Speculation: Trade Ideas & Free Agency IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
That does hurt, but a lower cap just means deflation in player salaries. Because every team in the NHL is affected. So, Vanek makes 6 million/year instead of 7. Moulson makes 4.5 million/year. Kids get significantly less raises. Etc.

What this will do, however, is raise the value of buying out contracts. So, lower cap = greater chance Brodziak is compliance bought out.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
That does hurt, but a lower cap just means deflation in player salaries. Because every team in the NHL is affected. So, Vanek makes 6 million/year instead of 7. Moulson makes 4.5 million/year. Kids get significantly less raises. Etc.

What this will do, however, is raise the value of buying out contracts. So, lower cap = greater chance Brodziak is compliance bought out.

Yes, and lower cap would mean that the effect of getting rid of Heatley's and Mitchell's salaries would be relatively bigger.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Meh...whether it's $68 million or $71 million the Wild still have plenty of cap space to do what they want to do.

I do agree that it might make them want to take advantage of that compliance buy-out they have in their back pocket. Especially if the Wild truly feel that Coyle can handle the center position. Then you have Haula jump into the #4C spot. Or maybe pick up a cheaper #4C, put Haula at #3C and keep Coyle at the wing. Plenty of options.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I've been a huge fan of Brodziak, but I haven't seen anything in the last 2 season to justify his continued spot on the roster.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Depth doesn't justify his $2.8 million cap hit, given his lack of production.

He has 5 goals and 14 assists for 19 points. Probably end the season with 25. Is he overpaid? Yes but the Wild should stick it out and keep Brod for depth.

Cluttered

Jul 16, 2012
Saskatoon, SK
i think we should keep brodz for his defensive forward depth. he's the kind of player that the bruins and blackhawks always have, and that's why they are perennial cup favourites. honestly he's the kind of player who goes unnoticed and then chips in the cup winning goal.
the wild isn't the 6th best team defensively just because suter plays 50 minutes a night...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Hey, who knows. But clearly our weak prospect pool is taking more and more hits. We're looking at pretty dry years coming up. I thought that was why we wanted a change in management, but I guess those reasons changed. Subjectivity feels better than objectivity I guess. Win-now mode feels good as long you're in the playoffs.

Our prospect pool appears dry because we actually have 20-22 year olds making an impact on the NHL roster. We have a couple years to work with, because we aren't going to need such an influx of young talent for a couple years. Dumba, Olofsson, Zucker, Lucia, 2014 1st rounder, 2015 1st and 2nd rounder; 14 months from now, our pool is re-stacked.

Whining for the sake of whining.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i think we should keep brodz for his defensive forward depth. he's the kind of player that the bruins and blackhawks always have, and that's why they are perennial cup favourites. honestly he's the kind of player who goes unnoticed and then chips in the cup winning goal.
the wild isn't the 6th best team defensively just because suter plays 50 minutes a night...
You didn't just say that did you?

It couldn't be because of players like Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Chara, Lucic, Bergeron etc, etc, etc, etc...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Bruins yes. Hawks no. Hawks bottom lines have been carried by their youth for years now.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I was living in Chicago when they won the first Cup (in recent times), and the reason that team kicked ass was because they had Toews-Kane on 1st line, Sharp-Hossa on 2nd, but then a 3rd line of Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg giving other teams fits. That line shut down teams, was physical, and also had a high level of offensive talent.

The Hawks brought in a few "vets" to be role players, but they let the kids run when they realized they had more of an impact than the vets.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From what I gather, Bob McKenzie was on TSN radio in Toronto today and said the following:

Russo said on kfan that Fletcher walked away because Snow wouldn't back down from wanting a 1st rounder as well.

When the Wild walked and instead dealt for Moulson, Snow was left holding the bag and scrambled to accept the highest offer on the table...Montreal's. Russo said Snow will be fired over the debacle at the seasons end.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Russo said on kfan that Fletcher walked away because Snow wouldn't back down from wanting a 1st rounder as well.

When the Wild walked and instead dealt for Moulson, Snow was left holding the bag and scrambled to accept the highest offer on the table...Montreal's. Russo said Snow will be fired over the debacle at the seasons end.

Islander fans feel differently. Not that they don't think Snow shouldn't be fired, but that he's only doing the bidding of their cheap ass owner Charles Wang.

They say that as long as Wang owns the Islanders, Snow will remain as GM and nothing will change.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
So GMCF says that he wasn't going to trade a 1st or any prospects, but he feels that his offer was better than MTL's for Vanek. I wonder what the offer was.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Interesting. I. Guessing Vanek was the reason Fletcher was trying to dump Heatley. Couldn't fit him salary wise.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota

4.5m a year for Moulson? If he would take that, I'd sign him in a heart beat. I think he'll get a contract comparable to Pominville's. I also think Vanek gets at least 7 m a year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Just very quickly:

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikael Granlund ($0.900m) / Jason Pominville ($5.600m)
Matt Moulson ($3.500m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.143m)
Jason Zucker ($1.100m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.900m) / Nino Niederreiter ($3.000m)
Matt Cooke ($2.500m) / Erik Haula ($0.900m) / Justin Fontaine ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jared Spurgeon ($2.667m)
Jonas Brodin ($0.894m) / Marco Scandella ($1.025m)
Matt Niskanen ($3.300m) / Keith Ballard ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Darcy Kuemper ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
Kyle Brodziak ($0.000m)
LTIR
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,255,613; BONUSES: $2,675,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $11,844,387

Brodziak buyout and Coyle moved to Center probably makes the most legit sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad