Speculation: Trade Ideas & Free Agency IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Moulson is getting 5+, specially if he has a good part of the year with us.

Also no need to buy our brodz, he's a 4th line center next year and a decent one, a bit expensive yes but not huge, there is also no need for both Moulson and Vanek, You don't want to shut the door on a guy who's doing good in the AHL by having that many deals up front.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Moulson is getting 5+, specially if he has a good part of the year with us.

Also no need to buy our brodz, he's a 4th line center next year and a decent one, a bit expensive yes but not huge, there is also no need for both Moulson and Vanek, You don't want to shut the door on a guy who's doing good in the AHL by having that many deals up front.

as a fan i'd be happy to see vanek sign here plus moulson sign. our young prospect group will struggle for ice time if that happens. cant keep everybody , i just dont see how / why zucker would want to stay here w/o a regular roster spot. rfa we'll see!

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Just very quickly:

Brodziak buyout and Coyle moved to Center probably makes the most legit sense

They aren't going to pay Broziak 2 million to play for someone else. Thats worse value to the franchise than paying a guy 2.8 million for a perfectly good 4th line center.

Fan don't see it that way, but I guraentee Leipold does. So people can quit with the Brodzik buyout wet dreams.

Only way Brodziak isnt here next year is if he is traded.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
They aren't going to pay Broziak 2 million to play for someone else. Thats worse value to the franchise than paying a guy 2.8 million for a perfectly good 4th line center.

Fan don't see it that way, but I guraentee Leipold does. So people can quit with the Brodzik buyout wet dreams.

We paid Gilbert 4 million to play somewhere else.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Way I see it, Moulson will come in and play great. We extend him at far less than Vanek would cost and then because Moulson is Jonathan Quick's brother-in-law, he'll convince Quick to get to MIN :sarcasm:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We paid Gilbert 4 million to play somewhere else.

We also NEEDED the cap room due to the cap dropping 7 million dollars. We've got 24+ million in caproom, with like 7 spots to fill for next year. 4 of those spots are RFAs likely to get under 2 million.

Assuming the RFAs average out at 2 million(nino will get more, Fontaine, Zucker and Kumper will get less), thats 16 million for the remaining 3 spots.

Your telling me you think they are going to spend 2 million dollars so they can have 19 million and 4 spots to fill?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Funny, last year in April when I claimed Gilbert was going to get bought out, people told me the same thing you are saying now in response to the idea of Brodziak being bought out.

It's about fielding the best team you can. If the team feels they are better served next year with Coyle at center...all indications point that way...Brodziak will be moved to make the space on the roster.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So GMCF says that he wasn't going to trade a 1st or any prospects, but he feels that his offer was better than MTL's for Vanek. I wonder what the offer was.

I'd venture a guess it was Zucker, two 2nds. But they would have had to eat salary/a player. Which apparently they were completely unwilling to do.

Which is better in that Zucker is dang near guarenteed an NHL level player, just a matter if he turns out to be a 3rd or 2nd liner. Where as you can't say that with Collberg.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Funny, last year in April when I claimed Gilbert was going to get bought out, people told me the same thing you are saying now in response to the idea of Brodziak being bought out.

I think there was a lingering hope Heatley would be cleared and able to be bought out. It was clear one of them was going to go. When it couldn't be Heatley, it was Gilbert.

There was an absolute need last year. You can't say that this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It depends on the plans for Coyle next year. If he's moved to center like expected. Brodziak will be bought out.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

if vanek is a possibe mn wild next yr we need the cap room. i dont see how we dont use our last compliance buyout on brodz. if the team is good 2 go as is then yes he still fits. we'll see.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fletcher will be dangling Jason Zucker as trade bait during the draft.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
if vanek is a possibe mn wild next yr we need the cap room. i dont see how we dont use our last compliance buyout on brodz. if the team is good 2 go as is then yes he still fits. we'll see.

Now we don't. I just explained we have ~16 million for 3 players. One of those spots is a forward spot.

Even if you break the bank on Vanek, and go with a 9 million cap hit(no where near what the Wild would spend on him), that leaves two 5-7 D spots available and 7 Million dollars.

In reality, if the caphit for vaenk is likely around 7.5 million its 9.5 million dollars in cap space.

Even IF one of those is spots is a dop 4 upgrade that everyone wants to see at 5 million, they aren't going to pay a 6th/7th D 4.5 million.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it's clear that CL is an owner that wants to win first and foremost, which is awesome! Fletcher will have the freedom to make whatever move is best for the team. If Brodziak doesn't have a future here and can't be traded at the draft for a pick, he will be bought out to make room for someone else, whether or not that room is only roster space and not cap space needed.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikael Granlund ($0.900m) / Jason Pominville ($5.600m)
Thomas Vanek ($8.000m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Nino Niederreiter ($2.500m)
Erik Haula ($0.900m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.900m) / Jason Zucker ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($2.500m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Justin Fontaine ($1.500m)
Brett Bulmer ($0.780m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jared Spurgeon ($2.667m)
Matt Niskanen ($5.000m) / Jonas Brodin ($0.894m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Keith Ballard ($1.500m)
Nick Schultz ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
Darcy Kuemper ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,142,756; BONUSES: $2,765,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,957,244

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I have a sneaky suspicion that Fletcher will be dangling Jason Zucker as trade bait during the draft.

Me too. Ugh. I'd disagree with that. He's fast and shoots. Of course we're going to trade him. All of our players have to be as good -- if not better -- at defense as they are at offense. Would really prefer to keep him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Obviously that gapgeek is missing another goalie and Moulson making more. But more for discussion on if the lines look sound than anything. Apologize for that, been a busy ass morning.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

For what though? The potential for something that actually fits the scheme isn't really there. And Jason isn't worth even a 2nd, let alone a 3rd, draft pick this year.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikael Granlund ($0.900m) / Jason Pominville ($5.600m)
Thomas Vanek ($8.000m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Nino Niederreiter ($2.500m)
Erik Haula ($0.900m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.900m) / Jason Zucker ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($2.500m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Justin Fontaine ($1.500m)
Brett Bulmer ($0.780m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jared Spurgeon ($2.667m)
Matt Niskanen ($5.000m) / Jonas Brodin ($0.894m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Keith Ballard ($1.500m)
Nick Schultz ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
Darcy Kuemper ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,142,756; BONUSES: $2,765,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,957,244

There's speculation that the Salary cap is going to be lower than 71 million, possibly down to 68 million.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think it's clear that CL is an owner that wants to win first and foremost, which is awesome! Fletcher will have the freedom to make whatever move is best for the team. If Brodziak doesn't have a future here and can't be traded at the draft for a pick, he will be bought out to make room for someone else, whether or not that room is only roster space and not cap space needed.

But its also clear, Fletcher and Yeo value Brodziaks contributions. If they didn't, he wouldn't get the minutes he does and would have already been bumped to the 4th line.

I could see him being traded, due to the emergence of Haula. But there simply isn't enough benefit to buying him out. He's better than anyone in Iowa, and if we buy him out we are going to just end up paying two players for a 4th line spot.

With all three of Coyle, Haula and Brodziak in the lineup, there is depth down the middle. With just Haula and Coyle in the bottom 6, we are S.O.L when a Center goes down.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
For what though? The potential for something that actually fits the scheme isn't really there. And Jason isn't worth even a 2nd, let alone a 3rd, draft pick this year.

Who knows? Part of a package for another player? Acquire draft picks? Move up in the draft?

It just doesn't seem like, to me, that he is in the Wild's long term plans...especially if they do target Moulson or Vanek in the offseason...where would he fit in?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There's speculation that the Salary cap is going to be lower than 71 million, possibly down to 68 million.

Thats fine, I went high on all acquired/resigned players. And a goaile will be moved in some fashion(likely Harding to LTIR). I also don't think there is any chance we bring in a 5 million D man or pay Vanek 8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille