Confirmed with Link: Trade: Namestnikov for a 2021 4th round pick and Ebert

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'd like to point out that this guy is a season removed from a 50 point campaign. Not a bad acquisition for a 4th round pick and an overseas signing.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I’m still lost and confused as to what this is meant to achieve; are we trying to shelter the rookies? Make a push for the playoffs? I don’t understand the logic behind this trade.

sure, on paper it’s hard to argue that it’s a loss but I just don’t get it. What’s the need for it? What does Dorian see as the end result? Why have we taken a serviceable asset from Bingo for this to happen as well?

I, like everyone, have so many questions :laugh:

on a personal level though, I’ve always had a soft spot for Namestnikov ever since his TB days so I don’t mind too much.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I would not trade Pageau because if this trade but I think other teams will key on him over Tierney or Boedker.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I believe it is only fair to look at the odds based on history. When was the last time Dorion flat out "won" a trade. And I do not mean, "not a bad trade"; specifically recall a trade for me that Dorion can brag about as receiving the better asset in the deal without a doubt?

Dzingel for duclair and two 2nds. Hands down win. Duclair is as good or better than dzingel. Two free seconds.

Reactions: Larionov

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Something has to give. Pageau is in his last year, one of our only forwards with good value, and we likely won't want to pay him what he'd get on the open market. Possible that they'd trade Tierney as well though, but I think Pageau would return more and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Anisimov has an extra year, he's most likely staying and we just acquired him.

I'd much rather trade Tierney, and simply keep Pageau but I doubt it happens.

Can pageau actually demand that much?

He's gotten 33 points in a full season, then 29 points in a full season, then 12 in a half season.

He's a 30 point player and is what he is at this point. They don't exactly command 4-5-6 million. He could probably be signed for under 3 mil per year with term.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
What is there not to understand here? Quite simple to me...you get a stop gap with a little skill to keep a young player down in the AHL to develop away from this dumpster fire. That in itself is probably worth a 4th.

Now consider; even if he doesn't play very well or fit, the Sens will probably get the 4th back worst case scenario. I think its more likely he does okay with the ice time given to him and returns a 3rd at the TDL, maybe even a 2nd.

Out of all the moves to slap the tag "cheap" on and complain, Melnyk actually just okay'ed money coming back. Spending 2-3 mil to do whats best for a guy like Brown's development. I like it.

Reactions: coladin

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Can pageau actually demand that much?

He's gotten 33 points in a full season, then 29 points in a full season, then 12 in a half season.

He's a 30 point player and is what he is at this point. They don't exactly command 4-5-6 million. He could probably be signed for under 3 mil per year with term.
Agree
Only here Pageau and Bobby have little worth because of their playoffs play
But we are so so far away from playoff spot
So it doesnt matter much

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
if this is a pump and dump whatever. if its to make Tierney and or pageau expendable for a nice little package then whatever. but I think this is just melnyk being like " but pierre...you saaaiiid we would be competitive"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did we need a forward with more experience and talent to come in and shield the kids, especially in the top-6? Yes.

Is Namestikov that forward? Hell no.

He was only good when playing with Tampa's top guys. He's invisible otherwise. And we already have a bunch of guys like him in Tierney, Anisimov, Boedker and Ryan(not just in terms of position but talent level).

This can only take away a spot from the rookies/young players without bringing anything we lack. Pointless move from Pierre once again.
yeah they must really be worried about the confidence... as DJ himself pointed out. or else the fans would rather tank with the young guy than watching these veteran plugs.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Don t know how to put a tweet but agent of Names said he his really happy to come hear. Good thing I guess

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
if this is a pump and dump whatever. if its to make Tierney and or pageau expendable for a nice little package then whatever. but I think this is just melnyk being like " but pierre...you saaaiiid we would be competitive"

Feels like an early panic set of moves. Price was low though so not a bad buy , if redundant. This add is not going to change much. Its not like we can plug one whole with a 3rd line player and voila .. we are there.

I would have sent Batherson down out of training camp. They decide to keep him 2 games. He starts showing signs of life then they send him down. Good for Belleville and good for Batherson.
Chlapik , was given the FU treatment Nick Paul got from Boucher and Dorion because he can't just sit on his hands here.. They tell him he made the team, played him 5 minutes and change , sit him out and sent him down. Feel bad for the kid, but he is really better off in Belleville.

Nothing against Namestnikov and we could end up with a 3rd for a 4th and Ebert , possibly, ,,, not sure that is a win.

Dorion takes over team from Murray... hires Boucher, trades Zibanejad, team goes on a playoff run.
Dorion and Boucher then manage to get us into 29th place
Dorion dismantles team for mediocre players and prospects , I'll leave Boucher out of this one, gets into 31st place
Dorion fires Boucher, hires rookie coach Smith; The Kids are alright is the embraced; Send 2 kids making the team out of camp to the AHL after 2 games, brings in another vet.

The style of play has changed but I am not convinced we have the horses to play that style.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Don t know how to put a tweet but agent of Names said he his really happy to come hear. Good thing I guess

Getting traded from Tampa to the Rangers must have been a real kick in the nuts.

Hopefully he appreciates how much of an opportunity he is going to get here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hopefully he appreciates how much of an opportunity he is going to get here.

If ever there was a chance for Namestinkov to play top line minutes and pad his stats ahead of a big potential UFA payday, this is it.

He's going from a support guy on an average team to one of the "core" (I'm gonna use that word lightly, lol) pieces on a real bad one. Could pay off huge for him in his next contract if he can make the most of it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Tierney, DeMelo/Hainsey (I know, not Hainsey but give them the choice) - 2020 1st and JJohnson. They want out of Johnson and DeMelo or Hainsey can play his spot. Tierney fills in at C.

If not DeMelo/Hainsey then Ennis or Anisimov.

Come On PD - negotiate this.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Tierney, DeMelo/Hainsey (I know, not Hainsey but give them the choice) - 2020 1st and JJohnson. They want out of Johnson...

Can we please not live in a world where I have to watch Jack Johnson in a Sens uniform for the next FOUR years?

Life is already miserable enough as a fan of this team. The Pens want out of Johnson for a reason - he's awful, and signed LONG TERM. I'm all for taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets, but they need to be short-term bad contracts, not almost half a decade.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Can we please not live in a world where I have to watch Jack Johnson in a Sens uniform for the next FOUR years?

Life is already miserable enough as a fan of this team. The Pens want out of Johnson for a reason - he's awful, and signed LONG TERM. I'm all for taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets, but they need to be short-term bad contracts, not almost half a decade.
I honestly forgot the guy was still playing in the league. Four more years, eh? Wow.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't mind this as a pump and dump move. I also don't mind it if we have another move lined up and he's a place holder until the kids are ready. As any other type of move? Meh, not seeing the point. But for value, no issues with the trade. I hope he gets hot and we can get a 3rd for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad