Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
1. I don't think it's a reality, I'm saying if I was one of them, I'd do it. Seems stupid how under-utilized offer-sheets are.

2. He really seemed like he wanted to test free agency and get out of NY. Despite the theatrics. I think attracting Tavares to his "childhood dream place to play" is something anyone of us could've pulled off. The Leafs have had some favorable draft picks lately, it'd be nice to start as GM w/ 3 superstar 21 year olds.
I agree with you on the offer sheet aspect but it's no secret that GM's are too soft to do anything that takes balls.

How the Leafs have been able to turn their franchise around in such short time through drafting, development, and trades/free agency is nothing short of impressive. Nylander and Marner were great draft picks, the Marlies are a development powerhouse (Nylander, Johnsson, Leipsic, Sparks, Borgman, Kapanen, Holl, Dermott, Bracco, Liljegren), and now the guy who made them a development powerhouse is doing what he needs to do to make the team a cup contender.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Federov's was the best offersheet (by the Canes back in '98), when he ended up making $28m for the season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow, I didn't even remember that happened.

It was "only" a $5m x 2 deal during the strike season.

Penner in '07 was the last one that didn't get matched $4.3 x 5 and the cost was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, we've tried to move a lotta contracts the past few years, that's worked out well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still, I think this would be one hell of a time to offer sheet Nylander. Would put Toronto in such a tough spot. Nice way for Fenton to start off his tenure as the GM lol. Would've almost been better if Fletcher did it and then we cleaned house to try to minimize the bad blood caused.
And with what cap space are we going to make this offer? Are we cool with Dumba getting offer sheeted back?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And with what cap space are we going to make this offer? Are we cool with Dumba getting offer sheeted back?

Match the OS or take the picks and move on. I have no issues with offer sheets. Good GMs will thrive and bad GMs will get eaten alive.
-Lock the important players up during the season instead of waiting until 5 mins before an arbitration hearing starts.
-Don't trade your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks
-Be smart with your cap

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Match the OS or take the picks and move on. I have no issues with offer sheets. Good GMs will thrive and bad GMs will get eaten alive.
-Lock the important players up during the season instead of waiting until 5 mins before an arbitration hearing starts.
-Don't trade your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks
-Be smart with your cap

Even though items 1 and 3 might be contradictory?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Even though items 1 and 3 might be contradictory?

Not really, just don't give out the long term high priced contract to older players. It just shifts the pay scale in favor of the younger guys a little bit. You'd be paying for future production unlike now where you're overpaying for past production (ie any $6x6 deal signed by a 30 yo).

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Small sample, but Fenton seems to be better than Fletcher with managing the money. Got a lot of cheap depth, and left himself enough to address the RFAs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Small sample, but Fenton seems to be better than Fletcher with managing the money. Got a lot of cheap depth, and left himself enough to address the RFAs.

Fletcher did the same thing last year with Rau, O'Reilly, Cullen, Murphy, Quincey, Svedberg, Ferraro, and Winnik as AHL/NHL depth signings. Some were good, and some were bad.

Can't really judge Fenton until after next season on the guys he just signed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So far with Fenton, we have exactly the same day to day stuff.

The only difference is the low amount of info leading up to it.

I have seen nothing actually happen yet that would have been any different than Fletcher.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So far with Fenton, we have exactly the same day to day stuff.

The only difference is the low amount of info leading up to it.

I have seen nothing actually happen yet that would have been any different than Fletcher.

Fenton let Kurtis Gabriel walk; Fletcher's new org signed him.

A lot of input from Bruce this offseason - big advocate for Fehr and Hendricks.

But I agree, I don't think there's going to be much difference. The owner and GM know each other well; the teams (NSH and MIN) are similarly situated; the strengths and talent bases are comparable.

But Parise doesn't have the tradeable contract that Marty Erat had. And Pominville was already dealt for a loss.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fenton let Kurtis Gabriel walk; Fletcher's new org signed him.

A lot of input from Bruce this offseason - big advocate for Fehr and Hendricks.

But I agree, I don't think there's going to be much difference. The owner and GM know each other well; the teams (NSH and MIN) are similarly situated; the strengths and talent bases are comparable.

But Parise doesn't have the tradeable contract that Marty Erat had. And Pominville was already dealt for a loss.
Yeah, but then Fenton went and brought in his own Gabriel equivalent, so what's the point?

The Wild tried to get Hendricks last off season too, so what's the point?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yeah, but then Fenton went and brought in his own Gabriel equivalent, so what's the point?

The Wild tried to get Hendricks last off season too, so what's the point?

what was my point? supporting yours, for the most part. There's not much difference at all. I don't really understand why they signed Liambas but I don't play in the AHL. The bloodthirsty people of Des Moines are surely going to enjoy his game. We'll see if it does anything to get them into the playoffs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
what was my point? supporting yours, for the most part. There's not much difference at all. I don't really understand why they signed Liambas but I don't play in the AHL. The bloodthirsty people of Des Moines are surely going to enjoy his game. We'll see if it does anything to get them into the playoffs.
Ok, it just looked like you were trying to bring those things up as a difference from Fletcher when it really isn't is all.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fenton's success is going to be determined by the same thing it was with Fletcher: His ability to bring in elite forward talent. Without tanking.

In 9 years, Fletcher brought in Parise, Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Staal, and Coyle as his best answers to that problem.

Fenton has to do better.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

We'd obviously have to trade someone like Zucker. There's a 0% chance of it happening and you definitely wouldn't wanna do it until you got Dumba/Zucker figured out because Toronto could definitely put us right back into a tough situation. Best situation would be for the Habs or Bruins to put the heat on them and force them into it. Very likely would not happen, but I'd love to see offersheets used more.

I wonder how often (if ever) offersheets are offered but not accepted by the player because of the standing it would put you in with your current team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just take a flyer and OS some RFA that buried because of NHL depth for under $1.3m. Maybe it gets matched maybe it doesn't either way the Wild give up nothing. It might moderately piss off another GM, but it's not breaking their backs with a high priced contract they "have" to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad