Trade Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Sure looks like the Rangers need some help with cap relief and a decision on Lafreniere. The way Stevie has us set up, we can help with both.

The trade is Berggren, pick 17 and pick 43 for NYR pick 23, Barclay Goodrow, and Alexis Lafreniere

I feel that the former #1 overall is on the cusp of breaking out big time. Get him with Larkin and Raymond next season and good things will happen. AF plays a heavier game and all around game than Berggren so I'm willing to pay up. Staying in the first and only moving down 6 picks is alright and I think Barclay Goodrow is actually more beneficial to us than most teams. Another heavy game and a versatile player. I feel it's a pretty even trade now but once AF gets rolling, its another Stevie steal.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sure looks like the Rangers need some help with cap relief and a decision on Lafreniere. The way Stevie has us set up, we can help with both.

The trade is Berggren, pick 17 and pick 43 for NYR pick 23, Barclay Goodrow, and Alexis Lafreniere

I feel that the former #1 overall is on the cusp of breaking out big time. Get him with Larkin and Raymond next season and good things will happen. AF plays a heavier game and all around game than Berggren so I'm willing to pay up. Staying in the first and only moving down 6 picks is alright and I think Barclay Goodrow is actually more beneficial to us than most teams. Another heavy game and a versatile player. I feel it's a pretty even trade now but once AF gets rolling, its another Stevie steal.

Sign Lafreniere to an offersheet just north of 4 mil per season. That would only cost Detroit a 2nd.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I'm just not seeing it with Laf, not a hater, not thinking his career is going to tank, but I don't see a breakout star in the making either. I'd like to be wrong, the more skill in the NHL, the better. Rather see how much further Berggren develops after a solid season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Too many futures given up for a gamble on Lafreniere and accepting a cap dump. If Rangers want to move Laf and want to clear up cap space, we're not giving them such a good deal on it.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
We need players but helping the Rangers out is stupid, imo, and they don't legitimately have anyone that they'll offer that I can imagine building around and we aren't built up enough to just plant someone in like Laf, who's a middle six forward, and be a quality team.

Need top line talent.

Like... Maybe, if this was the TDL and we were in a playoff hunt, but not as a move in the offseason with UFA's available.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I know it's popular to say "Laf is only 21! How about we give these kids time to actually develop!", but saying that is contrary to every scouting report about Laf at the time. He was 1OA because he was seen as an instant impact NHLer who would become a superstar rather quickly.

I personally don't think there's much of a shot that he's a late bloomer so I'd pass on this...especially if we'd be taking on a spiritual successor to the Abdelkader contract with Goodrow.

I'd consider something like this with LA for Byfield because the scouting reports mentioned a longer development curve for him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sign Lafreniere to an offersheet just north of 4 mil per season. That would only cost Detroit a 2nd.
While that makes sense on paper, it's not Stevie's style. He'd rather fleece GMs than outright steal from them, lol. Offer sheet guarantees that you've lost a trading partner, that's why most GMs won't do it even within the division.

As for the original trade idea, I don't see why either side would do that deal.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
While that makes sense on paper, it's not Stevie's style. He'd rather fleece GMs than outright steal from them, lol. Offer sheet guarantees that you've lost a trading partner, that's why most GMs won't do it even within the division.

As for the original trade idea, I don't see why either side would do that deal.
Stevie as super villain in NYC media would be fun.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I'm down for offer sheet shenanigans. A new environment might do Laff well.

Remember the Lose 4 Laff days?
I never understood why GMs don't use a rule thats in place and why the players union doesn't bitch that its not being used? I mean an RFA could get a lot more money if GM's would do the signings more often. Isn't better to try and improve your team than making other GMs happy? F that crap. Win at all cost should be every GMs montra. When did this become a sport of gentleman and why hasn't the union said, hey we have this rule in place and the players are getting screwed because teams are playing nicey nice. MLB union would be screaming collusion. Take the rule out if the teams are going to puss out on using it. It's stupid to have it and not use it. Just my rant 🤪

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I never understood why GMs don't use a rule thats in place and why the players union doesn't bitch that its not being used? I mean an RFA could get a lot more money if GM's would do the signings more often. Isn't better to try and improve your team than making other GMs happy? F that crap. Win at all cost should be every GMs montra. When did this become a sport of gentleman and why hasn't the union said, hey we have this rule in place and the players are getting screwed because teams are playing nicey nice. MLB union would be screaming collusion. Take the rule out if the teams are going to puss out on using it. It's stupid to have it and not use it. Just my rant 🤪
Because there's more value in having the ability to trade with other GMs for the rest of your career than overpaying RFAs in cash and draft picks.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Because there's more value in having the ability to trade with other GMs for the rest of your career than overpaying RFAs in cash and draft picks.
So, thats my point. Why have it on the books as an option if its perceived as bad pool. AND isn't that kind of a sideways collusion if all the GMs know that others will F them if they do it? Just do away with it or modify it. Again, not fair to the RFA players if its a known fact that a GM that will actually pay or overpay their worth will get blackballed by all other GMs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I don't think that Yzerman stealing Lafreniere from NYR blacklists him across the league. Probably just with Drury and the Rangers, and who gives a shit about that. Drury will probably get himself fired in a couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad