Salary Cap: Trade or keep 1st Round Pick? (2024 Edition)

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of trading 1st round picks in the 10-20 range. Those players are more likely to contribute in a few years (see lekkermaki and Willander). Only way I trade a pick in that range is if it's for a longer term piece.

If we stay near the top of the standings until the trade deadline then I'm more inclined to trade the pick. Now having said that I would be looking to add players open to extensions here Guentzel? Tanev?)

I think this is a question best answered by how the Canucks play these next few months.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The Canucks have to walk a delicate line between competing now and building for the future. Sure the pick should be in play but only if the deal makes sense in the context of the Canucks projected roster, cap situation, and how close management believes they are to having a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup. I find it difficult to imagine such a deal happening this year.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canucks are atop the Western Conference. The prospect pipeline has players that are tracking to play in the NHL. Is now the time to seriously consider trading the 1st round pick?

Yes, just not this years. We will need the ELC down the road for the leaner years of the OEL buyout and this years draftee will have a full season of development ahead of next years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks remain one of the top-five teams in the league through the rest of the schedule, then if tradition at the TDL means anything, they dangle their first round pick to add value for the grinding playoff stretch.

This thing is, the Canucks are on such a roll at the draft table, that trading the pick just seems counterproductive over the longer term.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If the Canucks remain one of the top-five teams in the league through the rest of the schedule, then if tradition at the TDL means anything, they dangle their first round pick to add value for the grinding playoff stretch.

This thing is, the Canucks are on such a roll at the draft table, that trading the pick just seems counterproductive over the longer term.
Hey Jack, good post and I concur. Trading picks for roster players provides immediate help but sacrifices the long term plans for the team. Always a huge fan of your opinions.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, just not this years. We will need the ELC down the road for the leaner years of the OEL buyout and this years draftee will have a full season of development ahead of next years.
Ignoring the ELC discussion, if the Canucks are in a position to win the division, would next year’s pick have higher value? Usually it doesn’t. And from a Canucks fan standpoint, where do you think the Canucks will finish next season?

If the Canucks continue to compete for the division crown, I would give up this year’s pick and bet that the pick will likely be in the 20s (or even mid to late 20s) and not worry what might happen next year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Just going to repost what I said last year...

Depends on what we are getting both in trade and at what our pick is. You don't 100% trade this pick... cause thats how you fail. You don't 100% keep this pick, because that too is how you fail.

i would lean towards keeping the pick, but if the right deal is there you take it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd move the pick, but absolutely not for a rental. If you can acquire a top-nine forward with a bit of cost control that would intrigue me.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ignoring the ELC discussion, if the Canucks are in a position to win the division, would next year’s pick have higher value? Usually it doesn’t. And from a Canucks fan standpoint, where do you think the Canucks will finish next season?

If the Canucks continue to compete for the division crown, I would give up this year’s pick and bet that the pick will likely be in the 20s (or even mid to late 20s) and not worry what might happen next year.

That is the interesting thing about this is I can see your side as well. It’s going to be fun to see what management does.

Basically my idea comes down to “what” you value, 1 extra year of development or potentially picking high next year, and the gamble that comes with it.

I think if the goal is to stay competitive in the short term, we ought to keep this years and bet on being able to repeat next year, which obviously is a bigger risk. I just think the risk the pick holds is more enticing for other teams and maybe you are able to get more back even though the receiving team will have to wait.

Reactions: F A N

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Its never the question whether you trade or keep it.

It all depends what you are getting back.

The pick is available every year.
This. There are a few wizards that say it’s a one to two year window which is beyond hilarious, but perhaps trading for a solid youngish player might extend the window to 2 -3 years.:laugh:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’m going on the record of saying yes—trade the 1st and any prospect besides Willander or Lekkerimaki.

But only if it is for an impact player. Jake Guentzel is the ideal target. I think this roster will still need help scoring goals in the playoffs and few are better.

The team is having a great season—and there is enough uncertainty around Pettersson and the upcoming salary cap pressures—that it’s uncertain that they’ll get as good a shot as they have this year.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I’d move it but not for a rental. I’d add in a decent piece to get a guy with a couple years term.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
if we are a top 5 team at TDL, then I'd be open to deal it. All the years of Gaunce Shroeder Jensen White really ruined my appetite for late firsts, unless its deep years, which 2024 is most likely not. Thats when Boeser and Kesler happens. I dont care how much Allvin can mine out of Sweden, if you are top 5 you owe this team something for a great regular season.

Reactions: Jovofan

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The problem is that any decent target with term is going to make our cap situation this summer even worse. We are already going to have trouble signing a bunch of our expiring contracts as it is. And as I have said repeatedly on here, a team in contention for the 1st time in 10 years should not decide thats its suddenly the time to go all in and damn the torpedos.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The problem is that any decent target with term is going to make our cap situation this summer even worse. We are already going to have trouble signing a bunch of our expiring contracts as it is. And as I have said repeatedly on here, a team in contention for the 1st time in 10 years should not decide thats its suddenly the time to go all in and damn the torpedos.
I think our contention window wont be long with how the team has been missmanaged.

We have one cost controlled star in QH, no prospects and no pick surplus.

So going all in might make sense.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think our contention window wont be long with how the team has been missmanaged.

We have one cost controlled star in QH, no prospects and no pick surplus.

So going all in might make sense.
Lekker and Willander are not prospects.?....ok.

(makes your points even more hilarious that our prospect was MVP at the WJC).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
i'd like to see us move it for something more than a rental.
If their 2024 first round pick would help land a legit, top-six scoring forward, then it's sorely tempting.

And one thing about Rutherford......once he has a competitive team that's in the Cup mix, he's never been afraid to deal his first rounder for just such a player. Of course it helped having Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury etc. in the primes of their careers in Pittsburgh.

But I have faith in Allvin. I was as bummed out as anyone when the Canucks dealt the first rounder they got from the Islanders, plus their own second rounder to acquire Hronek. But clearly that's a trade you'd make again.

So if he ends up trading the Canucks pick in the 23-30 range he's going to get something of legitimate value back--and not just a rental.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Trade the pick. They need to push their chips in for this season. Buncha guys having career years.

f*** the future. This team can win now. There is no guarantee everything will line up like this again next year.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Ive always said you keep picks and prospects but considerring how the team has performed this year, it'd be a disrepsect to not give them an extra edge for the playoffs.

Reactions: Flik

Binder

Nov 7, 2011
minnesota is a disaster

i would be calling about Eriksson Ek for 2nd line center
would love o'reilly too but dont think Nashville gives him up

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
minnesota is a disaster

i would be calling about Eriksson Ek for 2nd line center
would love o'reilly too but dont think Nashville gives him up
Yeah, they're going nowhere, yet are only 3 points out of a wildcard spot. If he was available, considering contract he's on, his age and the rapid increase in salaries in the deals recently signed, there would be a bidding war. They'd be asking for a roster player (kuzmenko?), top prospect (Lekkermaki or Wilander) and at least a 1st, if not two. I would absolutely do that deal for Kuz, Lekkermaki and a 1st, but probably not if it was Wilander.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Canucks are atop the Western Conference. The prospect pipeline has players that are tracking to play in the NHL. Is now the time to seriously consider trading the 1st round pick?
I would trade it, and trade it asap before the deadline, but not for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad