Confirmed with Link: Trade: Namestnikov for a 2021 4th round pick and Ebert

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If by next year we don't have a few young players ready to take middle-6 spots we're in bigger trouble than I thought.
I agree that we need those guys too but they wouldn’t be able to reach the floor that way from what I’ve seen. I believe White, Chabot, Zaitsev, Nilsson, Wolanin and Anisimov are the only players signed for next year who aren’t ELCs. Unless I’m missing a guy or two.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I agree that we need those guys too but they wouldn’t be able to reach the floor that way from what I’ve seen. I believe White, Chabot, Zaitsev, Nilsson, Wolanin and Anisimov are the only players signed for next year who aren’t ELCs. Unless I’m missing a guy or two.

In that case, why not spend a few extra millions to get a *real* top-6 guy?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Why are people complaining about this deal so much?

He’s an alright 3C/3LW and analytically speaking he’s actually decent defensively and our defensive game is horrid. People acting like adding a player is going to ruin the tank or something, it’s a 35-40 point player not Connor McDavid, lol. Also it’s one middle round pick, that we will likely get back once we flip him at the deadline. He will get power play time and Top 6 minutes here and probably hit 25 points before the deadline and get us maybe a 3rd and a prospect.

Also, if we don’t trade him at the deadline, it gives us more flexibility to trade Pageau and Tierney, just in case Brown and Norris aren’t ready.

I see him as an experiment similar to Duclair. Maybe he’d be willing to sign a short term extension if he shows well? If his demands are nuts then we can just flip him at the deadline as you mentioned and get back more than we gave up. We essentially would have used him as a gateway to upgrade a pick. And if it helps pad the stats of some of our other guys then so be it. Either way we desperately need help on the wings. In regards to people complaining about this due to him not being as big an impact player as they would have liked - would they rather we ship off an actual asset to acquire someone of higher current quality? How’d that work out for us? Alternatively would they rather we leave Batherson up here to fill the void? Not to mention we already replaced him with Abramov who’s clearly more ready at this point, but what if it becomes evident he too needs more seasoning in the A? What ever happened to the idea development? Don’t rush the kids! But play them! Wait a little to the left! Bit to the right! Oh f*** you ruined it! Cheese n rice.

Last edited:

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Vlad will be a decent 3rd line C for us until he's flipped at the deadline... but the real gem here is that it allows Dorion to trade on or hopefully both of Pageau and Tierney! Both of those guys will be getting bad deals on their next contracts. Best for the Sens to stay away.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
More I think of it, the less I buy the pump 'n dump theory. We're likely going to be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league this season. I don't see much opportunity for anyone to inflate their stats.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This is such a meh deal. Namestnikov sucks. I mean he's so soft, Aragorn's brain will turn liquid after one game of watching him. I don't mind it from the big club perspective I guess, we are tanking. But no one has raised the point that this hurts the AHL team. The D is suspect as is, and now they are losing one of their better defensemen.

Also this feels like there is another move coming.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I believe it is only fair to look at the odds based on history. When was the last time Dorion flat out "won" a trade. And I do not mean, "not a bad trade"; specifically recall a trade for me that Dorion can brag about as receiving the better asset in the deal without a doubt?
I don't have an answer to your question tbh. That's pretty telling.

There have been some small victories, but when you put together those Dorion lists of assets in assets out, yeesh is it bad. He should have been fired by now imo, but I have no hope for who would be hired anyways that it really doesnt matter.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like that it keeps kids in Belleville. I could care less who they try out on the big team this year.

we are looking to tank, left a few spots open for rookies, and no one really stepped up save for Abramov, Balcers, and EB.

Abramov is now up for a look and a chance, Balcers is injured, and EB is looking good.

We need bodies in the team to fill roster spots so we don’t have to bring up kids from Belleville, and if those bodies can become decent players that we can either keep, or get a little more back for, them good.

there is literally nothing to lose with this deal, and zero reason for confusion. Looks like this season will be much like last season in here no matter what happens.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Two thoughts:

- we're no longer allergic to Russian players, and the more Russians we have the more likely it could be to sign actual good ones from the KHL in the future. Therefore I wouldn't be opposed to extending him, especially if we're going to lose Tierney and Pageau at the deadline. Somebody needs to play centre for us next year. White - Brown - Anisimov - Namestnikov

- but if we're not going to extend him, the quality of this trade will fully depend on what we can get back for him at the deadline. As long as we can recover a 3rd rounder I'm ok with this.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
As others have said, there's no way a team like ours would take on over 3M in salary just because we can. There has to be another move on the way.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pageau makes 3.4 mil in actual salary, Namestnikov with the retention will make 3.25 mil.
If Pageau is the one that has to leave because of that, we made this trade to save 150 thousand dollars... disgusting.
Or. Maybe. Pageau can bring in a nice return from someone. AND we save 150 k

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Why you say dis

Something has to give. Pageau is in his last year, one of our only forwards with good value, and we likely won't want to pay him what he'd get on the open market. Possible that they'd trade Tierney as well though, but I think Pageau would return more and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Anisimov has an extra year, he's most likely staying and we just acquired him.

I'd much rather trade Tierney, and simply keep Pageau but I doubt it happens.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
the kids are alright but the old guys are the best!
(you would hope this means something else is happening, but with these dummies at the top who the heck knows)
Gives anisimov a russian buddy to play with.
Funny I was just looking at his db page today.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I see two scenarios here:

1. We acquire a player of similar age, salary and production to replace Pageau. We are able to return more for Pageau by trading him at the beginning of the year, as teams have demonstrated for the last few years that they won't pay in trade for pending UFAs at the deadline. I'm guessing in this scenario the original hope was that one or two of the kids would grab hold of a spot on the team and we would replace Pageau internally.
OR
2. Dorion is worried about the dreadful start and felt the need to "shake" up the roster. Seems improbable after just 2 games. But maybe he's giving Smith the best chance to succeed by supporting the youth of the team with more veterans? Still seems like a very unlikely scenario.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It just buys time for the prospects. The organization obviously misread the readiness of the prospects. No one knocked the door down. It was a milquetoast a camp as I can recall. So, they are thinking long term. I like it for what it is

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also. Not a bad move. We gave up practically nothing, and got a player that can push Sabourin to the 13th forward role, where he should be. Would have been nice to see one of the rookies step up and take that position, but it hasn't happened.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad