Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? ( 9 Onwards )

If we pick 9th Onward, Draft or Trade Pick?

• Draft The player

Votes: 77 77.0%
  • Trade The Pick

Votes: 23 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
2019. Bottom feeders should not be giving up 1st round picks. Not sure why this needs to be explained to you.

2021. Arguably the worst trade ever in franchise history. Why would you even flirt with defending it?

2023. Yes, time will tell. Pointless in trying to paint the trade as a good thing at this point.

2023. "Was the right time!" You can't simultaneously argue in favour of the 2019 trade and against this trade. Like I said, consistency isn't your thing.
2019..The Canucks were an 81 point team in 2018-19 (and had built on the previous two seasons in point totals)..and had all components to make a push for the playoffs..Especially with the arrival of Quinn Hughes the previous season.

2021..I said it was the right idea..wrong target.

2023..We finally have a legit top 4 RHD ..whats not to like.?

2023..we had two 1st round picks..stating you might as well trade both because you traded one is absurd.

Lose the condescending attitude bro..Funny, how you're complaining about other posters having it.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Draft with it. There's a legit chance that it could turn into an impact player, which is the type of ELC you are hoping for a few years from now, when we plan to be competitive.

Krav/Pod/Hog/Aman/Silovs/Raty- hopefully these guys fill out our depth and provide solid value. Maybe someone like Bains surprises as well.

Then in like 2-3 years, this 1st and hopefully Lekkerimaki and EP2 are making a strong push.

Make the pick, do what they can to solve the cap and get the D more in order over the summer, then see how next season is going and (at, let's say the trade deadline - 4 a long-term player) maybe look into moving the 24 1st to address our biggest need- assuming the team hasn't shit the bed again.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
2019..The Canucks were an 81 point team in 2018-19 (and had built on the previous two seasons in point totals)..and had all components to make a push for the playoffs..Especially with the arrival of Quinn Hughes the previous season.

2021..I said it was the right idea..wrong target.

2023..We finally have a legit top 4 RHD ..whats not to like.?

2023..we had two 1st round picks..stating you might as well trade both because you traded one is absurd.

Lose the condescending attitude bro..Funny, how you're complaining about other posters having it.

I'm being factual, not condescending.

2019. Bottom ten teams should not be trading away 1st round picks. This is not a controversial or condescending stance to take.

2021. This was a franchise-killer-level of trade. Why the hell are you even pretending to defend it? The Canucks would be far ahead if the deal had never occurred.

2023. We don't yet know if Hronek is a legit top 4 D. Ideally, he and Hughes are the pillars of two separate pairings. That would be a step forward. But we don't yet know if that's actually the case. My reticence is not condescension.

2023. I'm not saying we should trade one since we traded the other. I'm saying that management's plan is apparently to go for it. In that context, trading it makes more sense than keeping it.

There's a reason why so many long-time posters have such little regard for you. Posts like this are just part of the reason.

Feb 19, 2018
I don’t think we are done collecting picks. Our best case scenario is Garland, Boeser, Miller finish the season really strong. Beauvillier probably has decent value at 1 year at $4.15 as well.

Pros and cons as players increase their value and we win and if they don’t and we lose we get a better pick.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
If we trade the pick away, it means we're ready for a shot at the cup.

Not playoff, not near playoffs, not playoff round 2 or whatever, CUP.

C, U, f***ing, P. CUP
a43cc8da-5cf4-4589-ac5d-2bc55a1a9866_text.gif

Is this team ready for the cup run?
:facepalm:
Ready or not, here comes Vancouver, presenting themselves as contender. Pull up your pants, Vancouver- it isn’t time.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm being factual, not condescending. At least you've skipped off the Miller trade.

2021. This was a franchise-killer-level of trade. Why the hell are you even pretending to defend it? The Canucks would be far ahead if the deal had never occurred.

2023. We don't yet know if Hronek is a legit top 4 D. Ideally, he and Hughes are the pillars of two separate pairings. That would be a step forward. But we don't yet know if that's actually the case. My reticence is not condescension.

2023. I'm not saying we should trade one since we traded the other. I'm saying that management's plan is apparently to go for it. In that context, trading it makes more sense than keeping it.

There's a reason why so many long-time posters have such little regard for you. Posts like this are just part of the reason.
Miller trade was a great trade.

2021: I'm not defending the trade (and at the time of the trade nobody even knew if OEL could be a top 4 D man),it hasn't gone well....I'm defending the 'idea' of trading the 9th OA round pick for young D man (like the trade that we just did)

2023:..According to all the experts, Wings fans etc..He is indeed a top 4 D man.

2023...It will likely be a top 10 pick, a player who can step into the lineup within a year..They will need impact players on ELC's

I mostly speak to posters (even ones with diametrically opposing opinions) who's opinion I value (probably why I rarely reply to you),and can hold a conversation without being condescending..Its a message board , and if you cannot handle a differing opinion from yours.. then its tough tittys...:)..Have a good night.

tenor-3 copy.gif

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
My take on Canucks trading 1st round picks in the last 5 years.

2019...Correct idea to trade the 1st: Correct target....Great trade for Miller

2021....Correct idea to trade the 1st: Wrong target....I didnt mind the idea of trading the 1st for a D man..Its a pity that JB didnt make a trade for a young top 4 D man (like the one we just made) with the 9th OA..I guess JB got transfixed on one player only..and combined with the option of flushing 3 mistakes down the toilet, it became too irresistible.

2023...Correct idea to trade the 1st (NYI pick). :Correct target...Team desperately needed a young-ish top 4 RHD, after not having a succession plan for one in the system..and paid accordingly

2023 Canucks 1st....Wrong idea to trade this pick....There isn't a position on the Canucks that currently warrants having to cough up a high first.
Don’t ever ask your significant other if she(I am assuming this) is half pregnant is all I will say here.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Can most of you not do math? We bitch that we have nothing in the pipeline and that we are not even a playoff contender. And we have major cap issues next year.

Its a strong draft year, 8th or 9th this year is probably a 3rd or 4th in other years.

give up our 1st to see if we can edge into the playoffs next year?

This is insanity.

FFS, bite the bullet and live with the crap sandwich we have created, We can't afford to use our draft pick to get rid of some of our overpaid pieces of shit. I have no idea how we are going to meet the cap next year, but doing what we have done for the incompetent Benning years of trading draft picks to hope we will make the playoffs hasn't worked in 10 years. Or trading crap for worse crap cap wise. Or overpaying UFA's.

We had minor success in the Covid year. We made the playoffs one other time in 10 years, and lost in the first round.

And everyone wants more of the same? Bite the bullet. We are a bad team in cap trouble. The only cure is drafting well.

We have no history since Gillis of signing players for reasonable contracts. We have not drafted well. Boeser, Demko, Hughes and Petey are about it. Hopefully we can draft well for a few years, and hope for decent years out of our overpaid crap, Meyers, OEL etc. Almost every player making more than $2M is overpaid by at least $1M outside of Hughes Petey and Demko.

Why the hell do we want more of the same. Keep the god damn pick.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They can’t afford to wait for draft picks apparently. It’s been shouted non stop since the deadline.

They need something that helps next year not in 4-5 seasons.

To me it makes zero sense to serve two masters. You can’t go on about how they had to make the Hronek trade but have to make this selection. It’s just wasting time.

I repeated these exact sentiments last offseason.

I do find it really funny that most of the “had to do the hronek deal, must retool” folks also want to use this pick.

The west is weak now. The pan is hot. If they’re not going to aggressively pursue this reload then imo it’s destined for mediocrity (probably is regardless but you have to actually try don’t you?).
No offense but this just sounds like people being snippy with the situation. 'Oh well they traded the Isles 1st for Hronek, so why not just trade all the draft picks'.

This doesn't change the fact that like I said there is likely no cap space for another Hronek type deal, whether that wanted to make one or not, no different from last year when they made the pick. Also the little matter that while most draft picks are going to take a while before they turn out to anything a top pick has a pretty good chance of making an impact starting their D2 year. Meaning this pick could very likely be a contributing/impact player on an ELC deal through the prime Pettersson/Hughes/Demko window. Something much less likely with the Isles pick if it's closer to the 20 spot.

People will complain but unlike last time around the management team isn't stupid. You can never know but personally I find it extremely unlikely they're going to trade their own 1st, cap space or not.

Reactions: racerjoe

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Miller trade was a great trade.

2021: I'm not defending the trade (and at the time of the trade nobody even knew if OEL could be a top 4 D man),it hasn't gone well....I'm defending the 'idea' of trading the 9th OA round pick for young D man (like the trade that we just did)

2023:..According to all the experts, Wings fans etc..He is indeed a top 4 D man.

2023...It will likely be a top 10 pick, a player who can step into the lineup within a year..They will need impact players on ELC's

I mostly speak to posters (even ones with diametrically opposing opinions) who's opinion I value (probably why I rarely reply to you),and can hold a conversation without being condescending..Its a message board , and if you cannot handle a differing opinion from yours.. then its tough tittys...:)..Have a good night.

View attachment 670383
Stop with the gaslighting. No one is impressed by it.

2019. The Miller trade turned out to be a great gamble. Could have equally have turned out to be a brutal trade. Benning skates this one out on a high note.

2021. You are defending the trade. You're not defending the "idea" of the trade. You're defending the trade itself. Just give it up.

2023. We'll see. I'm actually hopeful he is a legit top 4 D.

2023. We'll see. I have my doubts such a player makes an impact. But I'm willing to concede I could be wrong.

And don't act like nobody remembers your relentless defense of Benning.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
No offense but this just sounds like people being snippy with the situation. 'Oh well they traded the Isles 1st for Hronek, so why not just trade all the draft picks'.

This doesn't change the fact that like I said there is likely no cap space for another Hronek type deal, whether that wanted to make one or not, no different from last year when they made the pick. Also the little matter that while most draft picks are going to take a while before they turn out to anything a top pick has a pretty good chance of making an impact starting their D2 year. Meaning this pick could very likely be a contributing/impact player on an ELC deal through the prime Pettersson/Hughes/Demko window. Something much less likely with the Isles pick if it's closer to the 20 spot.

People will complain but unlike last time around the management team isn't stupid. You can never know but personally I find it extremely unlikely they're going to trade their own 1st, cap space or not.
It seems pretty brutal that you don’t think they could add the salary of another quality player.

• Haha
Reactions: racerjoe

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There's no logic to keeping the pick if management truly believes that it can/will turn the team around as quickly as they say, and if they really think that EP will move on if the team isn't contending by the time his contract is coming up. Sure, there's a chance the draft pick could be in the line-up in two years, but there's a very good chance that he won't be, and a very good chance that if he is, he'll be in and out, playing minimal minutes, etc.

The thinking that led to the Hronek acquisition should lead to moving this pick, and any of the later ones that can help build the current line-up. It also means that the team should be moving their first in the year after, and they should be hoping for a Lekkerimaki bounce-back so he can be moved for a good return as well. D-Petey should also be sold.

Management has a ton of work to do to get to where they say they want to be, and I doubt they'll be able to pull it off. Furthermore, I don't think that they have the guts to go all in in the way logic dictates they should. The Canucks will continue to be what JR described them as when he took over: a capped out bubble team with a poor prospect pool.

Reactions: 4Twenty

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t see Rutherford trading both 1sts ..mostly based off of his comments when he joined the team.

“I want to be careful with our trades,” said Rutherford. “I don't want to trade draft picks, unless they're later round picks. It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”
That recognition of where the Canucks are currently is key and one that the previous regime seemed to struggle with, pushing just to make the playoffs instead of maximizing a window of Cup contention.

Rutherford added that any trades he makes, he’ll be looking to get younger in the deal.”

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Seriously? The Canucks are once again cap f***ed. No they can not "add the salary of another quality player." Can you even count?
Well technically then can. Poolman and Pearson on LTI or/ plus one of Myers, Garland or Boeser gone. If it’s the latter scenario they may need to add a future pick.

I don’t see Rutherford trading both 1sts ..mostly based off of his comments when he joined the team.

“I want to be careful with our trades,” said Rutherford. “I don't want to trade draft picks, unless they're later round picks. It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”
That recognition of where the Canucks are currently is key and one that the previous regime seemed to struggle with, pushing just to make the playoffs instead of maximizing a window of Cup contention.

Rutherford added that any trades he makes, he’ll be looking to get younger in the deal.”

I don’t think that means anything. He has already traded a 1st and 2nd plus other picks. Or at least his GM has.

Reactions: Lindgren

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t think that means anything. He has already traded a 1st and 2nd plus other picks. Or at least his GM has.
The NYI pick was a surplus pick which Allvin turned around and got precisely what the team desperately needed.

If we didn’t have that extra pick ,I don’t think the Hronek trade gets done..I don’t see him moving both firsts (especially after announcing that we’re not in the contender cycle)

Reactions: Play

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The NYI pick was a surplus pick which Allvin turned around and got precisely what the team desperately needed.

If we didn’t have that extra pick ,I don’t think the Hronek trade gets done..I don’t see him moving both firsts (especially after announcing that we’re not in the contender cycle)
I’m not offering an opinion whether the trade was right or wrong, just saying he is full of shit. He doesn’t really care about what the fans think and to be honest I’m ok with that.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Decent chance Yager or Dvorsky will be there at 10, if not maybe Barlow or go for whoever your preferred Dman is after Reinbacher (who won't be there).

Just keep it & draft.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Depends on who's available at our draft spot on how our scouting and management value him.

In a vaccum I want us to use the pick to draft a player but there are definitely scenarios to trade.

If they view a drop off after the top 5-7, but like someone else maybe they trade down.

If the return is good we should consider it. Also if we separately trade players accumulating more picks id br morr okay with it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
My take on Canucks trading 1st round picks in the last 5 years.

2019...Correct idea to trade the 1st: Correct target....Great trade for Miller

2021....Correct idea to trade the 1st: Wrong target....I didnt mind the idea of trading the 1st for a D man..Its a pity that JB didnt make a trade for a young top 4 D man (like the one we just made) with the 9th OA..I guess JB got transfixed on one player only..and combined with the option of flushing 3 mistakes down the toilet, it became too irresistible.

2023...Correct idea to trade the 1st (NYI pick). :Correct target...Team desperately needed a young-ish top 4 RHD, after not having a succession plan for one in the system..and paid accordingly

2023 Canucks 1st....Wrong idea to trade this pick....There isn't a position on the Canucks that currently warrants having to cough up a high first.
True stories. OEL is bad, like wow bad. Maybe if we have Guenther, we use the Lekkermaki pick for a Dman, but one of those 1sts had to be a roster Dman. Still need another, and only piece I see being on the block is our 24 1st.

The NYI pick was always gonna be a roster Dman, could not have been more obvious or necessary. Jury still out on Hronek, but should not have surprised anyone.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
we need to win now, so trade the damn pick! who needs picks right? Even though Tampa Bay, Colorado, their best players are consisted of players they drafted, but who needs picks right?

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad