The Athletic Trade proposal: Pesce (w/ extension) for Ostlund & PHI '23 2nd

How would you feel if the Sabres made this trade?

• Two thumbs way up

• Two thumbs way down

• Like the player (Pesce) but hate the trade

• Like the player, like the trade, but hate the contract

• At least Adams made something happen!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think it hinges on who Buffalo takes at 13. If it's a defenceman (Simashev/Willander) it might impact how much term you want to give a No. 4 dman. Maybe only 3-4 years because in 3 years you'd have a kid ready to take that same spot.
If you give Pesce long term... it shouldn't have NMC.
Assume they take a D at 13…

they view that person as future top 4.

that is why the ideal candidate is one with 3-4 yrs term like Andersson. Year 1 it’s the acquired RD year 2 13 pick plays on buffalo as bottom pair role.

thrn you know if this person can move up to mid pair. Thrn you can recoup what you h pga e up by trading Andersson/ other player.

Reactions: elchud

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Assume they take a D at 13…

they view that person as future top 4.

that is why the ideal candidate is one with 3-4 yrs term like Andersson. Year 1 it’s the acquired RD year 2 13 pick plays on buffalo as bottom pair role.

thrn you know if this person can move up to mid pair. Thrn you can recoup what you h pga e up by trading Andersson/ other player.
Andersson will cost a ton, if available at all. Maybe sign players like Mayfield or Dumba for three years. Then they can take Simashev/Willander to replace Mayfield/Dumba in three years.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Andersson will cost a ton, if available at all. Maybe sign players like Mayfield or Dumba for three years. Then they can take Simashev/Willander to replace Mayfield/Dumba in three years.
what if they want longer deals ?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mayfield might take a 3 year deal. Maybe. Dumba? I can't picture him signing for less than 5 years.
Well, who knows. Gavrikov signed a contract for two years. Dumba has not been very productive lately and is not a full-fledged and proven defensive defender. He's an odd player at this stage, but I think he would be a good fit for Buffalo on a reasonable contract.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It would be not good, but I don't know what they want.

Their projected contracts at UFA:

Mayfield - 3.75M x 3Y

Dumba - 4.4M x 3Y
I think to get Mayfield to sign a 3 year deal, his AAV would need to be over 4 mil.

I also feel like some crazy GM will give him an absurd offer he can't refuse.

Reactions: Fjordy

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sure they could sign players and then trade them. But that hurts the gm rep on trading UFAs you sign. If you trade for one, it’s easier to trade them later.

the idea you might give up a lot forAndersson…but you can get back a good chunk if you trade them with a yr left or at the deadline.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I feel like it's a good sign if Pesce doesn't re-sign today -- I'm assuming he re-signs with Carolina but can't help holding out hope for a deal like this one.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Well, who knows. Gavrikov signed a contract for two years. Dumba has not been very productive lately and is not a full-fledged and proven defensive defender. He's an odd player at this stage, but I think he would be a good fit for Buffalo on a reasonable contract.
That's an argument I haven't considered.

The concept that guys might want shorter term deals THIS summer banking on the expected cap explosion next year, and so on.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

The concept that guys might want shorter term deals THIS summer banking on the expected cap explosion next year, and so on.
Either Lance or Marek said this. That Adams might find a short-term option, and a player like Dumba, for example, could sign a 1-2 year contract to increase his value at Granato.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

I doubt many agents would advise this approach. Apparently his agent was completely against taking a short term deal but its a legit strategy for free agents to consider nonetheless.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I would rather have Pesce than pick 13. If you draft someone like Simashev at 13 it could be 4 years before he is making an impact in the NHL.

Can't see how 13 and Rosen doesn't get you close.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Looks like Pesce is looking for 6.5M x 8Y.

Buffalo, Detroit and Dallas are interested.

I would be fine with this contract.

That's a lot invested in four defensemen but they're very young to pretty young and we'll be set for years. I'd prefer no NTC or NMC's in there but we'll see.

I'll take Pesce or Hanifin.

In three years:

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Pesce / Hanifin
Johnson - 2023 Draft Pick / FA / Novikov / Komarov/ Lindgren

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's a lot invested in four defensemen but they're very young to pretty young and we'll be set for years. I'd prefer no NTC or NMC's in there but we'll see.

I'll take Pesce or Hanafin.

In three years:

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Pesce / Hanafin
Johnson - 2023 Draft Pick / FA / Novikov / Lindgren
I like Pesce more and he is right-handed.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

I'll take Pesce or Hanifin.

In three years:

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Pesce / Hanifin
Johnson - 2023 Draft Pick / FA / Novikov / Komarov/ Lindgren
I'm fine with protections but they need to be severely limited for the last 2-3 years on the deal.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I would rather have Pesce than pick 13. If you draft someone like Simashev at 13 it could be 4 years before he is making an impact in the NHL.

Can't see how 13 and Rosen doesn't get you close.
In three years it would be not be surprising if Simashev is a better dman than Pesce. At a fraction of the cost.

I'd much rather overpay for someone like Mayfield than give up the kind of assets being bandied about for Pesce.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
In three years it would be not be surprising if Simashev is a better dman than Pesce. At a fraction of the cost.

I'd much rather overpay for someone like Mayfield than give up the kind of assets being bandied about for Pesce.
Chances are its 1-2 years still in Russia, 1 year in the AHL and his rookie year will be the 3rd year in the NHL and thats the fastest pace possible.

No chance Simashev is better in 3 years. Its not even reality. Simashev is a very raw talent and needs a lot of work to get him to the NHL level.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Pesce at 8x6.5. Meh. It's basically the Weegar deal BUT WEEGAR MORE BETTER.

Two of Krebs/Ostlund/Rosen. But they add a 2nd.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Pesce at 8x6.5. Meh. It's basically the Weegar deal BUT WEEGAR MORE BETTER.

Two of Krebs/Ostlund/Rosen. But they add a 2nd.
No - one of them - he doesn’t provide enough on the scoreboard to validate that much I plus having to give him the contract until he’s 38 diminishes his value

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
No - one of them - he doesn’t provide enough on the scoreboard to validate that much I plus having to give him the contract until he’s 38 diminishes his value

If our big pieces are off the table it will take two high-value next tier pieces unfortunately. I'd insist on them adding the 2nd cuz were gonna have to get out of those last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad