Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? (2024 Edition)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Yes, but the cap situation makes that very hard. The type of player that you would identify to make trading that first worth it costs too much money and if it is just for a pure rental at the deadline a first is too much to trade imho.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
the pick should be traded, but not necessarily at the deadline

i'd prefer they use it right before the draft when the value of the pick is at its highest, and when the type of player/asset we should be targeting (RD, u25 player) is more likely to shake loose

of course, if there's a perfect fit (ie. another hronek-like opportunity), then they should absolutely go for it, and waiting for the pick value to slightly increase is meaningless. just not sure if guentzel or mantha or anyone else at the top end of the rental market are likely to be that fit.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
For Buch or Guentz? Sure, trade the pick.

For a top shelf D? You bet.

Just because? Of course not.

What goes with it for cap though? Myers, Kuzmenko, Garland or even single year contracts like Cole, Blueger, Laff or Suter (not that I'm advocating any of them being dumped) have to move to fit in such a player too. They would all leave big shoes to fill too. That's the bigger question to me.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The short answer is that they should be more willing to trade the pick now than if they were a bubble team as expected at the start of the season. I don't think their record is a mirage. Adding a top 6 scoring winger and/or a top 4 D-man could legitimately be the difference between a first round exit and a conference final appearance or...

But, and it's a big but, at least two things are problematic:
1. As others have already mentioned, salary would have to move out in order to bring a bigish contract back in. This complicates such a deal. Myers and Kuzmenko are the top two candidates to move out to free up salary.
2. The team is entering the most expensive phase of their core development cycle. Hughes, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Hronek, Demko will soon be making around a combined 50% of the cap. Relatively expensive depth players like Garland, Zadorov and Mikheyev are part of the reason they are doing well. You can't just jettison those players and expect to be as competitive. And, while their prospect depth has improved, they still don't have an abundance of riches. They need to be holding on to as many youthful assets as they can to ensure they have ELC players that can seriously contribute while the core is at its most expensive.

I know, point 2 is an old argument. But I really think it's absolutely necessary for sustainable competitiveness. Since one Hughes or Miller injury can derail a whole playoff season, they need to keep the future in mind while trying to win now.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Do not trade the pick , We need another top end forward since all we really have is Raty and Lekkerimacki as our only real promising forward prospects 21 and under , we are almost at that point where we can start competing but we need to strike gold in the draft this year

And by listening to Dhaliwal the other day it doesn’t look like Allvin is interested in trading this years 1st :

But next years first round pick I’m ok with because we have a 2nd round pick

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wish the 2011 Canucks traded the 1st for another top 4 dman.

I’m ok with trading this pick as long as it will help us. That said I’m against 4 month rentals. If not just keep the pick. I’m also don’t want to give it away on a bad trade.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
The pick should be off the table for rentals. If you can get a player with 2+ years of term at a reasonable cap hit, then sure make the trade. I also think the team has progressed enough that you don’t need to limit yourself to younger players with room to grow.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Canucks are atop the Western Conference. The prospect pipeline has players that are tracking to play in the NHL. Is now the time to seriously consider trading the 1st round pick?
Hell yeah I am certainly willing to move that pick as part of a package to bring in a player who fills a need for this year and next and is (likely) extendible for a reasonable cap hit. Right shot defender, top six winger. Still too many teams "in the mix"...even though they aren't, to get an interesting market.

Reactions: andora

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I think we have to trade it this year given our position and salary cap situation. I’m all for getting guentzel or Toffoli, if we can include kuzmenko and our first in a trade we could add a sweetener and hopefully we can add another Dman that can help shore our blue line. If we can’t get both pieces I opt for getting one piece that can be here long term

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I think the pick should be in play but I don't want it to be spent on just any ole' rental and it doesn't even need to be spent this season. Using the pick as part of a package to trade for a really good player at the draft is an option.

Sidney Crosby is in the last year of his contract too around the draft and if Pit is out of it... lol..

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
100% in the no camp.

Why?

Because every available player that is a subject of trade talk is a pure rental due a large contract compared to what they're making now. This is a serious step forward year but by and large much of the core is the same as we've had for the last 6 years where we couldn't do much.

I say sweat this season out. We KNOW this team can beat anyone as it is made up. We have quality depth in the minors for the first time in a decade. Let this team do what it will and keep those 1st round picks because the one thing we need more than anything is an infusion of youth on ELC's that can supplement the core as it is.

With Hronek, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Dakota, Hoglander, Bleuger, Suter, Cole and Zadorov needing new contracts in the next 2 years or so we're going to see a need for that dpth on cheap contracts.

So for me, unless the return is an under contract quality RHC/RHD under 27 years old with some term left we need to keep those 1st and 2nd round picks for the next 2-3 seasons.

Had we not blown a few years of 1sts and 2nds I'd be more amiable to shedding them but we just don't have the depth or cheap contracts and we don't know if this year is a one off or not. Just too many variables to lose those picks for rentals

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Will add often have I seen the Canucks trade their first when they shouldn't and keep it when it didn't matter. What did Hunter Shinkaruk, Brandan Gaunce, & Niklas Jensen do for this team?

Like, I look over at the Oilers and their 1st round selection Xavier Bourgault and who the eff cares if he's a good middle six forward in a couple seasons, you got Prime McDavid you should be supplementing.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Will add often have I seen the Canucks trade their first when they shouldn't and keep it when it didn't matter. What did Hunter Shinkaruk, Brandan Gaunce, & Niklas Jensen do for this team?

Like, I look over at the Oilers and their 1st round selection Xavier Bourgault and who the eff cares if he's a good middle six forward in a couple seasons, you got Prime McDavid you should be supplementing.

That’s why compared to last season it’s obvious Canucks fans are more willing to trade the pick this time around. And most wants them to trade it but i don’t like the idea of a rental. You’re also right. The later 1st rounders have all been failures except for the boeser pick.

100% in the no camp.

Why?

Because every available player that is a subject of trade talk is a pure rental due a large contract compared to what they're making now. This is a serious step forward year but by and large much of the core is the same as we've had for the last 6 years where we couldn't do much.

I say sweat this season out. We KNOW this team can beat anyone as it is made up. We have quality depth in the minors for the first time in a decade. Let this team do what it will and keep those 1st round picks because the one thing we need more than anything is an infusion of youth on ELC's that can supplement the core as it is.

With Hronek, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Dakota, Hoglander, Bleuger, Suter, Cole and Zadorov needing new contracts in the next 2 years or so we're going to see a need for that dpth on cheap contracts.

So for me, unless the return is an under contract quality RHC/RHD under 27 years old with some term left we need to keep those 1st and 2nd round picks for the next 2-3 seasons.

Had we not blown a few years of 1sts and 2nds I'd be more amiable to shedding them but we just don't have the depth or cheap contracts and we don't know if this year is a one off or not. Just too many variables to lose those picks for rentals
Kuzmenko might might be gone wether we trade him or he finds a new team as a free agent.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Make the pick, if we want to keep our window open beyond the next few years, we need contributors throughout the lineup on ELCs. Our core is all going to be on their big UFA contracts, we can't afford anymore of those beyond Miller, Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek, Demko. By the time this pick is ready to play, some of our current prospects will be graduating to their first RFA deals, too. I have a lot of confidence in our development system now with Abbotsford and the unified coaching and development staffs, and I think we can leverage that by making our picks and growing them in our system. The name of the game in a cap world is to get as much value as you can out of your assets, and the only assets every team gets are their cap dollars, existing player contracts, and draft picks. I do believe for where we are picking, the most value we can get out of our 1st will be making the pick. If there's some wild home run deal out there, obviously I'd do it, but it is a definite no to rentals.

I also think it will take a few years playing as a top team and some hard playoff losses to become a real contender. Teams improve as a group over years, this Canucks team is still wet behind the ears when it comes to playoffs and being a dominant regular season team. I would also rather have many years as a moderate contender as opposed to going all in for 1-2 years and then becoming a top heavy team with no depth. Winning requires a bit of luck and good timing to be healthy and hot enough to win, so I'd rather have more playoff births than a couple really good ones when one injury to Hughes or Demko can sink the whole ship.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

For every Jensen/Gaunce/Shinkaruk type miss you could get a Robertson, Pastrnak, Johnston, Mercer, Pinto, etc hit as well.

Regardless, if there’s a trade to be made that involves a first then so be it. If it’s just for a rental then no.

I also get the idea management is not inclined to trade 1sts or prospects whatsoever. At least that’s the vision that Rutherford has come out and said, about wanting our prospects that are projecting well to be contributing factors for us on their ELC’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad