News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
WASHINGTON -- What does Paul Holmgren have up his sleeve?

It doesn’t take a mathlete to understand that the Flyers are currently over the NHL’s $64.3 million salary cap with Chris Pronger on the roster.

Pronger will not play again, but the Flyers must retain his salary cap hit on their roster for the first day of the season before he can be move to the long-term injury list.

It’s important to note that the first day of the salary cap begins Monday afternoon - and the Flyers’ first game isn’t until Wednesday against Toronto. Meaning, many expected the Flyers to simply make a “paper transaction” and send waiver exempt forwards Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier to the Phantoms for the first day and re-call them on the second.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Trade-in-works-for-Flyers.html#sAE7B7HQ2XWe5441.99

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If you're on an ELC, which they both are, you're waiver exempt. Couturier's actually played more NHL games than Schenn.

Nope, see below

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brayden Schenn is exempt from waivers.

How many NHL regular season and playoff games did the player appear in in 2010-11?

Number of career NHL regular-season and playoff games?

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1624&nineteen_games=8&NHL_games=121&Calculate=

You guys entered the wrong number of games in the first question. When he was 19, (2010-11), Schenn played in 8 games (for LA), not 65. That was 2011-12 when he was 20 (and in Philly).

He has 22 games or 1 accrued season (which ever comes first) before he is not exempt.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

How many NHL regular season and playoff games did the player appear in in 2010-11?

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1624&nineteen_games=8&NHL_games=121&Calculate=

You guys entered the wrong number of games in the first question. When he was 19, (2010-11), Schenn played in 8 games (for LA), not 65. That was 2011-12 when he was 20 (and in Philly).

He has 22 games or 1 accrued season (which ever comes first) before he is not exempt.

You're right, typed wrong numbers in.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
what's the difference anyway. its smearing poop around. one loser comes in as one goes out. outside of G and jake i think i hate this team. i haven't not liked a flyers team since the one keith acton was on.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Oh ****, didn't even notice. Thanks for the clarification.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Adrain Datar tweeted something about the Avs and Flyers possibly doig a d man swap. Cant find a link, I'm on my phone.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Adrain Datar tweeted something about the Avs and Flyers possibly doig a d man swap. Cent find a link, I'm on my phone.

adater ‏@adater 23m
Hearing a little chatter about Avs and Flyers possibly talking about a swap for a D-man. Might happen, might not

Then someone asked him if Mitchell was involved or was it just a D for D swap and he said "possibly. I imagine Mitchell wants more than 4th line minutes after last year."

Someone please take Mez! It's ashame his career's been effected by injuries but he's been really bad out there.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
adater ‏@adater 23m

Then someone asked him if Mitchell was involved or was it just a D for D swap and he said "possibly. I imagine Mitchell wants more than 4th line minutes after last year."

Someone please take Mez! It's ashame his career's been effected by injuries but he's been really bad out there.

To add to this, John Mitchell had tweeted earlier a link to that philly.com article.

And Mez for Mitchell? I'd be happy with that trade.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Hunwick + Mitchell for Meszaros

Avs would need to clear a D man off the roster, plus Hunwick balances out some of the salary that the Avs are taking back on in Meszaros.

If he can be happy in the role, Mitchell is actually a decent 3rd/4th line energy winger that has some scoring pop. In a pinch he is capable of being a 2nd/3rd line winger and a 2nd PP player.

The thought process that I imagine Mitchell is having right now is that he wants the chance to get 2nd/3rd line ice time to drive up his value on his next contract. There is a legit chance that he might not even dress every night for the Avs given their forward depth/needs. There is no room in the top 9, and he might not fit on the 4th line due to the Avs probably looking for a more rough and tumble 2-way center, being Brad Malone at the moment.

Mitchell is nothing special, but he is a decent depth winger. He can also play center, but is better on the wing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->