Speculation: Trade Ideas & Free Agency IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the right move is to go with this for next year (if we re-sign Moulson):

Moulson - Koivu - Nino
Cooke - Brodziak - Coyle
X - Haula - Fontaine

If Brodziak struggles again, you can let him walk and move Coyle to C:

Cooke - Coyle - X

If not, you can keep him and maintain a very solid 3rd line. Buying him out at this stage would be extremely pre-mature, given both Haula and Coyle's limited NHL careers, thus far.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
What's wrong with Cooke? He is easily worth a 2.5 caphit at his current production. 30+ point 3rd liner who is an excellent pk'er and good defensivly. He's better than Clutter and is making less. If he declines some than 2.5 may be a little much, but I think it was a great signing by CF.

i dont like cooke, but even i have to admit hes played well. shhhh dont tell anyone i said that.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
I don't think you know how restricted free agency works...

really? nino's rfa so i guess we can offer him 1.2 & he'll be happy? kuempers agent has to be lickn his chops hes #1. if kuemper is the #1 goalie going into next yr i'll bet you my 500 vcash he gets more than 1.5 deal? i get your vcash if your wrong.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
really? nino's rfa so i guess we can offer him 1.2 & he'll be happy? kuempers agent has to be lickn his chops hes #1. if kuemper is the #1 goalie going into next yr i'll bet you my 500 vcash he gets more than 1.5 deal? i get your vcash if your wrong.

Deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Far more goes into it than that. All the Wild have to do is qualify him on a two-way deal to keep his rights.

Kuemper's leverage is a the ability to hold out. With two goalies already under contract, Gustavson behind him and a bevy of stop gaps on the Free agent market, that leverage only goes so far.

Its probably enough leverage to get him a one way deal, not nearly enough to take the Wild to the cleaners. And he certainly doesn't have us by the short hairs.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
quick could have said trade me if he wanted to. just sayn.

And the Kings would have said no. Your a RFA who can take this guarenteed 3.6 million dollars, or sit and watch Bernier pass you.

Just like the Wild will say, take this 3 million guarenteed dollars(over two years) or sit and watch Backstrom/Harding/Gustavsson/UFA Stopgap take your money.

For a guy making 70k the past two years, and a around 450K this year. Guarenteed 3 million is hard to pass up.

PK Subban was an elite RFA, and he barely got over 2.5.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You need to be careful with those bridge contracts though...they can come back and bite you in the ass...just like it will for the Habs. In the case of Brodin and Granlund, the Wild might want to negotiate a 4-5 year contract instead, especially if they continue to develop as we expect.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kuemper/Coyle/Nino shout get bridges... 2-3 years @ $1.5-$3m per, whatever they deserve.

I have no problem with Granlund/Brodin getting 4-5 years at $4-$5m, provided they continue to earn it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Which is why we should keep him -- for now at least. The return he brings isn't going to be great. And no package for a proven star-ish player is going to have Zucker as the centerpiece.

Completely agree. He is more vital to this team's depth than he would be able to return in picks or a better player IMO.

As far as the adaptation with linemates go, Yeo also has to adapt to the player. Few players can do anything you ask of them and they get paid accordingly.

Which is something I hope he continues to work on. Getting Moulson at least frees up that wing for Koivu so he can stop putting Parise and/or Coyle line back together.

Sometimes you can't ask a speedy pure scorer who is a bit of a liability on defense to be a 4th line grinder. Likewise, you can't ask the enforcers/brutes to play in the top 6 and let the offense run through them.

Here is where we sort of differ a bit. I like to think this team has depth, but not at size/physical presence. I really like the idea of Zucker-Haula-Nino as a 4th line line threat. Its speedy and can still maintain the puck down in the offensive zone and lord knows it can certainly score at will between the 3 of them. In all honesty, it looks like a great 3rd scoring line. Keep Cooke-Brodziak-McCormick/Fontaine for the 4th line and use Koivu's as a defensive/offensive line.

I'd like to see Yeo put Zucker in a position that he could succeed in before we (and the organization) makes up their mind on him.

I would agree. It will depend on what the team dynamic will be next year though. Is this a team that rolls 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that is more of a defense first with positive offensive swing? Or do they try to continue what they are doing now and give the 1st and 3rd lines the majority of minutes in the game?

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikael Granlund ($0.900m) / Jason Pominville ($5.600m)
Matt Moulson ($5.250m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Nino Niederreiter ($2.750m)
Matt Cooke ($2.500m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.900m)
Jason Zucker ($1.000m) / Erik Haula ($0.900m) / Justin Fontaine ($1.200m)
Stephane Veilleux ($0.588m) / Brett Bulmer ($0.780m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jared Spurgeon ($2.667m)
Jonas Brodin ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.000m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Clayton Stoner ($1.200m)
Keith Ballard ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Darcy Kuemper ($2.000m)
Justin Peters ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
Niklas Backstrom ($0.958m)
LTIR
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,771,923; BONUSES: $2,765,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,228,077

Here's my attempt at next years Wild roster. Feel free to bash it lol. It doesn't look like the cap will be going up to 71 million as projected, so i set it at 68 million. I long term IR'd Harding(which would only help if the Wild would spend over the upper limit), and bought out Backstrom. I was conservative and didn't acquire any bottom 6 forwards via FA. I think either Fontaine or Zucker are candidates for a draft day trade, so they may not be on the roster. I didn't buy-out Brodziak which is a possibility. What do you think?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think the right move is to go with this for next year (if we re-sign Moulson):

Moulson - Koivu - Nino
Cooke - Brodziak - Coyle
X - Haula - Fontaine

If Brodziak struggles again, you can let him walk and move Coyle to C:

Cooke - Coyle - X

If not, you can keep him and maintain a very solid 3rd line. Buying him out at this stage would be extremely pre-mature, given both Haula and Coyle's limited NHL careers, thus far.

Honest question to those who know:

How is Phillips looking?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Darcy Kuemper ($2.000m)
Justin Peters ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
LTIR
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
------

Here's my attempt at next years Wild roster. Feel free to bash it lol. It doesn't look like the cap will be going up to 71 million as projected, so i set it at 68 million. I long term IR'd Harding(which would only help if the Wild would spend over the upper limit), and bought out Backstrom. I was conservative and didn't acquire any bottom 6 forwards via FA. I think either Fontaine or Zucker are candidates for a draft day trade, so they may not be on the roster. I didn't buy-out Brodziak which is a possibility. What do you think?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could buy out 35+ contracts under the CBA?

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could buy out 35+ contracts under the CBA?

Also....one thing we will need to be wary about as well is bonus's get attributed to the cap the following year IIRC.

You can buy out 35+ contracts via normal buyout procedures. Capgeek verified it with the NHL.

Bonus overage's can go to the following year. If they fit under the current years cap, they don't have to though.

Last year Brodin hit some bonuses that spilled over. With the Moulson trade, i'd bet Granlund/Nino hit some that will as well. Probably won't be to devistating.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Better rendition of mine (actually has a full roster):

FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.000m)
Jason Zucker ($1.000m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.900m) / Nino Niederreiter ($3.500m)
Matt Cooke ($2.500m) / Erik Haula ($0.900m) / Justin Fontaine ($1.000m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Brett Bulmer ($0.780m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jonas Brodin ($0.894m) / Marco Scandella ($1.025m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.250m) / Keith Ballard ($1.500m)
Nate Prosser ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Darcy Kuemper ($1.500m)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
Kyle Brodziak ($0.000m)
LTIR
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
------
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,184,423; BONUSES: $2,765,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,815,577

I still don't think this team will give up on Backstrom unless he retires. We have a solid 4 lines and while the defense is unadjusted, it allows them to still roll with this for another year and then we lose Ballard's contract anyways. If they find out that is where focus needs to be, they already have the forwards completely lined up outside of the potential of another centermen and move Coyle back to a wing position, and then its all about trade-bait at that point for someone.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Darcy Kuemper ($2.000m)
Justin Peters ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
LTIR
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
------

Looks pretty good actually, and realistic. Only wildcard is the inclusion of Niskanen, but I think there's going to be a team that gives him more than $4m (Islanders, Colorado maybe).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
And the Kings would have said no. Your a RFA who can take this guarenteed 3.6 million dollars, or sit and watch Bernier pass you.

Just like the Wild will say, take this 3 million guarenteed dollars(over two years) or sit and watch Backstrom/Harding/Gustavsson/UFA Stopgap take your money.

For a guy making 70k the past two years, and a around 450K this year. Guarenteed 3 million is hard to pass up.

PK Subban was an elite RFA, and he barely got over 2.5.

you cant pay your #1 goalie peanuts and expect him to be happy. i think he'll get 2 min maybe 2.5 if he keeps playn great. by july 1st we should know , feel free to eat plenty of crow when your wrong.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Better rendition of mine (actually has a full roster):

I still don't think this team will give up on Backstrom unless he retires. We have a solid 4 lines and while the defense is unadjusted, it allows them to still roll with this for another year and then we lose Ballard's contract anyways. If they find out that is where focus needs to be, they already have the forwards completely lined up outside of the potential of another centermen and move Coyle back to a wing position.

I don't like being that close to the cap when the next contracts that Granlund and Brodin are going to get will probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500% raises, with Coyle and Haula getting a bump too. We'd be very heavily reliant on the cap going up.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
you cant pay your #1 goalie peanuts and expect him to be happy. i think he'll get 2 min maybe 2.5 if he keeps playn great. by july 1st we should know , feel free to eat plenty of crow when your wrong.

Won't have to. We know how RFA works. Sure, he can say, "Hey I put up better numbers than Ryan Miller, I deserve more money." Wild say, "We will give you this much (Significantly less)."

End up going to arbitration. They rule he only deserve less than 1.5mill because of his lack of pedigree. You eat crow.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

$1.5m isn't peanuts, it's a 100% raise from his current salary. Unless he carries us to the WCF, he isn't in a position to demand more than that.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't like being that close to the cap when the next contracts that Granlund and Brodin are going to get will probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500% raises, with Coyle and Haula getting a bump too. We'd be very heavily reliant on the cap going up.

Just saw your post on the previous page, and was going to throw out a scenario to you, granted it is a big "what if":

What if Moulson and Vanek both take discounts if Matt likes what he sees with the team this season and Vanek wants to come and really make a contention run with a hometown team? Say in the field of Moulson at $4.5 and Vanek at $6.5? Granted it is only a $1M difference, but after next year we lose Ballards contract will adjust to a $2M upswing. Or don't resign McCormick and that saves another $400K if you just bring up the spark plug. That leaves around $8M in caproom if the ceiling stays at $68M then, and you still have all your forwards locked in.

Won't have to. We know how RFA works. Sure, he can say, "Hey I put up better numbers than Ryan Miller, I deserve more money." Wild say, "We will give you this much (Significantly less)."

End up going to arbitration. The rule he only deserve less than 1.5mill because of his lack of pedigree. You eat crow.

$1.5m isn't peanuts, it's a 100% raise from his current salary. Unless he carries us to the WCF, he isn't in a position to demand more than that.

What these guys said. I think the only time it would bite us is if someone offers more cash and then we still get to match it, no?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

End up going to arbitration. They rule he only deserve less than 1.5mill because of his lack of pedigree. You eat crow.

i have to believe gmcf learned his lesson after stiffarming clutterbuck. come join our team , we pay our top guys less than our backups! great headline.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
i have to believe gmcf learned his lesson after stiffarming clutterbuck. come join our team , we pay our top guys less than our backups! great headline.

Except every team does that. If another team wants to offer Kuemper 3mill, more power to them. I doubt Fletcher matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->