Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? ( 9 Onwards )

If we pick 9th Onward, Draft or Trade Pick?

• Draft The player

Votes: 77 77.0%
  • Trade The Pick

Votes: 23 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
2023. We don't yet know if Hronek is a legit top 4 D. Ideally, he and Hughes are the pillars of two separate pairings. That would be a step forward. But we don't yet know if that's actually the case. My reticence is not condescension.

We absolutely know Hronek is a top 4 D. The question is will he be the right fit.

I'm sort of budding in to a conversation so my apologies for the nit pick but I've seen this same question raised twice and feel like I needed to ease your mind a bit. We didn't trade for another Ethan Bear in hopes things would work out and his game would turn around. We traded for a #3 d-man still on an RFA contract after next year. It's a good player - the concerns about the acquisition are more related to our 'window' and the philosophical direction management took in making the trade.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Can’t believe a bottom feeder team for 10 years would even consider this, but it is the canucks so it’s possible.

The reason they are in cap hell is because of lack of elc’s…. Draft the player and sign ufa if needed….

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Based upon how a team in the Canucks position should be operating considering they have been both capped out & out of the playoffs for the majority of a decade: Draft the guy, no second thought

Based upon the stupid plan in place for the team and the short-sighted expectations that the team has placed on itself for no reason: Trade the pick for a center or a Dman, but they'll likely be overpaid or the move will end up being for a winger

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Can’t believe a bottom feeder team for 10 years would even consider this, but it is the canucks so it’s possible.

The reason they are in cap hell is because of lack of elc’s…. Draft the player and sign ufa if needed….
We have 2 Dmen at 750k each, Hogs, Podz and Ratty up and down between Abby, and Kuzmenko scoring 40 goals.

The Canucks have had some of the best contribution from ELCs for half a decade.

Not that I don't want to use the pick, just that our cap issues lye elsewhere.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can see a case for either way... but imagine being this much of a bottom feeder and not picking in the first 2 rounds of the allegedly the deepest draft since 03.

Not picking in the first in 3 of the last 5 drafts.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I can see a case for either way... but imagine being this much of a bottom feeder and not picking in the first 2 rounds of the allegedly the deepest draft since 03.

Remains to be seen.
No 1st round picks in 3 of 4 drafts (2020, 2021, 2023?)

What is confirmed:
No 2nd round picks in 4 of 5 drafts (2020, 2022, 2023, 2024)

You would think this team was in the same tier of Boston or Tampa Bay with the deficit of picks in the first two rounds. It's horribly sad when you look at the end result.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The only way you trade the pick is for a slam dunk player with a proven track record - the type of player you hope to draft with our pick. Similar to what LA did with Fiala and Ottawa with Chychrun, so someone like Byram (injury issues aside) would be the type of target. I’d prefer to keep the pick assuming we aren’t able to get that quality of a player back.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is another reason why I don’t think they will move this pick..

Plus..being as cap strapped as they are..They need impact players on ELC’s

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Only way I'd trade the pick is if we are packaging to move up or get better draft capital. Those trades aren't as common before and the cost of them has gotten way too high though.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The only way you trade the pick is for a slam dunk player with a proven track record - the type of player you hope to draft with our pick. Similar to what LA did with Fiala and Ottawa with Chychrun, so someone like Byram (injury issues aside) would be the type of target. I’d prefer to keep the pick assuming we aren’t able to get that quality of a player back.
I'd add Dubois to that list. The jets are falling apart and he seems to want out anyways but only do it if he was guaranteed to sign

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Feels like the expectation on this pick is far too high. It’s like folks are counting it as a Pettersson already giving almost no chance for it to be a Podkolzin.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You have to know this is the Canucks and it doesn't seem to matter who runs the team, it is a curse.
They will have to trade the first to move OEL's contract to Boston, the only other team he said he wanted to go to.

Of course this will be along the lines of a swap of first's with a couple of AHLer's going each way, like Hoglander going and Buttman coming back, meaning some guy nobody has heard about.

AND in year 2 they will try to blame Benning, who does deserve it but it could have been circumvented IF they has decided that a 2 year step back and retool/build was planned out.

Next year there are so many teams rebuilding that they could have done that and still be in the playoff hunt for real.

These late season wins are just more cake dressing.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
who are the teams that would prefer a 1st round pick over a u23 player?

anaheim
arizona
chicago
columbus
montreal
nashville (?)
philly (?)
san jose

- ducks aren't moving mactavish, but if the emergence of zellweger has them wanting to move drysdale, yeah i'd absolutely move the pick. vice versa would be interesting value wise, but zellweger might not be a fit behind hughes. no interest in zegras.
- from arizona, i would have taken chychrun straight up (at 9th overall), don't know if i'd take hayton, don't think i'd take maccelli (or moser)
- chicago has already traded their interesting pieces in dach and debrincat; don't think there's anything there unless they want to move korchinski for some reason
- columbus has interesting options (boqvist, sillinger, johnson, maybe even laine)... but with the gaudreau signing, why would they move any of those guys for a pick 3-4 years further away?
- don't think montreal has much that they would move - unless they want to pull a detroit and re-rebuild by flipping dach (or suzuki, but his contract negates the value that other u23 players have - although, if we move miller that would be an interesting option...). doubt they move caufield (not a good fit for us) or guhle
- nashville is very interesting if they do want to do a full tear down - parsinnen would be a good fit - but unless they're moving josi/forsberg/saros and committing for a 5+ year scorched earth approach, why not just go for the LA doughty/kopitar approach and build around them, in which case, why move contributing u23 players for picks rather than just continuing along the granlund path and flipping their older guys like duchene/johansen
- who knows what philly will do - but i'd take cam york. probably not farabee
- san jose is probably the most interesting option fit wise in terms of needing to go scorched earth, but idk what pieces they have right now that are interesting to the canucks positionally

those are the only moves i'd consider - no interest in a transaction where we're taking a lesser roster player to utilize this pick as a sweetener for a cap dump. i mean, unless we can package it or use it straight up to dump OEL, but don't think there's much chance of that happening.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm being factual, not condescending.

2019. Bottom ten teams should not be trading away 1st round picks. This is not a controversial or condescending stance to take.

2021. This was a franchise-killer-level of trade. Why the hell are you even pretending to defend it? The Canucks would be far ahead if the deal had never occurred.

2023. We don't yet know if Hronek is a legit top 4 D. Ideally, he and Hughes are the pillars of two separate pairings. That would be a step forward. But we don't yet know if that's actually the case. My reticence is not condescension.

2023. I'm not saying we should trade one since we traded the other. I'm saying that management's plan is apparently to go for it. In that context, trading it makes more sense than keeping it.

There's a reason why so many long-time posters have such little regard for you. Posts like this are just part of the reason.
You give me like for this 10 months later?

I'm so confused.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really depends on who might be available at the trade deadline; and where the Canucks are positioned in the strandings.

Despite being tied with the most points in the Western Conference--there are still a lot of pundits and fans who are skeptical that this Canucks team is for real.

But if they are who they appear to be--, then the Canucks 2024 first rounder will probably be in the 22-26 range. They could easily afford to trade that pick without it having much impact on their future.

There's no 'one size fits all' solutions when it comes to trading first rounders. Canuck fans were mostly apoplectic when Allvin traded the first rounder they got from the Isles along with their own second rounder to acquire Hronek at last years TDL. But nobody is really complaining now.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
For good or for ill, despite Benning or because of him, the time is now. Multiple top 5 players. It just not going to get better than this. A late first will have no impact on the Canucks fortunes this year.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Reading Doug MacLean's book Draft Day. Interesting read.

But there's a chapter where it talks about Stanley Cup Champs and how many drafted players they have on their team.

The goal is to have atleast 10.

Happened with the likes of Detroit, Pitt, Chicago, LA and Tampa. Occasional outlier (i.e. Vegas) but mostly held true.

Nucks currently have 5 by my count:
1. EP
2. Hughes
3. Demko
4. Boeser
5. Hoglander

Not impossible but would need alot of other things to work out (trades, etc.).

So as much as I understand trying to support the current roster, you still need to draft players to hopefully come in on ELCs and produce.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I said it in another thread, one of the funnier developments in 2023 on hfboards Canucks is @Pastor Of Muppetz all of a sudden being a big receipts and dunking guy.
I like how he just pretends that his opinions and arguments during the Benning regime never happened and it was just “he deserved to get fired, no argument from me.” Delusional and bad faith poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad