Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I proposed a Spurgeon + Coyle for Draisaitl + cap dump to some EDM fans. They were somewhat receptive... EDM would " win" for the first few years, but hopefully LD would become a true #1C for years to come with the Wild.

I don't know if it even is a good idea...certainly a bit risky. Both Spurgeon and Coyle are playing their ass off, and are great team players. We'd be betting on LD's ceiling.

I wonder if he would be good on the Tempstar commercials?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I proposed a Spurgeon + Coyle for Draisaitl + cap dump to some EDM fans. They were somewhat receptive... EDM would " win" for the first few years, but hopefully LD would become a true #1C for years to come with the Wild.

I don't know if it even is a good idea...certainly a bit risky. Both Spurgeon and Coyle are playing their ass off, and are great team players. We'd be betting on LD's ceiling.

With the way we are playing right now.

Id be thinking the other way. Anything to help today and screw the future.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Do we even have an idea what Coyle's ceiling is yet?

50-60 point PF winger + top pair defenseman for ?

If you think he's a future 80+ point C (aka top 10 center) then maybe; but if he's only a 60-70 point C, then I'd rather just bet on JEE's future.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Do we even have an idea what Coyle's ceiling is yet?

50-60 point PF winger + top pair defenseman for ?

If you think he's a future 80+ point C (aka top 10 center) then maybe; but if he's only a 60-70 point C, then I'd rather just bet on JEE's future.

That's the trouble with trading for young players, right? It's a guess. I think Drai's got as good a chance, or better, than almost any other young center in the game of reaching 80 point potential. I can tell you what won't happen: Draisaitl actually becomes an 80 point center, and the Oilers still trade him for Coyle and Spurgeon.

As for Coyle, I think he's got 60 points upside. Spurgeon is Spurgeon, he's likely a finished product. I doubt he'll explode offensively like Burns has in San Jose. I'm not advocating making this trade, btw, just pointing out that it's always going to be a gamble if you want to try for a #1 center in a trade.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is in his prime. Coyle is just hitting it. Draisaitl has a couple of years to go before he even starts to hit it.

Losing Spurgeon's salary would help us keep other players like Nino pretty easily.

There is risk, for sure. Draisaitl would end up having to be a top 15 #1C in order for the deal to be worth it. He is damn young, though, damn good, and has decent size.

I feel kind of bad for suggesting trading two of the most likeable players on the Wild. It's like trading Bambi and Topo Gigo.

If we didn't have Nino, and some big guys like Tuch, Greenway, and Ek coming down the pipe I wouldn't mention it.

Our team D would take a big hit if we send both these guys away, also.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Spurgeon+Coyle for Draisaitl+cap dump? Yeah I'd be on board with that, however I think making a run at Tavares with those two plus a high pick could be just as likely.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Draisaitl is five years younger, and we'd have him under team control for a lot longer, and for a lot cheaper. He would also cost less. Tavares has been a terrific player, but I don't want to be paying a player for what he has done in the past. We are OK at C for the next couple of years. After that, we could use a top 1C. Tavares would already be 28-9...just starting to leave his prime, and getting paid a TON of money for max term.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

That would be awful for the Wild to tell you the truth.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Buy Poms out this year or next (capfrienldly) and make a run at Tavares in 2 years. Toronto is said to be a destination for him also. Absolutley no need to give up assets for him.

Last edited:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
That would be awful for the Wild to tell you the truth.

Fully agree. Drai is good, just watching him you can tell he's something special, but he's also running some terribly unsustainable numbers on the PP, is worse than Coyle at 5v5, and after a similar impossible start last season ended with 7 points in his last 18 games. I think it's easy to say Coyle and Drai are both locks for 20+ goals ongoing, but I don't think Drai is a lock for 30+ and without that I don't trade a top 6 20+ goal scorer and top pair puck moving RHD. Plus Coyle's contract is just insane at this point and Drai would probably take Spurgeon's contract+ next year. Would rather wait on JEE.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Unbelievable how many people underrate Spurgeon on the main board. :shakehead

You think they would realize the team with the 2nd best goals against over the past 4 seasons might have some pretty good defensemen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Pretty crazy how just a few seasons ago Center was such a huge need on this team now people are passing up on the likes of Draisatial and Tavaras because we have depth and players coming in the pipeline. Thank you Staal and Haula :handclap:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty crazy how just a few seasons ago Center was such a huge need on this team now people are passing up on the likes of Draisatial and Tavaras because we have depth and players coming in the pipeline. Thank you Staal and Haula :handclap:

Ek, for all that he played only 9 games, certainly showed signs of being an NHL player in the near future. He's big, he can skate, and showed a two way game, which is something that many players coming out of Junior don't have. I'm penciling him in for a top 9 C spot....premature to speculate what his ceiling is.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Ek, for all that he played only 9 games, certainly showed signs of being an NHL player in the near future. He's big, he can skate, and showed a two way game, which is something that many players coming out of Junior don't have. I'm penciling him in for a top 9 C spot....premature to speculate what his ceiling is.

What do you do with Haula if you're penciling him in at 3C at a minimum?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Unbelievable how many people underrate Spurgeon on the main board. :shakehead

You think they would realize the team with the 2nd best goals against over the past 4 seasons might have some pretty good defensemen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wild fans overrate him. Other fans under rate him. He is getting more recognized now.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Let's just keep Coyle.

Spurg? He is an excellent chip, and GMs around the league know more than the ignorami who post on the main board.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeah, there's no major moves to be made right now.

I hate how certain fanbases are circling like vultures over our defense. "Trade us Spurgeon/Scandella/Brodin for crap+junk+late pick" "No?" "WELL HAVE FUN LOSING HIM FOR FREE THEN :):):):):):)"

Those kinda suggestions should be instant trip to Gulags, no questions asked. Only thing it leads to is another lesson about how trading one D-man doesn't improve our situation at all, and how we have no reason to trade them below market value. Why should we help another team just to prevent Brodin/Scandella/Spurgeon from going to Vegas?

I've come to slowly accept the fact that yes, we are going to lose a very, very good and valuable player. Who knows, we might get Pommer to waive his clause, but in all likelihood, one of them is gone. Still better than losing one for peanuts and another for free.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I hate how certain fanbases are circling like vultures over our defense. "Trade us Spurgeon/Scandella/Brodin for crap+junk+late pick" "No?" "WELL HAVE FUN LOSING HIM FOR FREE THEN :):):):):):)"

Those kinda suggestions should be instant trip to Gulags, no questions asked. Only thing it leads to is another lesson about how trading one D-man doesn't improve our situation at all, and how we have no reason to trade them below market value. Why should we help another team just to prevent Brodin/Scandella/Spurgeon from going to Vegas?

I've come to slowly accept the fact that yes, we are going to lose a very, very good and valuable player. Who knows, we might get Pommer to waive his clause, but in all likelihood, one of them is gone. Still better than losing one for peanuts and another for free.

I've been going over possible trades in my head in how to make the team better. I can't come up with too many (within the cap, and NTC's).

I don't think any trades will happen until a major injury happens. Maybe a backup goalie swap?

I can see some major trades after the season; either before the expansion draft, or at the draft in Chi depending on how the cap is looking. For instance: Vegas goes off book and does something like pick Folin it really hurts cap money, flat cap, the RFAs getting/wanting/earning more than expected right now.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

Fletcher, just like every other GM, is going to do everything to come up with solutions that result in the Vegas pick being of lowest possible value. Losing a good player for nothing is worse than getting peanuts for one. Not that I think that there wouldn't be more than just peanuts out there.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Fletcher, just like every other GM, is going to do everything to come up with solutions that result in the Vegas pick being of lowest possible value. Losing a good player for nothing is worse than getting peanuts for one. Not that I think that there wouldn't be more than just peanuts out there.

Yes, but what they are offering is a single-player trade, which doesn't help us at all. Say, Brodin for x isn't going to help our situation, because it just means they are going to grab another very good D-man from us (assuming we can only protect 3D).

Of course Fletcher will do everything he can. But I don't think we should trade 2 D-men for peanuts instead of losing one of them. If there is good value on the table, that is a whole different thing altogether.

My point, however, was not that. Simply addressing that annoying trend in trade forums. Which is why one probably shouldn't browse trade forums, unless it were for laughs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm waiting for the TDL to see what interest the Wild get for their d-men. If the best offer is picks for players I pass and keep the team together for a Cup run.

Before the expansion draft I'd be open to (fair) picks for players. If anything we get some magic beans, and cap relief.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
I'm waiting for the TDL to see what interest the Wild get for their d-men. If the best offer is picks for players I pass and keep the team together for a Cup run.

Before the expansion draft I'd be open to (fair) picks for players. If anything we get some magic beans, and cap relief.

I don't see a trade involving our d at the deadline. (Barring injuries) We really don't have room for a top 9 forward right now and the bottom pairing will be clogged up when dalpie comes back. The off-season is where the trading a d will happen. I just see a scandella and dumba for a big time prospect happening

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't see a trade involving our d at the deadline. (Barring injuries) We really don't have room for a top 9 forward right now and the bottom pairing will be clogged up when dalpie comes back. The off-season is where the trading a d will happen. I just see a scandella and dumba for a big time prospect happening

I could see the Wild looking for a good backup that's signed through next season, as part of a package deal. Wild do need a qualified goalie under contract (besides Dub). Plus Kuemper hasn't really instilled any confidence this year (so far).

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
I could see the Wild looking for a good backup that's signed through next season, as part of a package deal. Wild do need a qualified goalie under contract (besides Dub). Plus Kuemper hasn't really instilled any confidence this year (so far).

Yeah it would be nice to have that really good backup goalie For the playoffs but i don't think we will get one. Goalies better than kuemper are going to be a full time starter. I think we have our 2 goalies behind dubs. Trading assets is a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad