only trade for him in one year.

...if he "won't wait", then he's not worth our time, unless HuGo can pull off a Heist...we aren't competing, so why waste assets??...and if Dach can hit his stride, it makes even less sense to waste assets on PLD...

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
...if he "won't wait", then he's not worth our time, unless HuGo can pull off a Heist...we aren't competing, so why waste assets??...and if Dach can hit his stride, it makes even less sense to waste assets on PLD...
The Dach trade would make no sense if they thought they could land PLD.

Don’t need him right now. I much rather play Dach 2nd center and let him develop. Plus they don’t have money for both.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No because that was a perfect reasonable contract and the term weren’t ideal but still ok… the way to do it is how Carolina played it (although if KK would have been willing to resign in MTL I think we would have matched) high salary for one year and work out a long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad