Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? (2024 Edition)

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The problem is that any decent target with term is going to make our cap situation this summer even worse. We are already going to have trouble signing a bunch of our expiring contracts as it is. And as I have said repeatedly on here, a team in contention for the 1st time in 10 years should not decide thats its suddenly the time to go all in and damn the torpedos.
I agree with you, it is a problem, Im assuming its solvable.

When management has said the team is ahead of where they thought they would be. I assume that means they are playing better then they thought. I also assume they had a plan to get better in the coming seasons.

So what that means to me is, since our first is goto be a late one, its on the table to be moved in order to implement there plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flik

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Would be a lot easier to bring in a player with term if we knew what Petey would be asking for this summer.

That said, if you have a deal like JEE on the table, that could be the kind of thing that might nudge him to give some clarity.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
The only untouchable among the Canucks assets should be Willander

Lekkerimacki the World Juniors MVP and Brzustewicz who is on pace for 106 points are also not going anywhere and need to be on that list your talking about

Reactions: arttk

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I wish the 2011 Canucks traded the 1st for another top 4 dman.

I’m ok with trading this pick as long as it will help us. That said I’m against 4 month rentals. If not just keep the pick. I’m also don’t want to give it away on a bad trade.
Forever mad that we didn’t trade the 1st round pick in 2011 for more depth scoring or defensive depth

• Love
Reactions: Flik and lawrence

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Most teams don't have back to back years like this.

You think we have to go for it this year if this continues. I would 100% use the first to add a top 6 forward.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't understand when some fans want you to go for it. When they have a dynasty level team? It's completely unrealistic to expect to get there.

Reactions: lawrence

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Lekkerimacki the World Juniors MVP and Brzustewicz who is on pace for 106 points are also not going anywhere and need to be on that list your talking about

I agree with Willander and Lekkerimaki. However with Brz, I'd be open to trading him if he's the only piece in a deal for a big name player. Like no "Brzustewicz + 2nd" type situations, basically just consider him a 1st round pick in your traditional TDL's

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
We have no idea if we'll ever get another season like this again. 2011 was 13 years ago, I don't care one bit about a pick in the bottom third of the league. By the time any player we get down there is able to contribute on an ELC to this current group, this current group might be broken up already.

Go get Guentzel, move the pick, Podkolzin, Raty, I don't care whoever else you need to (as long as it's not Lek or Willander) and then trade a lower ranked prospect and / or pick to get Tanev back. Shore up the scoring, beef up the D and go make a run. To hell with future ELCs that may or may not pan out, if it blows up in our face? Well, we've been waiting 54 years, what's a few more?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
We have no idea if we'll ever get another season like this again. 2011 was 13 years ago, I don't care one bit about a pick in the bottom third of the league. By the time any player we get down there is able to contribute on an ELC to this current group, this current group might be broken up already.

Go get Guentzel, move the pick, Podkolzin, Raty, I don't care whoever else you need to (as long as it's not Lek or Willander) and then trade a lower ranked prospect and / or pick to get Tanev back. Shore up the scoring, beef up the D and go make a run. To hell with future ELCs that may or may not pan out, if it blows up in our face? Well, we've been waiting 54 years, what's a few more?
agreed. GO ALL IN.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Trade it in a package for a player under 26 that's cost controlled.

No rentals those never work.

Kinda like another Hronek, a player who hasn't reached his potential yet on another team in a bad situation.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I mean it obviously depends on return but Im on the cautious side of trading this years 1st.

The JB years we were capped out, bottom of the league and somehow still had a weak prospect pool, now a playoff team with prospects Im excited about. Its kinda clouded my brains judgement on trading it this year

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
On the flip side, would you trade our 1st + good noncore roster player + to the Kings for Clarke? (A trade that weakens the Canucks this season and bolsters the Kings) ?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Say the Blues call and tell us to throw an offer for Buchnevic (who IMO is in the same tier as Horvat).

Would you be willing to offer a 2024 FRP + D-Petey? I'd personally pull the trigger.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It should absolutely be in play. Not for a rental though. If you can find another Hronek or Miller type of target who's a multi-year asset, you trade a 1st+ for that type of a target.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Agree with above if it's a longer term fit then yes but rental no.

Also tend to think that it might be better to use around or at the draft to get better value and more possibilities from it vs the 10-12 or so sellers.

Players values tend to spike at the deadline, Pick values at or right before the draft.

A top6 C/LW would be ideal as well as a top4 RD

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Say the Blues call and tell us to throw an offer for Buchnevic (who IMO is in the same tier as Horvat).

Would you be willing to offer a 2024 FRP + D-Petey? I'd personally pull the trigger.

With salary retained? I would say yes. But we need to move some money like Kuzmenko’s salary.

It doesn’t solve our issues at 2C if we keep the Lotto Line together. The Blues have at times tried Buchnevich at C but never kept him there. I suspect there is a reason. He is also atrocious at face offs.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
For every Jensen/Gaunce/Shinkaruk type miss you could get a Robertson, Pastrnak, Johnston, Mercer, Pinto, etc hit as well.

Regardless, if there’s a trade to be made that involves a first then so be it. If it’s just for a rental then no.

I also get the idea management is not inclined to trade 1sts or prospects whatsoever. At least that’s the vision that Rutherford has come out and said, about wanting our prospects that are projecting well to be contributing factors for us on their ELC’s.
Could even get Brock Boeser. @M2Beezy

• Love
Reactions: M2Beezy

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

I have no problem with the 1st. And I would have to see DP2 go, but who else would they want.

The real issue is managing to be cap compliant, both this season, and into the future. I posted elsewhere, but we likely will have close to $67M tied up in 10 players. (assuming we sign EP, Hronek and Zadorov). $73 M if you include Soucy Hogland and Suter. We have to replace a good chunk of our 3rd and 4th lines.

We are going to need 10 players and have about $14 M to sign them with. One more big name just isn't viable without trading out salary. Buchnevich will require us to get rid of Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. Assume Buch gets $8M, you then have $14M to sign 11 players. Or you are just getting a rental.

We are going to bleed assets big time to be able to bring in any big name.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd only trade our first for a player under contract beyond this year
Exactly.....it has to be a 'hockey trade' for a guy with some term on his contract. As good as the Canucks season has been, it would be a mistake to blow their first rounder on a pure rental.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Canucks currently drafting in the 30th spot. This is a list of players taken in this position from the past 20 years.
2022 Brad Lambert
2021 Zachary Dean
2020 Mavrik Bourque
2019 John Beecher
2018 Joe Veleno
2017 Eeli Tolvanen
2016 Sam Steel
2015 Nick Merkley
2014 John Quenneville
2013 Ryan Hartman
2012 Tanner Pearson
2011 Rickard Rakell
2010 Brock Nelson
2009 Simon Despres
2008 Tom McCollum
2007 Nick Ross
2006 Matt Corrente
2005 Vladimir Mihalik
2004 Andy Rogers
2003 Shawn Belle
2002 Jim Slater
2001 Dave Steckel
2000 Jeff Taffe

The majority of these players were on waivers at some point. The 30th overall pick is a low chance lottery with about a 5% chance of the player turning it into a 2nd line player. Chances are the player you trade the pick for will be far better than anything that pick turns into.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00