Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it is high time to have the real conversation on whether to trade Saros.

Look, he's got two years left on his deal and we're not going to compete during those two years. After that, we will want Askarov taking things over as he will be 23-year-old in 2025, and if by then he can't crack the NHL roster, he might never do that.

Also, Saros' value may never be higher. Lots of top teams in the league are struggling with their goaltending. Oilers are battling with their goaltending, Devils are having issues, not to mention Toronto. These are all high-caliber teams, with some enticing pieces to give up.

Ultimately, Saros will carry this team into a lot of wins it wouldn't otherwise deserve. We're heading for a rebuild whether some fans like it or not, and that means trading your best assets for future pieces.

Trading Saros might even get us a top-10 or top-5 pick, which this team hasn't had in a looong time and it would finally land us the elite piece we've been drooling for. With the veteran pieces and prospects we already have, I really believe we could turn this thing around quick and be back in the playoffs the season after next one.

Lastly, I do want to say that under any different circumstances, I wouldn't not want to trade Saros. But for this organization and where it stands, it may be the only possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remparts666

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I dunno, we've had this as a "real conversation" on and off for 2 or 3 years now. I don't see how anything has changed just because we got spanked last night by that same guy who has been spanking us for years?

I do not believe we would get anything of note for Saros in a trade, at best it would be about what we got for Ekholm, which, while pretty good, just isn't worth it when we have nobody to replace Saros with.

Keep Saros, extend him... put a shorter statue beside Pekka's a decade from now. That's all going to be better for our team than any trade return we will ever get. I just think you're fantasizing a little too hard if you think Saros gets us an elite draft pick, or if you think we can ever turn around and win anything without a quality #1 goalie. Both of those dreams are just totally unrealistic IMO.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I just think you're fantasizing a little too hard if you think Saros gets us an elite draft pick, or if you think we can ever turn around and win anything without a quality #1 goalie.
I don't think we can get that for Saros but NOT having Saros on this team will lead to a better draft position after all.

It's also right for Saros, right now we're only wasting his prime years.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I mean nothing has really changed on the Saros front at this point. He's still good, Askarov is still a question mark, and it still seems unlikely we actually get a worthy return for Saros. As of now we're on pace to pick in the top five even with Saros so to me our early struggles actually make me lean more towards keeping him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think we can get that for Saros but NOT having Saros on this team will lead to a better draft position after all.

It's also right for Saros, right now we're only wasting his prime years.
I think we'll have a very nice draft pick this year even with Saros. And we might just be able to extend him at a nicer $ number too if his stats don't look so flashy.

I definitely don't think we need to try mind-reading Saros' intentions as any part of this discussion.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My position on tanking has always been overwhelmingly, vehemently against. That doesn't change just because of a bad game the night before.

Your post is also inherently self-contradictory. Talking about how the price is potentially high because "top teams are struggling with goaltending" and then pivoting to "we might even get a top-5 or top-10 pick".

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
My position on tanking has always been overwhelmingly, vehemently against. That doesn't change just because of a bad game the night before.

Your post is also inherently self-contradictory. Talking about how the price is potentially high because "top teams are struggling with goaltending" and then pivoting to "we might even get a top-5 or top-10 pick".
See post #4.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes?

I'm still not saying we will get a top-5 pick for Saros in a trade, but in a way it helps us achieve that goal as we won't win as many games without him.
That's still tanking, and tanking is garbage. It's the sort of thing you do if you want to ruin your prospects and teach them how to lose.

If you trade Saros, it's because the right return is available and you can take the opportunity. You don't trade him because "omg we're winning games we shouldn't". That's putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: Armourboy

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
That's still tanking, and tanking is garbage. It's the sort of thing you do if you want to ruin your prospects and teach them how to lose.
See, I don't consider it tanking.

In a way - prospect pool-wise - I think we're already halfway there, I think we just need those one or two elite pieces into the mix. Getting those lines pretty well with Askarov taking over as well, so like I said I don't see any reason we wouldn't be competitive again in 25-26.

*Also, the veterans we have on this team won't let us tank but to try to stay competitive (which will become impossible this year if Saros gets traded).

Reactions: Dadof5boys

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
End of the day, we all will likely be bummed by the return. The real return is likely spiraling to the bottom 5 for a couple seasons and getting top draft picks. It would be hard to deal with for much of the teams fans. With no real starting goalie, we would be relying on Askarov (or other drafted goalie) to turn into a starter. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. It would put this franchise into uncharted territory. I dont think this is in the cards for Trotz or the ownership group. Maybe Saros gets traded at the deadline next season but even then unless we are far outside the playoff picture the odds are he is used as an own rental.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
See, I don't consider it tanking.

In a way - prospect pool-wise - I think we're already halfway there, I think we just need those one or two elite pieces into the mix. Getting those lines pretty well with Askarov taking over as well, so like I said I don't see any reason we wouldn't be competitive again in 25-26.

*Also, the veterans we have on this team won't let us tank but to try to stay competitive (which will become impossible this year if Saros gets traded).
You're not going to get those "one or two elite pieces" from a Saros trade no matter what you do or what the outcome of the trade is. Acquisition of such assets is done pretty much exclusively from being lucky. Trying to plan for it only ensures failure.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think we keep him, he likes it here and he's young enough to still be high quality in a few years. If we can get a huge haul for him I wouldn't be opposed to it, but we'd be absolutely blowing it up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
When I hear the exact date of the next Expansion Draft and see that Askarov is looking like a definite candidate to become a top quality NHL starter, then I’ll become a lot more open to discussing a potential Saros trade.

Without that it just sounds too much like tanking and/or too much wishful thinking about the likely trade return/result.

Nobody’s going to rig the lottery in our favor, I’m sure of that! :naughty:

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I will add that I do have some reservations about giving Saros a long term, high dollar contract so what his contract ask is would play into my decision. I'd probably half heartedly "shop" him at the deadline again for an insane ask like Luke Hughes or something but barring that happening next offseason is when I think you start to seriously consider moving him if I reasonable contract isn't on the table.

Also, Porter I'm digging the George Clinton avatar.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I will add that I do have some reservations about giving Saros a long term, high dollar contract so what his contract ask is would play into my decision. I'd probably half heartedly "shop" him at the deadline again for an insane ask like Luke Hughes or something but barring that happening next offseason is when I think you start to seriously consider moving him if I reasonable contract isn't on the table.

Also, Porter I'm digging the George Clinton avatar.
The recent Hellebuyck extension looks very palatable to me.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I will start to be concern at game #9. I will prepare for blowing up the house to rebuild the foundation, BUT IT'S ONLY GAME f***ING 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the deals come to us. Chill, let the other GMs panic.

EDIT: AND IF THE PREDS KEEP THIS PACE THEY WILL GET A TOP 5 PICK ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOING NOTHING CAN BE OK.

Reactions: hido

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad