Proposal: Trade Mason

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Im only at 3 or 4 but I dont regret any of them lol

That's a good start. :handclap:

Anyone who isn't blocking the obvious trolls is not just making the forum worse for themselves, it's making it worse for the rest of us who end up seeing their garbage in quotes.

PensBrony 6 9*

That's a good start. :handclap:

Anyone who isn't blocking the obvious trolls is not just making the forum worse for themselves, it's making it worse for the rest of us who end up seeing their garbage in quotes.

Just because someone has a different opinion from you doesn't mean they're "trolling". There are certain people (usually the same ones) on here who just want an echo chamber for their generally incorrect analysis of the team and anyone who says differently is "trolling". The same thing happened with raffl. The usual suspects (including one mod) were so certain that he was going to be a 20 goal sniper for the rest of his career that people were getting infractions and stuff for saying he wasn't. Again, there's been hardly any response to the substance of my post, which was that Mason was a well-known headcase before we got him and had a breakdown in the playoffs last year (yes, the worst goal in NHL history and the ensuing 6 goal meltdown qualifies as a breakdown). This is the guy who's going to take a young team through the playoffs?

PensBrony 6 9*

why? He is consistently great.

youre just fabricating an issue. your posts are devoid of logic

if you're saying his playoff run was "great" then you're the one fabricating. he was consistently bad in those games and has been in 2 of his 3 chances in the playoffs. he doesn't have the right mentality to play consistently well when something is actually on the line, whether it's his job or it's a playoff series.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
Just because someone has a different opinion from you doesn't mean they're "trolling". There are certain people (usually the same ones) on here who just want an echo chamber for their generally incorrect analysis of the team and anyone who says differently is "trolling". The same thing happened with raffl. The usual suspects (including one mod) were so certain that he was going to be a 20 goal sniper for the rest of his career that people were getting infractions and stuff for saying he wasn't. Again, there's been hardly any response to the substance of my post, which was that Mason was a well-known headcase before we got him and had a breakdown in the playoffs last year (yes, the worst goal in NHL history and the ensuing 6 goal meltdown qualifies as a breakdown). This is the guy who's going to take a young team through the playoffs?

You mean the goalie who has statistically been one the best goalies in the league the past few years? You mean the goalie who took a team with a negative goal differential to the playoffs this past season? Yea, he's the problem. 100% you nailed it. It wasn't the lack of offensive production or bad special teams that led to our 1st round exit.

Oh and if you think that one game amounts to an insurmountable "mental breakdown", Patrick Roy would like a word with you.

People having dissenting opinions from yours is a part of life. Either you agree to disagree, or you condemn everybody else as wrong and only seek out self-affirming voices. That is the very definition of an echo chamber, and it appears that you're the only one looking for one here.

PensBrony 6 9*

You mean the goalie who has statistically been one the best goalies in the league the past few years? You mean the goalie who took a team with a negative goal differential to the playoffs this past season? Yea, he's the problem. 100% you nailed it. It wasn't the lack of offensive production or bad special teams that led to our 1st round exit.

Oh and if you think that one game amounts to an insurmountable "mental breakdown", Patrick Roy would like a word with you.

People having dissenting opinions from yours is a part of life. Either you agree to disagree, or you condemn everybody else as wrong and only seek out self-affirming voices. That is the very definition of an echo chamber, and it appears that you're the only one looking for one here.

One of the best goalies overall? Or one of the best goalies with cherry-picked 5v5 corsi-adjusted stats or whatever? I haven't seen any compelling argument for the former. You're right about the series though, it wasn't entirely his fault, although his sub .900 save percentage certainly didn't do them any favors. If he had put up at least average numbers, they would have had a chance to win in spite of the shortcomings of the rest of the team. That much was proven when Neuvirth came in and they actually did start to win. That's the point. Even if the rest of the team was championship-caliber, they're not going to get very far when the goalie can't maintain even a .900 save percentage. It wasn't even just one series. He's sub-.900 CAREER in the playoffs. That's unacceptable. Meanwhile, if Mason had even half the talent of Patrick Roy, he wouldn't have lost his starting job in Columbus, let alone put up the horrible numbers he has in the playoffs. He's not Patrick Roy, and i think you're being disingenuous by implying that they're even comparable. That was a completely different situation, and again, it isn't just one game. It's his entire stint in Columbus and his career playoff performance that i'm calling into question. As far as me looking for an echo chamber, i'd like to know where you see that happening...I'm professing my opinion in spite of people dismissing what i'm saying as "trolling" and attacking my credibility as an internet poster (lol) in lieu of actually debating me on the point i'm making. Where in this thread so far am I finding these "self-affirming voices" that you're saying I came here for?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
if you're saying his playoff run was "great" then you're the one fabricating. he was consistently bad in those games and has been in 2 of his 3 chances in the playoffs. he doesn't have the right mentality to play consistently well when something is actually on the line, whether it's his job or it's a playoff series.

His playoff run was an aberration, an outlier easily explained by how fatigued he looked which is a natural consequence of being the sole goalie to finish the season.

Why do you ignore the NYR series he damned near turned around on his own? Too inconvenient for your false narrative?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

very well said...:handclap:

PensBrony 6 9*

His playoff run was an aberration, an outlier easily explained by how fatigued he looked which is a natural consequence of being the sole goalie to finish the season.

Why do you ignore the NYR series he damned near turned around on his own? Too inconvenient for your false narrative?

lol, look at the stats bro, the NYR series was the outlier, not this one. Moreover, look at the situation he entered in that series: the team is down and out, he's coming back from an injury, they're expected to lose, the series is already over...there's no pressure. No expectation. That's the exact situation he plays well in. The funny thing is that the putrid stats he's put up in the other two series he's been involved in more than outweigh that one good performance he had.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The NYR series is perfectly in line with his stats as a Flyer.

But you can keep up your hater campaign without me. I'm not gong to waste my time reasoning with someone who isn't interested in reason. Have fun advocating for trading our steadiest goalie in ages, that goalie carousel we ran for years sure was awesome. Jawesome, even.

jawesome_by_lordrhino15-d6xtih2.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There's no pressure ever, except in the playoffs. Well no, not just any playoffs. Just the playoffs when they're the underdog. No, not when they're playing against the Presidents' Trophy winner in the first round. There was pressure then because Mason was terrible and also pressured.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
lol, look at the stats bro, the NYR series was the outlier, not this one. Moreover, look at the situation he entered in that series: the team is down and out, he's coming back from an injury, they're expected to lose, the series is already over...there's no pressure. No expectation. That's the exact situation he plays well in. The funny thing is that the putrid stats he's put up in the other two series he's been involved in more than outweigh that one good performance he had.

Why don't you add a bit of context? Like, how he had to carry the team on his back and play every game for the last fifth of the season, which obviously wore him down? The guy can't play 30 games in a row in the midst of a dogfight to make the playoffs, he's obviously a putrid goalie...

How long have you been a Flyers fan? Or do you just have amnesia? Do you know how long it's been since we had a solid goalie? Would you prefer the Esche-Burke-Niittymaki-Boucher-Leighton-Bryzgalov days?

The rest I'm not even going to bother with, if you couldn't listen to reason from someone else, I'm not going to pretend like you will listen to anything I have to say.

Giroux4Sochi

Feb 4, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
5 on 5 save percentage 2015-2016 with goalies who played at least 2000 minutes, Mason is 1st and the year before that he was also 1st. Since Mason has been playing full seasons with the flyers Mason has never finished below 15th amongst goalies playing 2000 minutes

But I wish we could go back to the days with Biron and Nitty

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
If they could they should (but for draft picks and/or speedy prospects).

Trading Mason would open up a lot of cap space and goalies are easy to replace these days. Besides, you don't even have to really go out of your way to replace Mason when you got Michael Neuvirth, Anthony Stolarz, & Alex Lyon waiting at the helm.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I'd do this. Steal for TB

Quoted for laughs

Fortunately, just because you erroneously believe what you say doesn't make it objective fact.

Quoted for truth

One of the best goalies overall? Or one of the best goalies with cherry-picked 5v5 corsi-adjusted stats or whatever? I haven't seen any compelling argument for the former. You're right about the series though, it wasn't entirely his fault, although his sub .900 save percentage certainly didn't do them any favors. If he had put up at least average numbers, they would have had a chance to win in spite of the shortcomings of the rest of the team. That much was proven when Neuvirth came in and they actually did start to win. That's the point. Even if the rest of the team was championship-caliber, they're not going to get very far when the goalie can't maintain even a .900 save percentage. It wasn't even just one series. He's sub-.900 CAREER in the playoffs. That's unacceptable. Meanwhile, if Mason had even half the talent of Patrick Roy, he wouldn't have lost his starting job in Columbus, let alone put up the horrible numbers he has in the playoffs. He's not Patrick Roy, and i think you're being disingenuous by implying that they're even comparable. That was a completely different situation, and again, it isn't just one game. It's his entire stint in Columbus and his career playoff performance that i'm calling into question. As far as me looking for an echo chamber, i'd like to know where you see that happening...I'm professing my opinion in spite of people dismissing what i'm saying as "trolling" and attacking my credibility as an internet poster (lol) in lieu of actually debating me on the point i'm making. Where in this thread so far am I finding these "self-affirming voices" that you're saying I came here for?

Quoted for bull crap

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mason is our #1

He's really good

Let's be happy with that

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
But he allowed 7 goals against Florida and then 7 months later allowed a goal from center ice. Who cares about all of that excellent play inbetween, including like 15 straight starts in the midst of a playoff push. He must go.

Ghost had a huge impact on us making the playoffs last year but without Mase, we don't sniff them. Keep him

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad