Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread #78

Would you consider trading down out of the Top 3?

• Yes I would trade down

• No, keep the pick

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...could we sell Columbus on Petry so they could start a bidding war with Dallas??...tell Jarmo what a great partner & mentor Petry would make Werenski and all that...:laugh:

putiger

Jun 8, 2011
weird. absolutely no history of postings from you. Hextall's burner account?
Longtime listener first time caller I guess you could say. Goalie in hs and colllege. I read hf boards fairly often and usually learn something but don't bother logging in. Anyway, I was just reading about Denis Potvin going #1 and how the Habs were offering multiple good players to get that pick away from the Isles.

Just a little daydream mind you. I haven't been following Montreal as closely as I used to. I thought if they believed they have some kind of "window" still open then a couple of storied veterans would be of interest and meanwhile the chances of Wright panning out are better (or would make a better story) with the Pens.

But based on what people are saying here the Habs are worse than I thought, should have committed to rebuild a year or two ago?

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
...OK we all hate Ottawa, but that's a deep-seeded anger you got going there, amigo...:laugh:
Well, perhaps the roster player could be someone a bit less productive than Brown, but he is on an expiring contract and may not want to re-sign with Ottawa (or us for that matter).

Or, we could give 26 instead of 33.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Certainly Gotta be more than Anderson

That's a pretty nice list at 7 OA, and if you go back a few more years, it remains a good list.

Funny though that when I did the same thing for 6-OA and 5-OA , BOTH crops turn out to be a bit worse than for 7-OA. That surprised me. Is lucky 7 something to always count on? This is why drafting is an imperfect science!

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The sum of what the Habs could get by trading both, in seperate deals > 7th overall pick.

What's worse...there's a suggestion the Habs throw in their 26th or 33rd overall pick?

That ain't it man lol.

That's what Zaitsev was supposed to do in Ottawa and it's been a disaster.

Hard pass on that proposed deal.

Dvorak and Armia and 33rd
for
7th OA and Connor Brown

:biglaugh:

It makes perfect sense that the anti-tank (and former MB apologists) guys are completely clueless about trade values.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I wouldn’t trade the 33rd pick, it’s basically another 1st round pick.

The 26OA +[X] to get 5, 7, or 2? Yes sure, why not?

Depending on [X] it’s a win win win: the receiving team still has a first round pick for their prospect pool and they get bonafide NHL quality players (eg Petry) so they can compete in the present, the Habs get a prospect player they covet, and the Habs get slightly worse for next year’s Bedard tank.

Expos94

May 13, 2022
He can’t get 50 pts in a full season. He has never done it. Why would that change after 350+ NHL games ?

Do you know how many players breakout after 350+ games?

Not many and the ones that do are mostly very big guys (6’4’’ +) that needed extra time to fill their bodies.

You are assuming he can produce 50 pts based on a hot streak.

He is not that good defensively. Look at his advanced stats. He had trouble driving possession last year against fairly easy opposition (Evans was much better)
He was on pace for 48 pts last year on the worst team in the league. Always played on a super weak team . He's a lot better then you think. Let's see what happens this year .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

It makes perfect sense that the anti-tank (and former MB apologists) guys are completely clueless about trade values.
You can have a different opinion about trade values than I do, without incorrectly assuming or implying I am an MB apologist. I have in fact been extremjely vocal with my view that MB 's failure was monumental. It's unheard of to levae the club in last place and $12M over the cap like he did.

I'm also anti-tank only in the sense of not wanting to lose on purpose, preferring the team be constantly improving, but fully cognizant that we need to build properly without shortcuts and band-aids, and we need to purge and allow bad contracts to expire without creating new ones beyond this year.

Now, if you want to discuss trade values and cap hits, I'm all ears. I look at term, cap hit, age of player, performances, and somewhat subjectively what I think is perceived value by other GMs.

With respect to the value of picks, I look at historical peformance of multiple picks at specific ranks in the past, and I also use fairly standard charts to guage the relative value of one pick to another. Finally I try to temper the overall picture to the quality of the draft in a particular year.

Ready to chat intelligently when you are!

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He was on pace for 48 pts last year on the worst team in the league. Always played on a super weak team . He's a lot better then you think. Let's see what happens this year .
Good point. While Dvorak's amazing performances with Mitch Marner are discounted, his much more modest results with crap wingers or in ducharme's crap system are not properly uncerstood in my opinion.

I even note that Dvorak's resurgence in the second half of last year was done without participating much in the Caufield harvest, and that impresses me enough to want to keep him with us at ojnly age 26 and with three more years unmder control at a cap hit of 1/19 or so of the ceiling.

Way to dismiss my disproof of calling me an MB apologist. Shows your character I guess to continue to act dismissively rather than really discuss and learn from others. I'm willing to learn from you if you have actual arguments to bring to the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expos94

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
You can’t base your expectations based on a hot streak for a guy that has never done it after 350+ NHL games.

His advanced stats weren’t really good last year. His production had always been by streaks but has never put it together. He can’t face the toughest of opposition and he doesn’t drive play.

The only thing he does well is faceoffs.

Look at his numbers and his history. You are basing your opinion on what you WANT him to be but not what he really is.

On top of that, he does fit with the core (contract and age), Evans is better suited to play against the toughest of opposition as Evans drove possession like a mad man last year. Dvorak is also slow, not the Hughes type of player.

Nothing with this guy fits the Habs, except faceoffs.

As a GM, you need to see what he can fetch because almost anything will fit the team better.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Good thing NHL BE A GM mode guys like you are here to set us straight.

I mean, they just traded a 1st round AND 2nd round pick to acquire Dvorak not even 1 year ago.

And your wonderful asset management plan is to send him to Ottawa WITH Josh Anderson AND the 33rd overall pick

For the 7th overall so you can pick your latest draft crush?

I don't even know what an "MB apologist" is, but if it's the type of people who opposes idiotic trade proposals...sign me up.

Expos94

May 13, 2022
You can’t base your expectations based on a hot streak for a guy that has never done it after 350+ NHL games.

His advanced stats weren’t really good last year. His production had always been by streaks but has never put it together. He can’t face the toughest of opposition and he doesn’t drive play.

The only thing he does well is faceoffs.

Look at his numbers and his history. You are basing your opinion on what you WANT him to be but not what he really is.

On top of that, he does fit with the core (contract and age), Evans is better suited to play against the toughest of opposition as Evans drove possession like a mad man last year. Dvorak is also slow, not the Hughes type of player.

Nothing with this guy fits the Habs, except faceoffs.

As a GM, you need to see what he can fetch because almost anything will fit the team better.
Evans is always hurt . If he wasn't I d love him as our 3rd liner but he s one concussion away from ending his career. We definitely disagree on what Dvorak brings to the table. We ll have to wait and see what happens

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Ya, and the 7th overall could be our 1st line winger or a 2/3 dman when we start to compete.
Dvorak can't get you Ottawa's pic alone he'd be a throw in with Anderson. No thanks. If you can guarantee that this pic will become a first line player then sure but we just don't know

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Lekkerimaki is actually an above average skater from what I’ve seen of him, but yeah I agree we need to keep some decent vets to play with Nick and Cole (Drouin, Hoffman, Armia don’t count)

Though 7th overall is enticing.

Why don't Drouin, Hoffman, or Armia count?

Also what about Gallagher, Byron, Eddy, Savard, Allen, (Price?), Petry, Wideman, Dadonov. Do they count?

Also that $10M would surely attract a decent vet or two in UFA if we decided to go that route.

AyyoCully

Oct 14, 2019
Why don't Drouin, Hoffman, or Armia count?

Also what about Gallagher, Byron, Eddy, Savard, Allen, (Price?), Petry, Wideman, Dadonov. Do they count?

Also that $10M would surely attract a decent vet or two in UFA if we decided to go that route.
Keyword here is decent, they all suck.

As for all the defenseman and goalies you mentioned, they’re alright but I was more so referring to forwards.

Gallagher maybe if he rebounds but if he stays like he was this year then he’s not much good and Byron is a bottom of the lineup player, not the type of guy you want to help Suzuki/Caufield progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad