The Athletic Trade proposal: Pesce (w/ extension) for Ostlund & PHI '23 2nd

How would you feel if the Sabres made this trade?

• Two thumbs way up

• Two thumbs way down

• Like the player (Pesce) but hate the trade

• Like the player, like the trade, but hate the contract

• At least Adams made something happen!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

The perfect fit: Brett Pesce
The trade: Pesce (with a long-term extension) for Noah Östlund and Philadelphia’s second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft

Pesce is entering the final season of his bargain $4.025 million AAV contract, after which he’ll become an unrestricted free agent. He’ll turn 29 in November, and if there’s one pattern we’ve seen from the Hurricanes, it’s that they typically don’t like handing out seven- or eight-year deals with high cap hits to players approaching their 30s, even if it’s a core piece.

Carolina let Dougie Hamilton walk in free agency in 2021, despite him finishing top five in Norris Trophy voting that year. The Canes also walked away from second-line center Vincent Trocheck and Nino Niederreiter last summer despite entering the offseason with ample cap space. Carolina might be especially cautious in extension talks moving forward because franchise players Sebastian Aho (2024) and Jaccob Slavin (2025) are also UFA eligible soon and will command hefty raises.

The Canes will try to work out an extension with Pesce this summer, but he recently switched agents which is a sign of a player adamant on maximizing his earnings, and if a deal can’t be worked out, he will reportedly get traded this summer. Based on history, it’d be surprising if the Canes were willing to pay full market value for Pesce’s next contract, making a trade a strong possibility.

In an ideal world, the Hurricanes would find a trade partner that could offer impact win-now pieces like a high-end top-six forward. But most teams interested in a player like Pesce would probably prefer surrendering future assets rather than peeling talent off their NHL roster. It’s going to be hard to find a traditional hockey trade rather than a futures package; Carolina’s best bet might be to simply take the best picks and prospects it can get and immediately use them as currency to go after the established NHL talent they actually want.

Buffalo looks one top-four defender and a solid goaltender away from becoming the next rising power in the Atlantic Division. The Sabres have plenty of assets, cap space and a clear need for an upgrade on the right side of the defense.

Pesce’s size, skating, ability to defend the rush and excellent defensive stickwork would bring exactly the type of shutdown defensive prowess that could help stabilize a Sabres team that ranked bottom 10 in surrendering five-on-five shots and scoring chances last season. He could be a great partner for Owen Power.

The Sabres are in the early days of their competitive window, though, so you’d imagine they’d want an extension (or at least reasonable confidence of one) as part of a Pesce trade.

Price wise, we’ve included Noah Östlund, who’s a promising center prospect drafted No. 16 last year, and the No. 39 pick in this year’s draft. It’s a lucrative package, but it’s in line with what Vancouver paid for Filip Hronek, and again, the trade proposal is done under the assumption that it comes with some type of agreement on the parameters of an extension.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Voted at least he did something. Seems odd Carolina would want a future only deal. Maybe if second is VO I would vote two thumbs up,

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have to think the Canes would want more of an immediate impact of assets. Also, someone mentioned obtaining the rights to Andersen, and I think that's a great idea. Kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: TageGod

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
yep, it would suck losing Ostlund but need to give to get.

Ostlund + Carolina’s 1st could also land them a decent sized fish I bet.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This to me is an absolute no-brainer, contract be damned. We know that it's relatively easy to get out of any contract that isn't completely and totally onerous......and I doubt Pesce's contract would qualify as that.

Losing Ostlund would hurt, as he's our best natural center in the pipeline.....and likely the best two-way player in our pipeline. That said, he's still likely 2-3 years away from having any NHL impact at all.............................which then makes me question why Carolina, who is still very clearly in their window of contention, would do this deal. I'd think they'd want a bit more immediate help for Pesce.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd rather give up Rosen than Ostlund, but I'd ultimately pull the trigger either way. Only question mark here is what Pesce's extension would look like.
I value Ostlund more than most and that is why I voted like the player and hate the trade with potential for hating the contract extension, as well.

Reactions: Faceboner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This to me is an absolute no-brainer, contract be damned. We know that it's relatively easy to get out of any contract that isn't completely and totally onerous......and I doubt Pesce's contract would qualify as that.

Losing Ostlund would hurt, as he's our best natural center in the pipeline.....and likely the best two-way player in our pipeline. That said, he's still likely 2-3 years away from having any NHL impact at all.............................which then makes me question why Carolina, who is still very clearly in their window of contention, would do this deal. I'd think they'd want a bit more immediate help for Pesce.
@Chainshot do you have access to what the Twins say an extension for Pesce would look like?

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Where do I sign?!

There isn't going to be room for all these prospects anyway. Trade one of Rosen or Ostlund and draft another skilled forward 13OA

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Don't like trading a natural center but the value is there.

I know the contract will piss me off so I picked the 4th one.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
@Chainshot do you have access to what the Twins say an extension for Pesce would look like?

My go to lately has been AFP Analytics, they made their contract projections available to the public, and so far seem to be a bit closer on some of these extensions.

In this case both EH and AFP both have Pesce getting 6y x $6.3M.

1687442508199.png

1687442613444.png

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Would think Carolina would want at least one roster player.

I'd think it would be closer to Pesce + 4th for Ostlund + Krebs
Wonder if Jordan Staal will go to FA, and Krebs could help supplant some of the defensive forward duties with a little offense.

I really like Pesce as a target, so I am a FAN of giving up to get

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My go to lately has been AFP Analytics, they made their contract projections available to the public, and so far seem to be a bit closer on some of these extensions.

View attachment 719974

View attachment 719975

With all the chatter out of Carolina about Pesce potentially hitting a cliff soon, I could see that extension looking horribad before it was halfway over.

Reactions: elchud

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

View attachment 719974

View attachment 719975

I take this

With all the chatter out of Carolina about Pesce potentially hitting a cliff soon, I could see that extension looking horribad before it was halfway over.
Why does he have to fall off the cliff? He hardly plays physical game and plays the smart game in his zone, he is only 28 years old. We need Pesce.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad