News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Let me pose this those totally hypothetical question...

If you were able to play above the salary cap but you had to give up draft picks similar to the RFA structure (like $X over you give up a 4th rounder, $Y over you give up a 3rd and 4th, etc), would you do it?

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I know some say Mitchell isn't very good, but I think he could do well. Kills penalties, can be wing or center and can put up okay numbers for being on the 3rd or 4th line.

we really don't need more 3rd liners though. So much forward depth as is.

Personally I'm not sold on Gus being our #6 all year. If he can handle it, awesome, but don't just assume he will. Make him earn it, or use him for depth when one of our tiny/old defensemen get hurt

(looking at you kimmo/streit) :scared:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

If you were able to play above the salary cap but you had to give up draft picks similar to the RFA structure (like $X over you give up a 4th rounder, $Y over you give up a 3rd and 4th, etc), would you do it?

Yeah, depending on the scale for what you forfeit. I would give up a 3rd round pick to sign a dependable, proven guy in a heartbeat.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Not every year. That's something that should probably be reserved for when you're very confident in your team's ability to go all the way.

I would think 2009-10 and 2010-11 would have been the most logical seasons for the Flyers to do that, if possible. Other than that it would have essentially been wasted picks.

Edit: Though Jdink has a good point. If you have a chance to lock up a really solid player for a while it could be worthwhile. But that would likely end up being something Homer would screw up regularly...for instance, I could easily have seen him giving up a pick to acquire Streit which would have been fairly damned annoying considering age and term.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
So if we don't make a trade in the next hour, our Pronger cap exception is limited to a small amount, and we're screwed, right?

Can they call up like everyone to inflate that figure a bit?

Edit: Forget the government shutdown! This is a real crisis!

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Another year of Shelley.

vader.jpg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Fines up to $5mil and/or forfeit draft picks

Wait, really? Like forfeit of draft picks and you get to play above the cap (like my hypothetical scenario) or forfeit of draft picks and you still have to demote/trade someone? And fines to the team or fines like you get a $5 mil penalty against the Cap next year or something? Any kind of source for this?

Now I am starting to worry...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
geez, that's one of the few things he's excelled at the last couple of years, picky picky picky :sarcasm:
on a serious note their picks in my opinion next year will be higher than last years :(

I doubt it. Flyers won't stand for two losing season in a row. Changes would be made as soon as the team starts going down that road and with the talent in this line-up I have no doubt a change is all that's need for a playoff birth at minimum.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
My guess is what everyone else is what people are sayi they do. They "demote" Schenn and Couturier and then place Promger in LTIR and then recall them.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Isn't it too late to waive anyone?

I don't know but moves have probably already been made. It's not like the Flyers organization immediately tells the media as soon as they file the papers. It's got to get out somehow which takes time, in all likelihood we'll be hearing about the moves after the 5pm deadline.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
26.3 Circumventions.

(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any
agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements,
assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or
written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other
transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended
to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the
intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including
without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations
of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost
Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

Impose a fine of up to $5 million in the case of a Circumvention by
a Club or Club Actor, but in no circumstances shall such fine be
less than $1 million against any Club or Club Actor if such party is
found to have violated Article 50 of this Agreement. If such a fine
is assessed against a Club (except in the case of a financial
reporting violation), that Club's Payroll Room shall also be
reduced by such amount for the following League Year;

Impose a fine against a Player of up to the lesser of $1 million or
twenty-five (25%) percent of a Player's Paragraph 1 Salary in the
case of a Circumvention by a Player or Player Actor, but in no
circumstances shall such fine be below the lesser of $250,000 or
twenty-five (25%) percent of the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary;

Direct a Club to forfeit draft picks (the number, placement, and
League Year of which shall be determined in the Commissioner's
sole discretion);

Declare a forfeiture of any NHL Game(s) determined to have been
affected by a Circumvention;

Void any SPC, or any extension of an SPC, between any Player
and any Club when both the Player or Player Actor and the Club or
Club Actor are found to have committed such a violation with
respect to such SPC or extension;

Suspend any Club employee, Player, or Certified Agent involved
in such a violation for a period of time determined in the sole
discretion of the Commissioner, the System Arbitrator, or the
NHLPA, respectively.
Source(s):
Yes, 9 teams were over on bonuses but only 3 by significant amounts-Chicago (won the cup), Boston (made a playoff run) and Toronto (finished 29th).

LTIR is also an exception.

Not sure if this helps, bunch of mumble jumble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad