Trade Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well - maybe not all the time, but it seems like after any physical/spirited game he is...Makes ya wonder if he could hold up past the 1st round of the playoffs?
Do you have more examples out side of this years Ottawa game.

I'm not following. Maybe it's a trend, I'm just not sure.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do you have more examples out side of this years Ottawa game.

I'm not following. Maybe it's a trend, I'm just not sure.

Larkin has always gotten hurt a lot, or is playing hurt a lot. He has had like 5-6 seasons in a row where he played long stretches hurt, and/or missed time. Concerns about his ability to play in the playoffs for any length of time are valid in my opinion. I like him a lot, but this is what he is.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Do you want to make the playoffs or does it not really matter. Legit question.
Making the playoffs yes. paying a first plus for an overhyped d man then proceeding to pay him 7 plus a year.. no thanks. SY wants to build a sustainable program here and hanafin isn't the difference between us getting swept and not swept in the first round.

No need to fomo. Let the the team he's assembled figure it out this year and progress in the summer.

Basically my opinion is paying both assets and cap space for 7 years isn't the move for a hanafin type.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be very short sighted to pay what it would cost to acquire Guentzel or Buchnevich. They are either rentals when we aren't ready to compete for aging complimentary pieces that would put us in cap hell if we re-signed them. Both will want 8x8 type contracts.

Yzerman will force them to 4-year deal.

Just like did with DeBrincat.

Guentzel with 4-years 8.25M extension could be the fit to our cap.

I still like more of getting Buchnevich, because there's 2 years left with his bargain 5.8M. That gives a better timeline for our cap flexibility. After 2024-25, there's no big pressure for RFA raises, and UFAs Määttä, Husso, Petry, Fabbri will be out of the books and cap rising to ~92M...

Summer 2025 is the better off-season to adjust some new deals.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Larkin has always gotten hurt a lot, or is playing hurt a lot. He has had like 5-6 seasons in a row where he played long stretches hurt, and/or missed time. Concerns about his ability to play in the playoffs for any length of time are valid in my opinion. I like him a lot, but this is what he is.
Should be able to come up with examples? Only thing that stands out outside of this season to me... Is when Jamie Benn cross checked his neck and he had to be hospitalized.

I'm not being difficult either, I think it's a made-up narrative right now by fans. I don't remember watching Larkin constantly dealing with injuries during his career. Like if we're talking Tyler Bertuzzi, ok I understand that's injury prone, etc, to me. Like one guy has played 70 games plus his whole career and the other only done it twice...
Making the playoffs yes. paying a first plus for an overhyped d man then proceeding to pay him 7 plus a year.. no thanks. SY wants to build a sustainable program here and hanafin isn't the difference between us getting swept and not swept in the first round.

No need to fomo. Let the the team he's assembled figure it out this year and progress in the summer.

Basically my opinion is paying both assets and cap space for 7 years isn't the move for a hanafin type.
Well that's ok, but do you think there is any buy out there that's reasonable? I mean you said your against the buy crowd, and I think you're really against over-payment.

I asked if you wanted to make the playoffs too because... without some add, imo, I'm not sure it's a given. I'm not sure it's a given if a move is made(Major trade or minor trade.)

It's ok to say you aren't prepared to trade a 1st round pick for a guy you aren't sure about.

I've seen this team be scrappy all year, beat the hell out of teams like the Blues, and have good solid come back wins against Stanley cup contenders in Vancouver/Colorado. Split a series vs Boston and so far, Toronto. To me they're in the thick of it, a move helps them solidify their spot, and no team truly knows when they're a player away. We've watched teams like the Blues/Panthers/Canadiens recently make great runs no one scripted.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Should be able to come up with examples? Only thing that stands out outside of this season to me... Is when Jamie Benn cross checked his neck and he had to be hospitalized.

I'm not being difficult either, I think it's a made-up narrative right now by fans. I don't remember watching Larkin constantly dealing with injuries during his career. Like if we're talking Tyler Bertuzzi, ok I understand that's injury prone, etc, to me. Like one guy has played 70 games plus his whole career and the other only done it twice...

Well that's ok, but do you think there is any buy out there that's reasonable? I mean you said your against the buy crowd, and I think you're really against over-payment.

I asked if you wanted to make the playoffs too because... without some add, imo, I'm not sure it's a given. I'm not sure it's a given if a move is made(Major trade or minor trade.)

It's ok to say you aren't prepared to trade a 1st round pick for a guy you aren't sure about.

I've seen this team be scrappy all year, beat the hell out of teams like the Blues, and have good solid come back wins against Stanley cup contenders in Vancouver/Colorado. Split a series vs Boston and so far, Toronto. To me they're in the thick of it, a move helps them solidify their spot, and no team truly knows when they're a player away. We've watched teams like the Blues/Panthers/Canadiens recently make great runs no one scripted.

What do you mean by examples? Every season there has been a chunk of time where Ken and Mick mention that Dylan is playing through a nagging injury or he actually misses games. They don't mention that about everyone so it isn't just regular wear and tear. He hasn't had a fully healthy season since maybe his first 2-3 seasons. Just because he plays the games doesn't mean he is healthy. There have been more than enough examples where you can see by watching him that he is nowhere near 100% out there.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What do you mean by examples? Every season there has been a chunk of time where Ken and Mick mention that Dylan is playing through a nagging injury or he actually misses games. They don't mention that about everyone so it isn't just regular wear and tear. He hasn't had a fully healthy season since maybe his first 2-3 seasons. Just because he plays the games doesn't mean he is healthy. There have been more than enough examples where you can see by watching him that he is nowhere near 100% out there.
Lots of examples... that you cannot give. I just legit don't remember always looking back and thinking he's hurt. Maybe he is. Most players are.

I'll let Larkin play first in the playoffs and form an opinion off that before I say he's to brittle to last cause of things I think other people say without examples to show people.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
On one hand, Id love to add someone like Guentzel, Hanafin, Buchnevich, Markstrom or even Walker.

On the other, This team has a lot of warts still and giving up premium assets for one of these guys isn't enough to turn this team into a bonafide contender.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
On one hand, Id love to add someone like Guentzel, Hanafin, Buchnevich, Markstrom or even Walker.

On the other, This team has a lot of warts still and giving up premium assets for one of these guys isn't enough to turn this team into a bonafide contender.

If there's a chance to improve the team long term, i.e a guy in Larkin's window with term, get it done. Anything else... I'd rather stand pat.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If there's a chance to improve the team long term, i.e a guy in Larkin's window with term, get it done. Anything else... I'd rather stand pat.
Ya this should be the focus. Im with you there but im not opposed to low cost rentals either.

One name that intrigues me is Jason Zucker. Pending UFA with good (and consistent) puck possession metrics through his career. His year to year raw production is definitely inconsistent but Id like to see a playmaker/puck possession guy added to the middle/bottom 6. Only downside is he is soft but I think he could be a nice offensive compliment to guys like Sprong, Veleno, Fabbri and Perron with his playmaking.

I am not sure if he fits the mold of "low cost rental' and again, I have concerns about the lack of grit but adding someone who can help stir the drink (so to speak) would be good for this team.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The Athletic linked Detroit to Bryan Rust. He'd be a nice fit on the roster but hard to see how we could fit that contract in moving forward.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Depth matters in todays NHL. Yzerman's moves moved this team from 24th with 2.89 goals/game up to 6th at 3.51 goals per game.
depth matters but lack of stars puts you in purgatory, never skilled enough to win a cup. at some point we have to stop amassing 40-50pt players and start trying to make moves for significant difference makers. Debrincat was a nice step but we need more if we're ever going to compete for a cup.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
depth matters but lack of stars puts you in purgatory, never skilled enough to win a cup. at some point we have to stop amassing 40-50pt players and start trying to make moves for significant difference makers. Debrincat was a nice step but we need more if we're ever going to compete for a cup.

Unfortunately we can't just go to the Star Tree and pick one off the branches.

Continuous and incremental improvement has to be part of the game plan.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Unfortunately we can't just go to the Star Tree and pick one off the branches.

Continuous and incremental improvement has to be part of the game plan.
improvement by adding middling vets who will need 4-5 year contracts precludes you from having the cap space to go hunting for stars. bryan rust would be a huge mistake

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
improvement by adding middling vets who will need 4-5 year contracts precludes you from having the cap space to go hunting for stars. bryan rust would be a huge mistake
Rust is a michigan boy, id do a deal like 3x5 for rust to replace perron but any longer wouldnt be ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad