News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm just speculating because he apparently had a very underwhelming camp and was sent back down to the ahl.

Wow, really? I didn't know that. I assumed he would be a top six guy (or at least top nine) based on what my Rangers fan buddy always has to say about him. He's all about Kreider, Miller, Steppan, McDonough, and Callahan as the saviors of USA hockey.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
In the case of one of the top being out for an extended period of time I would think one of Lauridsen or Alt would get the call. I can't imagine the team is comfortable with Gill having to play for long periods of time.

Lauridsen is awful, I would rather have Gill over Lauridsen, but I hope Gill does not make the team.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Lauridsen is awful, I would rather have Gill over Lauridsen, but I hope Gill does not make the team.

Laurdisen absolutely was awful in the preseason but I think once he gets some playing time in the AHL he'll be back to were he was last yr which IMO is an upgrade over Gill. Just my opinion.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah Lauridsen is Gil, just younger. Pretty much just out there because he is huge. I think as a #7 either of those guys are fine, but I wouldn't want either playing more than a handful of games this year. Alt I know only a little about, but that little I know I would put him above those two. Haha. I really think Gervais is fine as a #7 guy if Mez gets dealt. I have no problem with Gervais playing when guys get injured. Obviously, I don't want him in there playing big minutes, but if he's out #7 again, I'm cool with that.

From the way it looks, Mez or Gus will be our #7 to start off the season so the first callup I would guess will be Gervais.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Can we move Mez to the wing??

why not move gus to the wing & let him split time as the 6th Dman

11 forwards (sick top 9)
7 dman (very balanced, lots of depth)
2 goalies (both serviceable/competitive)

we could have the most well-rounded team, with the most depth if we hang onto mez! :yo:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mez is struggling mightily to stay afloat in a position he knows; moving him to a new position would be awful. I have serious doubts about moving Gus to forward as well, I haven't really seen anything from him that makes me think he could be better there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I predict that, like last year, the defense will be better than everyone claims it is. However, bad goaltending will make it falsely appear far worse than it actually is, because bad goaltending combined with a middle of the road defense is a recipe for failure.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I predict that, like last year, the defense will be better than everyone claims it is. However, bad goaltending will make it falsely appear far worse than it actually is, because bad goaltending combined with a middle of the road defense is a recipe for failure.

I was actually thinking the overall amount of goals scored this year would be more on the defense than it was last year. Still a combination of poor defense and poor goaltending, but I think this year Mason and Emery will play better than Bryz did, and the defense this year will play worse than it did last year. Either way, not up to snuff.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse

I predict the opposite, the defense will be subpar again and make both goalies look bad.
Great D makes average goaltenders look good in this league.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I predict the opposite, the defense will be subpar again and make both goalies look bad.
Great D makes average goaltenders look good in this league.

Ah yes. GREAT defense. And average D is something those goaltenders can't overcome, yet lately the defense has gotten the lions share of blame for that, often unfairly.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Haven't heard anything and roster is due in a little over two hrs I believe so I think Homer will just being filing some paper work. I just don't know where that leaves Gill (not that I'm complaining), considering Homer told him to be in practice yesterday I assumed they were gonna sign him. I guess they still could and just roll with 8 d-men and 13 forwards.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Is it just me, or is anyone else nervous that Holmgren's going to do something stupid and end up including a high pick to move a player because teams know he's over the cap? The guy had all summer to work things out and he waits until the last minute to do something. For every great move the man makes, he makes a dumbass decision and handcuffs the team.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Is it just me, or is anyone else nervous that Holmgren's going to do something stupid and end up including a high pick to move a player because teams know he's over the cap? The guy had all summer to work things out and he waits until the last minute to do something. For every great move the man makes, he makes a dumbass decision and handcuffs the team.

Not really, because he has moves that he can do without making a trade like that.

He's probably trying to see if there is anything out there, if there isn't, he'll waive Schenn/Couturier, get under, throw Pronger on LTIR, recall them.

Homer has until 5pm today to get under the cap, correct?

Yes

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know some say Mitchell isn't very good, but I think he could do well. Kills penalties, can be wing or center and can put up okay numbers for being on the 3rd or 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad