The Athletic Trade proposal: Pesce (w/ extension) for Ostlund & PHI '23 2nd

How would you feel if the Sabres made this trade?

• Two thumbs way up

• Two thumbs way down

• Like the player (Pesce) but hate the trade

• Like the player, like the trade, but hate the contract

• At least Adams made something happen!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
You get rid off the contract when you have to. Teams do it every f***ing season, no idea why people on this board are so scared of what might be in 5-6 years. Build the best team possible and worry about cap troubles when they arrive. Like all the good teams do.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
You get rid off the contract when you have to. Teams do it every f***ing season, no idea why people on this board are so scared of what might be in 5-6 years. Build the best team possible and worry about cap troubles when they arrive. Like all the good teams do.

Like the Leafs, Oilers and Canucks?

They arent going for it this year. I think its highly unlikely they make a huge play for anybody. I think they don't expect to be in the lottery again for a long time and don't want to trade the 13th, and Savoie/Kulich/Quinn/JJP are untouchable.

One or more of the teams listed above would outbid us for Pesce, as far as trade assets and future contract. I'm about to start sussing out the available Pesce-type players next offseason, when a big trade seems more likely. They are content to run with Joker and UPL this season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm about to start sussing out the available Pesce-type players next offseason, when a big trade seems more likely. They are content to run with Joker and UPL this season.
Why next offseason? We need top 4 D and goaltender now, they can't be happy that we're one of the worst defensive and goaltending teams in the NHL. Jokiharju doesn't work in the top 4 with Dahlin or Power, we've already figured that out.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Like the Leafs, Oilers and Canucks?

They arent going for it this year. I think its highly unlikely they make a huge play for anybody. I think they don't expect to be in the lottery again for a long time and don't want to trade the 13th, and Savoie/Kulich/Quinn/JJP are untouchable.

One or more of the teams listed above would outbid us for Pesce, as far as trade assets and future contract. I'm about to start sussing out the available Pesce-type players next offseason, when a big trade seems more likely. They are content to run with Joker and UPL this season.
This makes literally no sense:

We have more available assets to trade than EVERY OTHER SINGLE TEAM in the league. We could EASILY outbid those teams & the overall net gain of the trade would still be bigger for us than for any of those other teams.

Yes - we already have too many high end skill prospects at forward. We can't possibly keep & play them all. So obviously - we need to keep #13 and waste it on another one....

And we've only missed the playoffs for what, 12 years now? We got within a point of finally making it last year - but clearly - it's still not time to try - since having the #1 rated prospect pool seems to be the only thing that matters to much of this fanbase.

:facepalm:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm willing to trade assets for Pesce I made a proposal earlier in the thread.

Adams isn't going to trade a ton for Pesce this offseason. I'll quit the forum if he moves any of Kulich/Savoie/JJP/Quinn.

I think he might trade 13th overall but only if the players they want to see at 13 are not there.

I want to improve on both UPL and Joker but Adams will stay within his own created limits this offseason. While I'm not sure what those limits are, I'm certain they exist.

I think that they think this is a playoff team that just needs a veteran defenseman added to the mix.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Adams isn't going to trade a ton for Pesce this offseason. I'll quit the forum if he moves any of Kulich/Savoie/JJP/Quinn.

I think he might trade 13th overall but only if the players they want to see at 13 are not there.

I want to improve on both UPL and Joker but Adams will stay within his own created limits this offseason. While I'm not sure what those limits are, I'm certain they exist.

I think that they think this is a playoff team that just needs a veteran defenseman added to the mix.
I doubt he moves 13 for a roster player when he is on the clock.

If he moves 13, it will be between now and when the draft starts because the other team that he is talking to may not like who is there if he waits.

Reactions: Zman5778

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I didn't say he would (or even needs to) trade any of the pieces you mention. Although i do think treating them all as completely untouchable is laughable.

Even if we assume those guys ARE untouchable - it still leaves:

-2 x picks in the top half of R2
-A huge group of prospects headlined by Rosen/Ostlund
-Some potentially useful, young, cheap roster players such as Jokiharju / UPL

That alone should be more than enough to beat out what the likes of Toronto, Edmonton or Vancouver could offer in a potential bidding war.

I swear - if Adams tries to use the 'well we tried to make a deal, but the asking prices were too expensive & other teams could make better offers' excuse - i will completely lose my shit.

I doubt he moves 13 for a roster player when he is on the clock.

If he moves 13, it will be between now and when the draft starts because the other team that he is talking to may not like who is there if he waits.
Interesting theory. I think it works both ways.

I think the bigger danger of waiting is that the guy you're in discussions with, can go to make a deal with a different team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interesting theory. I think it works both ways.

I think the bigger danger of waiting is that the guy you're in discussions with, can go to make a deal with a different team.
That is certainly a potential factor, as well.

It all depends on how driven the other GM is to move the player soon and add a 2013 1st. Pesce is interesting in that Carolina could wait until mid-July to move any of their guys with contracts that expire after 2023-24. They may want to wait and see who they can extend and then make moves after that is sorted out.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
That is certainly a potential factor, as well.

It all depends on how driven the other GM is to move the player soon and add a 2013 1st. Pesce is interesting in that Carolina could wait until mid-July to move any of their guys with contracts that expire after 2023-24. They may want to wait and see who they can extend and then make moves after that is sorted out.
We traded our 2013 1sts a long time ago.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
This makes literally no sense:

We have more available assets to trade than EVERY OTHER SINGLE TEAM in the league. We could EASILY outbid those teams & the overall net gain of the trade would still be bigger for us than for any of those other teams.

Yes - we already have too many high end skill prospects at forward. We can't possibly keep & play them all. So obviously - we need to keep #13 and waste it on another one....

And we've only missed the playoffs for what, 12 years now? We got within a point of finally making it last year - but clearly - it's still not time to try - since having the #1 rated prospect pool seems to be the only thing that matters to much of this fanbase.

besides the fact that no one is arguing that the prospect pool is the only thing that matters, youre conflating not wanting to trade prospects and not wanting to trade assets more valuable than the part brought in

also you seem to be suggesting that because we have a lot of prospects they are less valuable just because we wont miss them

and really, more valuable to us? the leafs and oilers are both cup contenders with weaker blue lines than the sabres have and both teams are at risk of being broken apart because of the performance of their back end, i think the net gain to those 2 organizations is massive

but none of those are reasons not to trade for pesce, which is why strawmen are problematic, they distract

Pesce plays the right position, at the right level, with the right game to fit team needs, 6.5 x 8 is not a crippling contract despite its potential to live longer than the players useful career, not to mention that as long as he doesnt become useless, the cap hit is irrelevant in a cap floor trade, and probably would end up being a mid round pick if the need arose to sell it off

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I have to say, Im glad Adams didn't trade the 13th pick. Benson is too damn valuable. It just goes to show you why top-15 first round picks hold so much value. You never know who could fall to that spot. We got a blue chipper at 13.

Anyways, Rosen or Ostlund are definitely available now. Adams needs to get that top-4 D. No excuses.

Id like him to get a solid bottom 6er as well with Quinn out for a while. I just can't watch Olofsson half ass it around the ice for 80% of the games he plays.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have to say, Im glad Adams didn't trade the 13th pick. Benson is too damn valuable. It just goes to show you why top-15 first round picks hold so much value. You never know who could fall to that spot. We got a blue chipper at 13.

Anyways, Rosen or Ostlund are definitely available now. Adams needs to get that top-4 D. No excuses.

Id like him to get a solid bottom 6er as well with Quinn out for a while. I just can't watch Olofsson half ass it around the ice for 80% of the games he plays.
Let's wait and see on Benson. He's not Bedard. Shiny new toy syndrome in full effect...

Keeping the pick has made the need to trade one of the other young guys more of a priority instead, as you rightly say...

And i don't know why people are worried about VO. As soon as we signed Greenway he became a healthy scratch by default. He's not worth much - but I'm sure we'll manage to move him for something. If not... He'll more than likely be in the press box most nights.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

There is at least some potential of Olofsson realizing the bend in his career path that he is about to enter, and making a commitment to a solid season as he approaches UFA status. Not necessarily to stay in Buffalo, but at least to stay in the league with a decent salary. He knows the spot he's in, I would expect the best he has...and I acknowledge that his best still might not be good enough. It may still be good enough to require a solid TDL return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad