Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? ( 9 Onwards )

If we pick 9th Onward, Draft or Trade Pick?

• Draft The player

Votes: 77 77.0%
  • Trade The Pick

Votes: 23 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’ve been loving poll questions recently, so here’s another one I’m curious about.

Assuming we DON’T pick in the top 9, would you like to select the player, or trade the pick?

It’s definitely worth a discussion, considering we are doing everything in our power to not rebuild.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
DEEPEST draft in the last half decade. We WILL get a good player. We have ZERO prospect depth. Our team SUCKS. Draft the player AINEC!

Lots of "we" and "our" in this post.

If this team trades this draft pick for something redundant or stupid then I will forever refer to this team as "ass" and will vow to never use "we" or "our" when referring to this "professional sports team."

Keep the damn pick.

ghozt

Dec 3, 2017
A 1st in the 10-12 range won't be able to get us much in my opinion.

If we can trade for a young C like Anton Lundell then go for it, but Florida would likely value Lundell more than the 10th pick.

Draft Reinbacher and call it a day.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The pick would return a very good player, and if the team is trying to compete immediately trading the pick is probably the most sensible course of action. I kind of refuse to consider these questions, I just wish the team wasn't in this position.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Seems half assed to want to keep the pick. Isn’t the excuse for Hronek that the picks aren’t helping you for 5 years?

Waiting for this pick to help seems dumb.

The time is now. Continuing to wait for contracts to expire and picks to marinate isn’t helping achieve anything in the short term.

Pettersson and Hughes aren’t waiting….right. Shit or get off the pot.

Also referring to the Canucks as we and us is childish.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think they should trade the pick for Makar... straight up....

But seriously it depends on we are getting both in trade and at what our pick is. You don't 100% trade this pick... cause thats how you fail. You don't 100% keep this pick, because that too is how you fail.

i would lean towards keeping the pick, but if the right deal is there you take it.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
you have to be kidding to even consider trading our pick away, unless its for Bedard which is not going to happen.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Obviously trade if there is an incredible deal to be made. Which there won't be. Also, even if we could trade it for Makar, how the hell would we be cap compliant without trading Petey and Quinn for draft picks?

We can not afford to trade another draft pick for someone who is going to command salary, or is making salary. Hronik MAY turn out to be worth the overpayment, but damn we are going to have cap problems the next 2 years.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d trade it(I say this as someone who wanted a rebuild).

Go all-in with the 2023-2027 window strategy. If you can find more Hronek caliber players at C or D and can make it all work cap-wise then do it.

Then rebuild properly in 2027 if thing go south and Hughes doesn’t want to re-sign.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I mean, if there's some ~22 year old available establishing themselves as a top 4 D or top 6 C I think we'd have to consider it, but these guys literally never get traded.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
There still needs to be a pipeline of cheap ELCs to support re-tool/ EP and QH's window. Some of the cheap ELCs have to be quality pieces rather than exclusively reclamation projects.

For instance, Reinbacher doesn't look too far away from AHL and NHL call-up. Of course, cannot count on this time frame, but it's semi-plausible. Same could be applied to other players in this draft.

Reactions: VintageBure

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There still needs to be a pipeline of cheap ELCs to support re-tool/ EP and QH's window. Some of the cheap ELCs have to be quality pieces rather than exclusively reclamation projects.

For instance, Reinbacher doesn't look too far away from AHL and NHL call-up. Of course, cannot count on this time frame, but it's semi-plausible. Same could be applied to other players in this draft.

This is what the College Euro FA can be great for. Finding those depth pieces when you have little prospects out there. It helps your cheap depth, throughout an organization. Both for Abby and the big club.

Having said that this pick holds huge value, and as you said you still want some high end assets to come up. So would have to be a great trade.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Only if it was for a high upside player on an ELC. Those types of players are rarely traded for picks.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018

So dumb that even educated fans don't realize this. There are times players are drafted in the top 20 and become impact players later in their draft year. QH and EP are still young, if they are elite as everyone claims they are capable of contending in their late 20's/early 30's. We need ELC's to keep the franchise in good shape, and these players can be impact players as soon as their draft year or maybe a year after (this can also be due to teams not realizing how to stop this player) which leads to the sophmore slump. I think most of us want to keep the pick, but we all know what management will likely do..

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Do you like pros pects and picks?
I do not like them, fiddlesticks.
I do not like pros pects and picks.

Would you like them here or there?
I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.

Would you like them in the first?
Would you like two in the first?
I do not like them in the first
I do not like two in the first
I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.

-New Millenium Canucks management

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seems half assed to want to keep the pick. Isn’t the excuse for Hronek that the picks aren’t helping you for 5 years?

Waiting for this pick to help seems dumb.

Except there's only so much cap space for the pro roster. Unless you're talking about getting someone still on an ELC like Byfield or Clarke from LA how do we fit another Hronek contract on the roster.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If we trade the pick away, it means we're ready for a shot at the cup.

Not playoff, not near playoffs, not playoff round 2 or whatever, CUP.

C, U, f***ing, P. CUP
a43cc8da-5cf4-4589-ac5d-2bc55a1a9866_text.gif

Is this team ready for the cup run?
:facepalm:

Reactions: ChilliBilly

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Except there's only so much cap space for the pro roster. Unless you're talking about getting someone still on an ELC like Byfield or Clarke from LA how do we fit another Hronek contract on the roster.
They can’t afford to wait for draft picks apparently. It’s been shouted non stop since the deadline.

They need something that helps next year not in 4-5 seasons.

To me it makes zero sense to serve two masters. You can’t go on about how they had to make the Hronek trade but have to make this selection. It’s just wasting time.

I repeated these exact sentiments last offseason.

I do find it really funny that most of the “had to do the hronek deal, must retool” folks also want to use this pick.

The west is weak now. The pan is hot. If they’re not going to aggressively pursue this reload then imo it’s destined for mediocrity (probably is regardless but you have to actually try don’t you?).

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Draft the player ..100%

This player could conceivably be in the lineup for the 2024-25 season..and fits in with the EP,QH timeline.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
They can’t afford to wait for draft picks apparently. It’s been shouted non stop since the deadline.

They need something that helps next year not in 4-5 seasons.

To me it makes zero sense to serve two masters. You can’t go on about how they had to make the Hronek trade but have to make this selection. It’s just wasting time.

I repeated these exact sentiments last offseason.

I do find it really funny that most of the “had to do the hronek deal, must retool” folks also want to use this pick.

The west is weak now. The pan is hot. If they’re not going to aggressively pursue this reload then imo it’s destined for mediocrity (probably is regardless but you have to actually try don’t you?).

The thing is with drafting defenseman - defenseman can take years to develop. If we got Reinbacher with the Islanders pick, we might be waiting 3-4 years before he's a legitimate contributor (if he even pans out).

Forwards tend to make an impact sooner now, usually in their D+1 or D+2 years.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I’ve been loving poll questions recently, so here’s another one I’m curious about.

Assuming we DON’T pick in the top 9, would you like to select the player, or trade the pick?

It’s definitely worth a discussion, considering we are doing everything in our power to not rebuild.

I don't see any trades out there that makes any sense right now.

If there's a right deal to take - we should take it. Not really a binary yes or no situation to be honest.

Would need to be a good young D or C on a cheap contract where the team prefers a pick. Closest player I can think of is Anton Lundell (probably would need to sign him to a cheap bridge contract... 3 years 2.5M per or something).

Or something like Myers + 1st for Rasmussen from Detroit (with a cheap bridge extension).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad