Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This is a bull**** narrative. Leafs are fine.

This reads like someone who has no idea about who they have in their pipeline.

In what ways are they going to sign 1 Top 9 winger, 2 4th liners, 1 depth forward, a #3 defensemen, 2 3rd pairing defensemen, 1 7th defenseman, and a backup goalie for roughly $10 million?

It ain't happening.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
In what ways are they going to sign 1 Top 9 winger, 2 4th liners, 1 depth forward, a #3 defensemen, 2 3rd pairing defensemen, 1 7th defenseman, and a backup goalie for roughly $10 million?

It ain't happening.

Did you add in the $5.3m of Hotron LTIR money, and was there any cap increase?
-Liljergen fills top-4 slot on an ELC. $1m
-Kapanen on a cheap bridge deal fills the top-9 slot. $2m?
-4th line/pressbox $3m (3 players)
-backup goalie $1m
-$3m for a bottom pair (2 players)

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

It ain't happening.
Hyman (2.5) - Matthews (RFA) - Nylander (RFA)
Marleau (6.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (RFA)
Johnsson (RFA) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (RFA)
Brown (2.1)

Rielly (5) - ??? (???)
Dermott (863k) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Borgman (RFA) - Liljegren (894k)
Holl/Subban/Rosen (RFA)

Andersen (5)
Garret Sparks (RFA)

Assume the cap goes up by $3m to $82.5 - that leaves $40m in space to sign 7/8 RFA's and sign a free agent or make a trade for a #2 D.

Matthews = 11.5m
Marner = 7m
Nylander = 6.25m

That leaves 15m+ to take care of Kapanen, Johnsson, Borgman, Sparks, the #2D spot and a 7th RFA d-man.

That's a cakewalk.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Did you add in the $5.3m of Hotron LTIR money, and was there any cap increase?
-Liljergen fills top-4 slot on an ELC. $1m
-Kapanen on a cheap bridge deal fills the top-9 slot. $2m?
-4th line/pressbox $3m (3 players)
-backup goalie $1m
-$3m for a bottom pair (2 players)

Yes, that includes the LTIR. And I set the cap increase to $82M. Might go up more, but I don't think it's going to increase as much as it did from this past season.

Hyman (2.5) - Matthews (RFA) - Nylander (RFA)
Marleau (6.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (RFA)
Johnsson (RFA) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (RFA)
Brown (2.1)

Rielly (5) - ??? (???)
Dermott (863k) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Borgman (RFA) - Liljegren (894k)
Holl/Subban/Rosen (RFA)

Andersen (5)
Garret Sparks (RFA)

Assume the cap goes up by $3m to $82.5 - that leaves $40m in space to sign 7/8 RFA's and sign a free agent or make a trade for a #2 D.

Matthews = 11.5m
Marner = 7m
Nylander = 6.25m

That leaves 15m+ to take care of Kapanen, Johnsson, Borgman, Sparks, the #2D spot and a 7th RFA d-man.

That's a cakewalk.

There is no way Nylander isn't getting at least $7M. After Marner puts up a PPG this season, he's probably getting $9M too.

Hyman (2.5) - Matthews (11) - Nylander (7)
Marleau (6.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (9)
Martin (2.5) - Kadri (4.5) - EMPTY
Brown (2.1) - EMPTY - EMPTY
EMPTY

Rielly (5) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Dermott (863k) - EMPTY
EMPTY - EMPTY
EMPTY

Andersen (5)
EMPTY

Cap hit - $72.2M
Cap Ceiling - $82.5M
Cap Space - $10.3M

I don't see them building a strong team while commiting that much to just 4 players. I think they're a perfect trade partner for us right now.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes, that includes the LTIR. And I set the cap increase to $82M. Might go up more, but I don't think it's going to increase as much as it did from this past season. There is no way Nylander isn't getting at least $7M. After Marner puts up a PPG this season, he's probably getting $9M too.

I don't think either of them will get that much. They won't get open market prices, lots of RFA years will be in those contracts, and neither of them are arbitration eligible.

Whatever happens the truth is, I'd much rather have the Leafs problems than the Wild's problems.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Yes, that includes the LTIR. And I set the cap increase to $82M. Might go up more, but I don't think it's going to increase as much as it did from this past season.

There is no way Nylander isn't getting at least $7M. After Marner puts up a PPG this season, he's probably getting $9M too.
For the sake of your argument, that brings it from 15.15m in cap space to 12.475m. Still tons of room to fill in their holes. Cakewalk.

E: For what it's worth, Dubas has a fantastic argument not to pay Nylander more than Pastrnak or Gaudrea. Marner will probably get a deal close to what Gaudreau signed (9.25% of cap).

Nylander showed no growth as a player YoY.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, we've tried to move a lotta contracts the past few years, that's worked out well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still, I think this would be one hell of a time to offer sheet Nylander. Would put Toronto in such a tough spot. Nice way for Fenton to start off his tenure as the GM lol. Would've almost been better if Fletcher did it and then we cleaned house to try to minimize the bad blood caused.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, we've tried to move a lotta contracts the past few years, that's worked out well.

$2.5m is a lot easier to move than $4.6m, $5.6m, and $6.5m. Plus Martian is only due $750k this year (after his signing bonus is paid today), and $1.75m next year.

Reactions: Minnesnota

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Because literally the only thing he's done as an NHL GM was sign Tavares, a hometown kid?
He's responsible for one of the best development programs in the NHL (the Marlies) and just won a Calder Cup.

He just signed the biggest free agent in recent memory.

He's 32 years old.

He's only had the top job for 23 days.

You do the math.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He's responsible for one of the best development programs in the NHL (the Marlies) and just won a Calder Cup.
That doesn't mean he can magically get rid of contracts, that's a completely different job. I'm not saying he can't get rid of it - the contract's not THAT bad - but those skill sets are not equivalent.

But man, rough life when your first year as a GM welcomes you with JT and Mathews down the middle.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
$2.5m is a lot easier to move than $4.6m, $5.6m, and $6.5m. Plus Martian is only due $750k this year (after his signing bonus is paid today), and $1.75m next year.

Still, I don't even think $2.5M would be enough. They're not going to build very much depth for their team with so little in cap space. There's a lot of rumblings about Nylander being moved because of how top-heavy they'll be. They can be forced into the situation very easily too. If I was an inter-divisional opponent, I'd offersheet him in a heartbeat.

He just signed the biggest free agent in recent memory.

He's 32 years old.

He's only had the top job for 23 days.

You do the math.

Wasn't very difficult to get a UFA to play for their dream team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That doesn't mean he can magically get rid of contracts, that's a completely different job. I'm not saying he can't get rid of it - the contract's not THAT bad - but those skill sets are not equivalent.

But man, rough life when your first year as a GM welcomes you with JT and Mathews down the middle.

Tor has a stacked prospect pool and all (but a 6th) of their next 3 year's picks. He has a lot to work with, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a team to dump Martin on, even if requires a slight overpay Tor can absorb it.

Reactions: Minnesnota

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Still, I don't even think $2.5M would be enough. They're not going to build very much depth for their team with so little in cap space. There's a lot of rumblings about Nylander being moved because of how top-heavy they'll be. They can be forced into the situation very easily too. If I was an inter-divisional opponent, I'd offersheet him in a heartbeat.

Wasn't very difficult to get a UFA to play for their dream team.
1. Laughable you think that's a reality.

2. I'm sure his 4 years of work as AGM and creating the powerhouse that is the Toronto Marlies is a big factor in creating a team that a high profile UFA like Tavares would find attractive. Unless you think being a good GM is easy....

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Tor has a stacked prospect pool and all (but a 6th) of their next 3 year's picks. He has a lot to work with, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a team to dump Martin on, even if requires a slight overpay Tor can absorb it.

I think it costs a lot more than we think to dump contracts nowadays. Ennis or Pommers at 50% retainment shoulda been able to happen

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I agree, my point is I don't think we should anoint him this great GM when he hasn't done anything.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh even better for Dubas is he beat out Lamoriello (NYI new GM and the guy he just replaced as GM of Tor). I dunno if that's been mentioned here or not. Everything has come up roses for him today.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
1. Laughable you think that's a reality.

2. I'm sure his 4 years of work as AGM and creating the powerhouse that is the Toronto Marlies is a big factor in creating a team that a high profile UFA like Tavares would find attractive. Unless you think being a good GM is easy....

1. I don't think it's a reality, I'm saying if I was one of them, I'd do it. Seems stupid how under-utilized offer-sheets are.

2. He really seemed like he wanted to test free agency and get out of NY. Despite the theatrics. I think attracting Tavares to his "childhood dream place to play" is something anyone of us could've pulled off. The Leafs have had some favorable draft picks lately, it'd be nice to start as GM w/ 3 superstar 21 year olds.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think it costs a lot more than we think to dump contracts nowadays. Ennis or Pommers at 50% retainment shoulda been able to happen

What did the Wild have to use for a Pommer dump? They just lost Tuch for nothing, didn't have a pick until the the late 3rd round, and Pommer had a 20 team NTC in effect.

Ennis probably could have been moved for something similar to the Mason trade. I'm not impressed with GMPF currently; maybe it wasn't something he could make happen, or didn't want to because the buyout was easier, or the owner just said eat the money and move on. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad