Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? ( 9 Onwards )

If we pick 9th Onward, Draft or Trade Pick?

• Draft The player

Votes: 77 77.0%
  • Trade The Pick

Votes: 23 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
At this point it doesn't even matter anymore, we all know their game plan is make the playoffs, so that's all that matters.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Draft because the Canucks have the worst pro scouting department in the league.

Just curious but have you watched any games this year? I don't blame you if you haven't.... but hello?

Joshua, Aman, Bear, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Dries, PDG, Wolanin, Johansson (D prospect), Beau

????

Reactions: theKRAKhouse

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They will keep the pick.

Because the new group of management, (remember how they hired all those new people) they actually have a plan that will start to come together over the next couple years.

They are not just single focused or have no plan like people are afraid of.

And they are not just reactionary like Benning.

Thats what I assume to believe for my sanity anyway.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Keep the pick, as it could potentially be a teammate for the Hughes/JT/EP era.

Trade the next pick while other teams are looking at it as a potential lotto ticket.

Don't care about all this ELC talk, it's nice when it happens, but not necessary. We've had a long list of some of, if not THE BEST, ELC contributors for years, and gotten nowhere. Kuzmenko for minimum wage at 40goals, JT and Bo combining for 60g+ paces for years, on the combined hit of 1 star player. Hoglander a 2nd rounder on fire as a rookie. 3 straight calder finalists.

The best players burn their ELC's fast, and get paid early.

Get good players, pay them well, be smart about the rest. That's it, that's the only plan.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The kuzmenko thing is truly fascinating though, he’s basically a first overall draft pick in an average year and we got him for free

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They will keep the pick.

Because the new group of management, (remember how they hired all those new people) they actually have a plan that will start to come together over the next couple years.

They are not just single focused or have no plan like people are afraid of.

And they are not just reactionary like Benning.

Thats what I assume to believe for my sanity anyway.

Can I get some of that 99.7% purity Copium?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I waffled a lot on this one, but ultimately decided to vote for trading the pick if the Canucks don't win the lottery. It goes against what I think a capped-out, bottom 10 team should be doing, but it's the decision that would be most consistent with what I believe management's plan is. I don't necessarily agree with the plan but I'd rather see it executed properly than hang on to a draft pick that probably won't move the plan forward.

The way I see it, the Canucks have set themselves a 3 to 4 year window to contend with this core of players. That's the timeline before Hughes is a UFA, and Miller, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, and Demko start to age out. The team will not have a better opportunity than when Pettersson and Hughes are in their mid-20s.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

They need to use what assets they currently have to build their D-corps. Unfortunately, that means draft picks. It would be nice to see them unload some of their surplus wingers to do this, but I'm not hopeful that will happen.

I can't help but think this is what JR might have been alluding to when he talked about the Canucks needing "major surgery." I think Benning basically forced this upon the team -- the best way out of his mess is forward.

I still can't believe FAQ extended Benning after the debacle that was the Canadian division in 20/21. The Canucks would be miles ahead of where they are now with competent management in place, even after all those years with Benning in charge.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If you don’t get a top 3 pick, management said we are competing the second the islanders pick left.

You basically have to trade it for win now pieces. The fate is sealed, and anything less than all in is embarrassing.

Do I like that? No. But that’s the reality.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
normally i'd say trade the pick but the canucks really, really can't add salary without getting rid of significant salary somewhere. they're basically capped out all the way out to 2025 with a lot of critical contracts up for renewal. they'd have to move it in a deal that cleared significant salary (oel) or for a cost controlled player like hagel

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The hard reality is that the Canucks first rounder, even if it turns out to be in the 8-11 range, is not going to net them a player who likely even cracks their lineup for two seasons.

But given how razer-think their prospect pool is, it's still a keeper in a deep draft. But my oh my would the draft have looked so much better with the Islanders picks (currently 17th overall) and their own second rounder (40th overall).

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
normally i'd say trade the pick but the canucks really, really can't add salary without getting rid of significant salary somewhere. they're basically capped out all the way out to 2025 with a lot of critical contracts up for renewal. they'd have to move it in a deal that cleared significant salary (oel) or for a cost controlled player like hagel

Obviously, the Canucks are going to have to make a major transaction to gain capspace for next season.

They're currently over the projected cap with a 22 player roster. And that's before accounting for Kuzmenko's performance bonuses. That roster also doesn't include RFAs Bear and Kravtsov. Oh yeah, and Dermott.

The least painful option would be trading Myers for a draft pick after paying his signing bonus. But it wouldn't shock me if the Canucks attached their first round pick to move out a bad contract. It's hard to see how they will improve the quality of the roster, which wasn't good enough to make the playoffs this year. My sense is that management is leaning heavily on systems and coaching as a way to be better next year, rather than just changes in personnel.

Reactions: credulous

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My take on Canucks trading 1st round picks in the last 5 years.

2019...Correct idea to trade the 1st: Correct target....Great trade for Miller

2021....Correct idea to trade the 1st: Wrong target....I didnt mind the idea of trading the 1st for a D man..Its a pity that JB didnt make a trade for a young top 4 D man (like the one we just made) with the 9th OA..I guess JB got transfixed on one player only..and combined with the option of flushing 3 mistakes down the toilet, it became too irresistible.

2023...Correct idea to trade the 1st (NYI pick). :Correct target...Team desperately needed a young-ish top 4 RHD, after not having a succession plan for one in the system..and paid accordingly

2023 Canucks 1st....Wrong idea to trade this pick....There isn't a position on the Canucks that currently warrants having to cough up a high first.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Once they dealt the Islanders pick and their second round from this season I decided this team has no interest in a rebuild. Some of Tocchet's moves like playing Demko every game and Hughes 30 minutes a night show they don't care about getting Bedard or a top pick in this draft. Might as well trade the pick if it's outside the top 5. It's going to be 3 or more years before a mid round pick develops and there's no guarantee we get an NHL player or even a good one at that. If you can attach OEL to the pick and bring back a quality young 3rd line center with size then do it. If you can deal it straight up for a defensive RD with size in his mid 20s then do it. Cernak is the guy I like and Tampa will look to make changes and shed cap if they get bounced early.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If you don’t get a top 3 pick, management said we are competing the second the islanders pick left.

You basically have to trade it for win now pieces. The fate is sealed, and anything less than all in is embarrassing.

Do I like that? No. But that’s the reality.

Saying you basically have to trade the pick is just pure ignorance.

If we pick a forward, they should be able to contribute in 2-3 years. That's still within the Petey/Hughes timeline.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Once they dealt the Islanders pick and their second round from this season I decided this team has no interest in a rebuild. Some of Tocchet's moves like playing Demko every game and Hughes 30 minutes a night show they don't care about getting Bedard or a top pick in this draft. Might as well trade the pick if it's outside the top 5. It's going to be 3 or more years before a mid round pick develops and there's no guarantee we get an NHL player or even a good one at that. If you can attach OEL to the pick and bring back a quality young 3rd line center with size then do it. If you can deal it straight up for a defensive RD with size in his mid 20s then do it. Cernak is the guy I like and Tampa will look to make changes and shed cap if they get bounced early.
With the Hornek trade, we pretty much set ourselves up for "playoff or bust" next season. Aside from a top 3 pick, none of the other prospects in this draft is expected to be a difference maker next season. If you can somehow attach OEL to the 1st and dump him and get a 3C or even a defensively sound 3rd pairing D, you have to do it. Then pray you can unload one of BB6 or Myers, and use that money to fill up the depth, and you potentially have a bubble team. If Hughes can play 30mins a game for 82 games effectively, and Petey can play 20+ as well while killing penalties, and Demko plays at Vezina level and stay healthy, you might even challenge for home ice. Sure those 3 might burn out from the workload, but working with a "playoff or bust" mandate on a capped out team with no depth or quality prospects, you don't really have much of a choice.

In order to be consistent with their plan, they should trade their pick. For the long term health of the team, well they already f'd that up last trading deadline (I mean the 2022 one), so might as well go for it now.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
My take on Canucks trading 1st round picks in the last 5 years.

2019...Correct idea to trade the 1st: Correct target....Great trade for Miller

2021....Correct idea to trade the 1st: Wrong target....I didnt mind the idea of trading the 1st for a D man..Its a pity that JB didnt make a trade for a young top 4 D man (like the one we just made) with the 9th OA..I guess JB got transfixed on one player only..and combined with the option of flushing 3 mistakes down the toilet, it became too irresistible.

2023...Correct idea to trade the 1st (NYI pick). :Correct target...Team desperately needed a young-ish top 4 RHD, after not having a succession plan for one in the system..and paid accordingly

2023 Canucks 1st....Wrong idea to trade this pick....There isn't a position on the Canucks that currently warrants having to cough up a high first.

Well, I disagree with every single point you've made. Shocker. I'm not a fan of pom-poms, however.

2019. Was the wrong time to trade away a 1st rounder. The Canucks have accomplished SFA during Miller's tenure. Only a once-in-a-century pandemic allowed the team to squeak into the playoffs while he's been on the roster. Blind luck is the primary reason the pick wasn't a lottery pick. Locked in future decisions for good or for ill.

2021. How the holy hell does someone still try to defend that trade?

2023. Time will tell if Hronek is more valuable than the NYI first. Calling it the correct decision is premature. Dude hasn't even played a single game for the Canucks.

2023. If it's right to trade the NYI pick, then how is it wrong to trade the VAN pick? Same logic applies. Consistency is not your calling card. (see bolded)

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well, I disagree with every single point you've made. Shocker. I'm not a fan of pom-poms, however.

2019. Was the wrong time to trade away a 1st rounder. The Canucks have accomplished SFA during Miller's tenure. Only a once-in-a-century pandemic allowed the team to squeak into the playoffs while he's been on the roster. Blind luck is the primary reason the pick wasn't a lottery pick. Locked in future decisions for good or for ill.

2021. How the holy hell does someone still try to defend that trade?

2023. Time will tell if Hronek is more valuable than the NYI first. Calling it the correct decision is premature. Dude hasn't even played a single game for the Canucks.

2023. If it's right to trade the NYI pick, then how is it wrong to trade the VAN pick? Same logic applies. Consistency is not your calling card. (see bolded)
2019..was the right time..Marky,Tanev,EP,QH,Boeser,Horvat.Edler...that was was the right time to accelerate..IMO

2021..I did say it was the wrong target..did you not read that part.?

2023...Time will tell..I'm saying that the rate of exchange for a 25 year old top 4 RHD ..a 1st round pick, is basically fair.

2023...The Canucks traded a surplus 1st pick..doesnt mean they have to trade both.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Lets say its in the 12 range cuz thats where we are trending now, Id still only consider trading the pick to drop down and get more picks with it a la Seahawks style. Dont know what the going rate would be but say trade 12 for 26 and get 2 extra 2nds? Even then only if our guys are gone by our pick

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
2019..was the right time..Marky,Tanev,EP,QH,Boeser,Horvat.Edler...that was was the right time to accelerate..IMO

2021..I did say it was the wrong target..did you not read that part.?

2023...Time will tell..I'm saying that the rate of exchange for a 25 year old top 4 RHD ..a 1st round pick, is basically fair.

2023...The Canucks traded a surplus 1st pick..doesnt mean they have to trade both.

2019. Bottom feeders should not be giving up 1st round picks. Not sure why this needs to be explained to you.

2021. Arguably the worst trade ever in franchise history. Why would you even flirt with defending it?

2023. Yes, time will tell. Pointless in trying to paint the trade as a good thing at this point.

2023. "Was the right time!" You can't simultaneously argue in favour of the 2019 trade and against this trade. Like I said, consistency isn't your thing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The kuzmenko thing is truly fascinating though, he’s basically a first overall draft pick in an average year and we got him for free

We had a single season of cost control with Kuzmenko, the benefit of getting a first overall prospect is the 7 RFA years.

Reactions: Canucks LB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad