Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The fact that we have no other real goalie prospects in the pool does make the Saros question a bit more complicated. Although Groesnick does have a career .933 save percentage in the NHL so maybe he can be the next Tim Thomas.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The fact that we have no other real goalie prospects in the pool does make the Saros question a bit more complicated. Although Groesnick does have a career .933 save percentage in the NHL so maybe he can be the next Tim Thomas.
I think Haider is next man up after Askarov. We did sign Grigals for the rest of the season which puts him under our control as a RFA afterwards so we can extend him as well. After that, we really dont have much of anything. Jatkola's numbers in the Liiga arent great.

Teams just dont draft alot of goalies though when they have their goaltending situation under control. We have saros at the nhl level and a high end prospect in Askarov. The team isnt going to throw alot of picks at goalies at the moment.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think Haider is next man up after Askarov. We did sign Grigals for the rest of the season which puts him under our control as a RFA afterwards so we can extend him as well. After that, we really dont have much of anything. Jatkola's numbers in the Liiga arent great.

Teams just dont draft alot of goalies though when they have their goaltending situation under control. We have saros at the nhl level and a high end prospect in Askarov. The team isnt going to throw alot of picks at goalies at the moment.
Granted I haven't watched them play but both Grigals and Haiders numbers don't jump out as me as guys I see as much more than an AHL level backup. I think the other issue with building a goalie pipeline beyond the draft picks is just that there isn't a lot of opportunity for ice time. For instance, I think it was a great idea to bring back Groesnick as a veteran presence to back up Askarov but that also makes it such that your next best prospect has to play in the ECHL.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Granted I haven't watched them play but both Grigals and Haiders numbers don't jump out as me as guys I see as much more than an AHL level backup. I think the other issue with building a goalie pipeline beyond the draft picks is just that there isn't a lot of opportunity for ice time. For instance, I think it was a great idea to bring back Groesnick as a veteran presence to back up Askarov but that also makes it such that your next best prospect has to play in the ECHL.
Grigals had a pretty successful NCAA run so id give him a shot as an AHL goalie. It might get rough though and you are gonna need a veteran in there as a AHL backup. Would definitely keep Grosenick around if he is still up for it.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Grigals had a pretty successful NCAA run so id give him a shot as an AHL goalie. It might get rough though and you are gonna need a veteran in there as a AHL backup. Would definitely keep Grosenick around if he is still up for it.
The .900 save percentage in the ECHL this year is pretty brutal though. Granted it seems like the Gladiators are just terrible as a whole.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Grigals is the AHL backup next year. It's Askarov or bust for us if we don't figure out away to resign Saros

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The .900 save percentage in the ECHL this year is pretty brutal though. Granted it seems like the Gladiators are just terrible as a whole.
The main differentiator to me, just stats-watching, is that his numbers are basically about the same as all the other scrubs there on Atlanta who aren't on anybody's NHL radar. Grigals turns 26 this summer. They signed him recently for the rest of this season so that they have a goalie under contract in the event that injuries stack up, but I think it's fair to say he hasn't even shown himself to be a strong AHL candidate, let alone an NHL prospect.

If the Preds use Askarov in the NHL next season (which I think is a good possibility), then they are probably going to have to go out and find an AHL starter and NHL #3 guy on the UFA market. It's why the suggestion of re-signing Lankinen and potentially "overcooking" Askarov isn't the worst idea. It doesn't seem like any of Haider, Grigals, or Jatkola could be relied upon to play in the AHL. Grosenick turns 35, but can't handle a starters' workload at this stage of his career. Probably there isn't any NCAA free agent who could step in. Slightly higher odds if you signed a Euro free agent. But there are tons of UFA NHL depth options, so signing one of them to be the #3 guy would be the best bet if you aren't bringing Lankinen back.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I could see us using an approach like what we did with Saros in 16-17 too. Start the season with Askarov in the AHL and then call him up for spot starts. Although since we are already needing to juggle a bunch of other guys waiver status that may make it impossible.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it can bode well for us that none of the goalie-needing teams filled their needs this TDL.

If the team shits the bed in the playoffs (Saros including), I think he could be on the table during the summer again.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think, as long as Saros wants to play here, we keep him. We need him for at least one more season. Askarov looks legit, and then, doesn't.
I think Trotz was seriously considering moving Saros prior to this hot streak, but I have a really hard time seeing him trading his starting goalie from a playoff team without a clear replacement.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think, as long as Saros wants to play here, we keep him. We need him for at least one more season. Askarov looks legit, and then, doesn't.
Looking at stats, Askarov has not been that good ever since the win streak ended.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Askarov is a very young goalie. He’s playing like a very young goalie. Great games and bad games. If he continues to develop he’ll have a lot more great games than bad but it’s going to take time. What Trotz does this offseason and next years TDL will show the fans what the organization thinks of Askarov’s development and whether he’s closer to having more great games than bad games or not.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Saros AHL stats - 62 games .921 sv% 2.24 GAA 6 Shutouts

Askarov AHL stats - 81 games .912 sv% 2.54 GAA 8 shutouts

Same age as when Saros moved up to backup. Personally, i think it is time for him to come up and start back up next year.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Here's how this will play out. Ol' "shit or get off the pot" Tommy will make a lowball offer ("it's the off-season, there are more goalies and prices should be cheaper"), balk at the asking price, get the same results with Markstrom and Ullmark, then decide Jake Allen can be the #1 because "Vegas won a Cup with Adin Hill."

Saros will be a pending UFA, and there will be goalies available, but Trotz still has no need to take a subpar offer.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Askarov is a very young goalie. He’s playing like a very young goalie. Great games and bad games. If he continues to develop he’ll have a lot more great games than bad but it’s going to take time. What Trotz does this offseason and next years TDL will show the fans what the organization thinks of Askarov’s development and whether he’s closer to having more great games than bad games or not.
100% agree with this. I will be monitoring closely the rest of the season.

Since the win streak, Askarov hasn't been good (neither has the team) but if he completely falls off the map then I think the plan to trade Saros could change. Vice-versa, if he goes on a run and carries MIL to the Calder Cup, I think Saros is toast this summer.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Here's how this will play out. Ol' "shit or get off the pot" Tommy will make a lowball offer ("it's the off-season, there are more goalies and prices should be cheaper"), balk at the asking price, get the same results with Markstrom and Ullmark, then decide Jake Allen can be the #1 because "Vegas won a Cup with Adin Hill."

Saros will be a pending UFA, and there will be goalies available, but Trotz still has no need to take a subpar offer.

May be more goalies but will also be more buyers. I bet NJD, MTL, TOR, EDM, DET, OTT, LAK, COL are all feeling out the goalie market to one degree or another.

TOR has a young up and comer in Woll but Samsanov is gone and i doubt Woll is ready for starter.

Det is pretty much in the same boat with Cossa but Cossa is a couple years behind Woll in development and Husso has been bad.

Ottawa and EDM starters Korpisalo and Campbell have been terrible. Edmonton's backup Skinner has been better but if he falters in the playoffs i imagine they make a goaltending move

LAK talbot is 36 and rittich is a backup. This cant be a long term gameplan.

MTL their current starters best sv% in a single season is .905. They could probably use an upgrade if they ever plan on coming out of a rebuild.

COL Georgiev has not been good this year. Though i dont think they have the capspace for an upgrade

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Yep and I think he wastes another season and ends up getting canned.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yep and I think he wastes another season and ends up getting canned.
My guess is he doesn't pony up for Saros (or we're no longer willing to trade Saros) but he turns around gives up a much too large package for Markstrom. Then it'll depend how well Markstrom plays on whether he keeps his job or not but that isn't something I'd personally want to bet my job on.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I know he's not the only one to blame but seeing how Saros has been outplayed by three different goalies during the playoffs this year, do you keep him around & ultimately sign him to a big extension?

Or do you call NJD in the summer and ask for their 10th pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad