The Athletic Trade proposal: Pesce (w/ extension) for Ostlund & PHI '23 2nd

How would you feel if the Sabres made this trade?

• Two thumbs way up

• Two thumbs way down

• Like the player (Pesce) but hate the trade

• Like the player, like the trade, but hate the contract

• At least Adams made something happen!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I seriously doubt that is the case.

Ekholm had more team control and he came with the TDL premium added in.

When it comes to a player with any sort of real trade value, fans tend to overvalue what their player will return.

If they want an NHL winger with Pesce-esque value, then Adams offers up VO.

:sarcasm:
I know it was sarcasm and Carolina HF disagrees but VO is pretty much what they need. Boost the PP and add depth scoring threat. They don't need a defensive forward.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
GiganticGargantuanBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif

Would be surprised if that’s all it took. If we gotta throw in VO I’m still ok with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Fearnot

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Earlier in the thread on the trade board, I forwarded the 1st, Rosen, and D idea and it was received well. Then the thread evolved away from that idea towards Peterka. But the original trade idea was received well enough to make the trade.
I saw it. I thought that most Carolina fans were very reasonable in that thread.

If you're trading with a Philly then the proposal might make more sense in reality. They have Rosen plus the '24 pick to add to their long term rebuild with no rush to cash in on either.

It's not just a case of pure value though.

In this instance i think #13 makes more sense as it should be easier for Carolina to instantly flip that pick for forward help before the draft. It's far less likely they'd be able to instantly flip Rosen or the '24 pick in similar fashion.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks! Gotta think Carolina would give him that. My guess is we are looking at an AAV closer to 8 if he signs outside of Carolina.
I think there was an article linked a week or so ago that said Carolina wanted to keep it to 4 years. I couldn’t find it with a quick search but I thought I remembered something to that extent.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
There should be an option for a single thumb up. It would depend on the term for me. If we had to lock him in for 7-8 I wouldn’t be happy. Pesce for five years sounds good, or frontloaded if we did have to go long term.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I think it hinges on who Buffalo takes at 13. If it's a defenceman (Simashev/Willander) it might impact how much term you want to give a No. 4 dman. Maybe only 3-4 years because in 3 years you'd have a kid ready to take that same spot.
If you give Pesce long term... it shouldn't have NMC.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think it hinges on who Buffalo takes at 13. If it's a defenceman (Simashev/Willander) it might impact how much term you want to give a No. 4 dman. Maybe only 3-4 years because in 3 years you'd have a kid ready to take that same spot.
If you give Pesce long term... it shouldn't have NMC.

I would very much hope that if we keep 13, it has nothing to do with how long of a contract we give to a potential top 4 D. You can't count on that pick hitting.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I would very much hope that if we keep 13, it has nothing to do with how long of a contract we give to a potential top 4 D. You can't count on that pick hitting.
I hope that pick 13 has everything to do with extending a top 4 D - because it's the most obvious asset to use to acquire said top 4 D.

Reactions: Zman5778

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
I'd give Olafsson, some other scrub and 13OA for a good Dman before guys who could increase exponentially in value like Ostlund or Rosen in a deal. We're way overdue for a big swing and a miss on draft picks anyway, and overloaded with forward prospects.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Ostlund has the out of sight, out of mind thing for Sabres fans. I’ve got a feeling the organization values him more than most fans do.
Well, to be fair (Letterkenny voice), Kev did mention in the trade deadline press conference that teams were asking for Savoie and Kulich, who he wasn’t interested in giving up. So, it might be us, other teams, AND the Sabres that value Ostlund a little less.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Ostlund has the out of sight, out of mind thing for Sabres fans. I’ve got a feeling the organization values him more than most fans do.

I think he’s a great prospect, and those rarely get traded. Levi is an actual untouchable prospect. Savoie and Kulich are damn near untouchable. And Rosen and Ostlund are first rounders that are developing very nicely and those rarely get moved, but do sometimes for big players.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
this might screw up the Pesce deal for Carolina .....

and now all is better I guess

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
this might screw up the Pesce deal for Carolina .....

and now all is better I guess

The problem is that DeAngelo probably is not Pesce's replacement. He will play third pair with Chatfield who good in LD when Slavin was away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad