Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yep. No matter what I said about the nighlife..if I was a player..I would choose Tampa over Mtl for many reasons...especialy the wheather. Their wifes and girlfriend has something to say also...they dont want to stay alone in winter in Mtl..

An other fact is that athletes are usually fans of others sports and in Montreal you can’t go watch any professional sports. Like in Philly you can go watch a game of the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers. Not saying that a players won’t sign here because of that but it can help

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I bet that I traveled in the States a lot more than you.

Btw......Pittsburgh is f... boring city..such as Tampa, Buffalo.., Phoenix, Flagstaff. Even Philly is boring. I went To all those place and a lot more and if you want great nighlife and parties go to Europe....

The good one in US are Nyc, Nashville, Vegas obviouisly.

Nothing like Mtl for terasses, crowd street, festivals..but yes in Summer.

Mtl is also one of the safest city at night in North America.

Obviously the French factor (schools) is a bad thing for players..especialy americains but them dont sign anywhere in Canada

No, you probably have not. I've lived in multiple American cities over a decade and have traveled to large parts of it.

The fact that you'd imply that other cities don't have a nightlife shows a lack of knowledge and vision.

Do you seriously think that Sergachev will have a hard time finding parties in Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh?

Jesus.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is not at all how NHLers pay income taxes.

This is true but why do players ask more from the Habs then though? Like I said before, it's a complicated formula and they do invest to hide from taxes but taxes are an issue no matter how you spin it. Players have history of asking for more in cities with higher taxes so there is something there for sure

Even Radulov ask for more and he is on record saying he did ask Bergevin for $1M more to offset taxes. Was this just a negotiation tacit only? Doubt that.

Why does Tampa have so many contracts below what other cities pay? Players in Toronto greedy?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Can you imagine Bergevin incorporating some of these comments into his pitch for UFAs?

"Sign in Montreal, Crescent street is unique in North America, and we have the Jazz Festival in July !"

The fact is that for young, millionaire athletes, nearly every major city has a lot to offer.

Based on the places that I've been to, if I were a 26 year old UFA and I got different offers with comparable salary and term, my first choices would be Washington and Los Angeles.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, you probably have not. I've lived in multiple American cities over a decade and have traveled to large parts of it.

The fact that you'd imply that other cities don't have a nightlife shows a lack of knowledge and vision.

Do you seriously think that Sergachev will have a hard time finding parties in Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh?

Jesus.

Yeah but the strip clubs though :sarcasm:. I agree with you BTW.. to be clear

Reactions: DAChampion

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017

Jesus.

Jesus christ.....you dont know s..about great nighlife...

YOU know what.....a guy like sergachev could find a good party in St Georges de Beauce or Cowansville for godsake...
I just compare nightlife between Mtl and other cities....thats it.

And yes Pittsburgh is f..boring city...and yes I found a party on the other side of the bridge......its still a ghost town....I know villages in Quebec who are more vibrant that many big cities in the US

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
..I know villages in Quebec who are more vibrant that many big cities in the US

Yeah man -- that makes a lot of sense. Rouyn-Nouranda is more vibrant than Philadelphia :facepalm: Are you even listening to yourself?

Here's the actual reality: The reason that you had a harder time finding stuff to do in other cities that you visited is that you were not from there. There can be small differences in different places, and if you're new to an area, you might end up going to the wrong places or doing the wrong things.

When I first moved to one American city, I had an attitude as ignorant as yours. I actually went to the business district, where the office towers are, and I didn't find as many clubs, or as many restaurants. I thought that the city was inferior to Montreal.

It wasn't, I was just misguided. The city did have its own great restaurants and great nightlife, it was just distributed differently, without as much concentration in and near the central business district. A lot of it was near the university campus, for example. Some of the best restaurants were a little south, where a lot of the artists lived. Though it didn't have a Jazz festival, it had an art gallery festival, and a state fair, that people enjoyed just as much.

You never figured that out. Myself, I eventually figured it out eventually, it took me a while. I promise you, however, that a good-looking, millionaire athlete will be able to figure that out extremely rapidly. A guy like Sergachev, honestly, can probably set up a Raya/Hinge/Bumble/Tinder profile, and go partying every night during his first week in nearly any NHL-hosting city -- if he wants to.

All of this leaves aside the fact that you're over-rating the importance of nightlife. No sane person will have it as a top-5 variable.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yeah man -- that makes a lot of sense. Rouyn-Nouranda is more vibrant than Philadelphia :facepalm: Are you even listening to yourself?

Here's the actual reality: The reason that you had a harder time finding stuff to do in other cities that you visited is that you were not from there. There can be small differences in different places, and if you're new to an area, you might end up going to the wrong places or doing the wrong things.

When I first moved to one American city, I had an attitude as ignorant as yours. I actually went to the business district, where the office towers are, and I didn't find as many clubs, or as many restaurants. I thought that the city was inferior to Montreal.

It wasn't, I was just misguided. The city did have its own great restaurants and great nightlife, it was just distributed differently, without as much concentration in and near the central business district. A lot of it was near the university campus, for example. Some of the best restaurants were a little south, where a lot of the artists lived. Though it didn't have a Jazz festival, it had an art gallery festival, and a state fair, that people enjoyed just as much.

You never figured that out. Myself, I eventually figured it out eventually, it took me a while. I promise you, however, that a good-looking, millionaire athlete will be able to figure that out extremely rapidly. A guy like Sergachev, honestly, can probably set up a Raya/Hinge/Bumble/Tinder profile, and go partying every night during his first week in nearly any NHL-hosting city -- if he wants to.

All of this leaves aside the fact that you're over-rating the importance of nightlife. No sane person will have it as a top-5 variable.

especially an NHL player who need to concentrate on hockey. And with all the social media a player in Montreal can’t party every time look at Galchenyuk

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
especially an NHL player who need to concentrate on hockey. And with all the social media a player in Montreal can’t party every time look at Galchenyuk

Come on man -- the only reason that young, talented, athletic, 6'1 Alex Galchenyuk was able to make out with beautiful women at parties is that Montreal is the only North American city where one can find beautiful women at parties, with the possible exceptions of New York and Vegas. If Galchenyuk had been drafted by Philadelphia or San Jose, he would have only been able to meet women at church, and he would have had no options to party after 10:00pm at night. For example, in Dallas, TX, all of the bars close at 10:00pm.

;-)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Can you imagine Bergevin incorporating some of these comments into his pitch for UFAs?

"Sign in Montreal, Crescent street is unique in North America, and we have the Jazz Festival in July !"

The fact is that for young, millionaire athletes, nearly every major city has a lot to offer.

Based on the places that I've been to, if I were a 26 year old UFA and I got different offers with comparable salary and term, my first choices would be Washington and Los Angeles.
Huh? Montreal is arguably the most European city in North America. It's got everything to offer. Montreal would be my #1 choice.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Blaming Drouin on Kotkaniemi's struggles? :facepalm:
Blaming Drouin on being a total offensive black hole and making his linemates worse.

Other than a 1 month stint early this season, CJ has had to juggle Drouin up and down the line up and every line he was put on, that line struggled and production of his linemates faltered.

Where Gallagher sparks a line Drouin sapps a line.

If you don't see that then you need to focus on the games and stop playing with your phone or pc.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
so many sh*theads on the main trade board. one kid offering pool party and klefbom for 8th, caufield and KK. i don't know why i even bother

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Huh? Montreal is arguably the most European city in North America. It's got everything to offer. Montreal would be my #1 choice.

In practice it's not for most hockey players and indeed for a lot of people with decent labour mobility such as health workers, academics, entrepreneurs, etc.

The fact is that contrary to the beliefs of some on this forum, there are many cities in North America that are great to live in for a lot of people.

Reactions: Habs Icing

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
In practice it's not for most hockey players and indeed for a lot of people with decent labour mobility such as health workers, academics, entrepreneurs, etc.

The fact is that contrary to the beliefs of some on this forum, there are many cities in North America that are great to live in for a lot of people.
It's a pretty looking city, it's affordable, it's got good nightlife, it's got good food, it's got culture, it's got big city amenities, it's got an international airport, pretty girls, etc.

Those should tick a lot of boxes for young guys.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's a pretty looking city, it's affordable, it's got good nightlife, it's got good food, it's got culture, it's got big city amenities, it's got an international airport, pretty girls, etc.

First, Dorval airport is not a strength.

Second, I promise you that young, millionaire athletes can find pretty girls and good food in any or nearly any NHL market.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

But there tick alote of box for a player to not come here to

- Weather
- Taxes
- Crazy Fans and no privacy
- 30 journalists each games
- Language
- Trudeau

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
First, Dorval airport is not a strength.

Second, I promise you that young, millionaire athletes can find pretty girls and good food in any or nearly any NHL market.
1. You're arguing something different. Just because the airport isn't great, doesn't mean it's not a real international airport. My comment was about flights, not airport amenities, because who actually likes airports?

2. Sure, but Montreal generally does it better. There's a reason why cities like MTL, NYC, etc. are known as foodie cities. You can find great food nearly anywhere, so again, you missed the point.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I understand the downsides to Montreal for hockey players and I can see why it drives some players away. But it's really only recently that the Habs seem to be completely unable to do anything with UFAs. Even a few years ago we signed Radulov and convinced Petry to stay instead of hitting UFA in the first place, and now we're not even getting UFAs to humour us and use our offer to bid up the Rangers like normal.

~10ish years ago we could sign UFAs like Kovalev, Cole, Hamrlik, Cammalleri, Gionta, etc. None of those guys are real worldbeaters but UFAs rarely are. Since the lockout the only truly elite UFAs have been Chara, Hossa, Tavares, and Panarin so in UFA terms that 2008-11 crop is a pretty solid group of players. Something's changed in the ~10 years since then and I am extremely skeptical that the weather/taxes/media/language situation is worse today than it was in 2009.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I seem to be in the minority here but I’m happy Montreal hasn’t signed the big name unrestricted free agents (especially with a long term). More mistakes are made by GM’s on July 1st than any other day of the year.

Look at some of the worst contracts in the league and you’ll see a lot of the big name UFA’s there. Names like Lucic (who Bergevin went after), Okposo, Ladd, Alzner, Nobtovsky, Eriksson, etc.

When you sign one of the big UFA players on July 1st (to a term of more than 5 years) there is a good chance you got yourself a future compliance buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad