Proposal: Trade Mason

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Yeah! What kind of terrible defense allows shots from the red line?? He's also the reason they lost in the first round. The team wasn't great but if neuvirth started at least one more game I think they would have won it. He was also the better goalie through the season. Him coming in when Mason got hurt and OUTPERFORMING him (people seem to forget he became the presumptive starter before getting hurt himself) is the real reason they made the playoffs. Mason is mentally soft and he'll never lead a team to a cup. I hope I'm wrong but it's become painfully obvious. He just doesn't have the mental fortitude.

i cant even tell if this post is serious... :help:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Yeah! What kind of terrible defense allows shots from the red line?? He's also the reason they lost in the first round. The team wasn't great but if neuvirth started at least one more game I think they would have won it. He was also the better goalie through the season. Him coming in when Mason got hurt and OUTPERFORMING him (people seem to forget he became the presumptive starter before getting hurt himself) is the real reason they made the playoffs. Mason is mentally soft and he'll never lead a team to a cup. I hope I'm wrong but it's become painfully obvious. He just doesn't have the mental fortitude.

He outperformed in spot starts yet started to severely fall off when he held the net during Mason's injury. I'm not convinced that Neuvirth is anything more than a great backup/1B.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Mason has any serious mental issues. It seems like more of a personal impression based on results.

Last edited:

PensBrony 6 9*

i cant even tell if this post is serious... :help:

Nice response. At least I contributed something to the conversation besides my own lack of comprehension. Back to the point, the story of the guy's whole career so far has been mental problems/errors. Giving up the worst goal in NHL history at a point where the flyers were still in the series just reinforced that. I personally wouldn't care if that was the last time I saw him in a flyers jersey. He just doesn't have it.

PensBrony 6 9*

I like how people forget his impact on the Rangers series so readily

Wow, so he was better than Ray Emery with one living hip bone, big accomplishment. Neuvirth would have been just as good as Mason and you don't have to worry about him having a nervous breakdown. Funny you mention that series though, because after that it was pretty clear to everyone that Emery was finished (if it wasn't already), yet the same situation happens with Mason and Neuvirth and everyone is still clinging.

PensBrony 6 9*

He outperformed in spot starts yet started to severely fall off when he held the net during Mason's injury. I'm not convinced that Neuvirth is anything more than a great backup/1B.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Mason has any serious mental issues. It seems like more of a personal impression based on results.

The whole reason Mason was available for the flyers to get in the first place is that he had well-documented mental issues in Columbus.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wow, so he was better than Ray Emery with one living hip bone, big accomplishment. Neuvirth would have been just as good as Mason and you don't have to worry about him having a nervous breakdown. Funny you mention that series though, because after that it was pretty clear to everyone that Emery was finished (if it wasn't already), yet the same situation happens with Mason and Neuvirth and everyone is still clinging.

When has Mason had a nervous break? When you have to spin fantasies to support your point it isn't a strong point.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Not gonna lie I think Bishop is better than Mason. But with the injuries and the big $$ Bishop is going to get I'd rather keep Mason.

PensBrony 6 9*

So you dont have proof. Good luck with your witch hunt.

You're right, he reacted really well to that goal. What was the final score of that game again? 2-1? Oh wait nah, it was 6 lol. Not to mention his history in Columbus.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't think we have to tear down Neuvy in order to support Mason - just saying. Both of them are quality. I'm more worried about JonesyJinx having a nervous breakdown than Mason at this point.

PensBrony 6 9*

I don't think we have to tear down Neuvy in order to support Mason - just saying. Both of them are quality. I'm more worried about JonesyJinx having a nervous breakdown than Mason at this point.

I'll definitely be biting my nails when mason's in net

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The whole reason Mason was available for the flyers to get in the first place is that he had well-documented mental issues in Columbus.

Right, in Columbus.

That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to try frame his relatively short body of work against a netminder that has now had three strong campaigns with this team.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nice response. At least I contributed something to the conversation besides my own lack of comprehension. Back to the point, the story of the guy's whole career so far has been mental problems/errors. Giving up the worst goal in NHL history at a point where the flyers were still in the series just reinforced that. I personally wouldn't care if that was the last time I saw him in a flyers jersey. He just doesn't have it.

Gonna go ahead and step in here to say no, you definitely didn't contribute anything of value to the conversation.

PensBrony 6 9*

Gonna go ahead and step in here to say no, you definitely didn't contribute anything of value to the conversation.

well considering you're consistently wrong about almost everything you discuss on here, i guess i'll take that as a validation of what i wrote. thanks.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
This wasn't a well thought out post.

Here's why.

Mason is a good goalie that has 1 year left on his contract. Neuvirth is in the same position. I'm sure Hakstol and Hextall are waiting to see between the two of them who rises to the top. Meanwhile you buy some more time with the Stolarz and Lyons to see who between them could make the jump the the NHL. Also more development for the prospects in the juniors or pro leagues overseas.

The flyers aren't in a position to trade their goalies. They need this depth right now.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Did people like the old days with the goalie carousel? Trading Mason would be awful

Could be necessary. Mason will be expensive. Rather pay for skilled, young defensemen than a tier below great goalie until his mid to late 30s.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I worry about how Mason will age. He's not one of those tooth picks and plays a really rubbery game deep in his net. No complaints about his production thus far though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad