Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Wasn't really trying to compare to anything I guess. Just mainly saying there are probably a lot of players in their mid 20's who don't get paid as much as they deserve to be. And with the heightened focus on youth/speed, I could see (even if it's just a little bit) some of those players come out into UFA around 30 yrs old and never get a big contract.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Wasn't really trying to compare to anything I guess. Just mainly saying there are probably a lot of players in their mid 20's who don't get paid as much as they deserve to be. And with the heightened focus on youth/speed, I could see (even if it's just a little bit) some of those players come out into UFA around 30 yrs old and never get a big contract.

This is so true. Players get paid for past performance. I really don't understand why GMs don't want to pay for future performance I mean the Trouba and Gaudreau situations are perfect examples of this.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
This is so true. Players get paid for past performance. I really don't understand why GMs don't want to pay for future performance I mean the Trouba and Gaudreau situations are perfect examples of this.

You can't predict future performance.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I'm not really proposing any sort of solution either...not sure there is one. Although these days there are more tools than ever before to try and predict performances based on prior years...and just overall trends in the league if you sort by age. It's a tough deal for everyone. It's hard to stay under the cap as a GM even the way it is....those RFA contracts liek we have with Coyle are a huge help. But players probably don't like the way it's going down right now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Because the CBA is setup in such a way that they don't need to. For every Pominville getting over-paid by 2 million bucks, there are 4 guys on early RFA/ELC deals getting under-paid by .5 - 3 million dollars.

You add all our top 9 winger's salaries together (Coyle, Nino, Parise, Pominville, Zucker and Grandlund) and they make roughly 24 million dollars. That's a perfectly reasonable amount to spend on 6 players.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
As far as expansion goes 7+3+1 is my thinking
Buy out poms, keep Koivu , Parise, Staal, Grany, Nino,Coyle and Haula as forwards.
Keep Suter,Brodin and Dumba. With the idea of keeping our younger dmen around. Spergy/ Scandy contracts are up sooner and will be 30 at the end of their respective contracts.

Sign Nino 5 years 4.5 mil
Grany 4 years 4 mil
Haula 3 years 2.5mil
Folin 2 years 1-1.5 mil
Backup goalie

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Buy out poms, keep Koivu , Parise, Staal, Grany, Nino,Coyle and Haula as forwards.
Keep Suter,Brodin and Dumba. With the idea of keeping our younger dmen around. Spergy/ Scandy contracts are up sooner and will be 30 at the end of their respective contracts.

Grany 4 years 4 mil
Haula 3 years 2.5mil
Folin 2 years 1-1.5 mil
Backup goalie

I still don't see a Pommer buyout after the season, he's a big cap hit in dead money. He's playing at a ~15g/20a pace. He's the whipping boy, but he makes his lines better. If you want to see the different charts: http://hockeyviz.com/player/pominja82/MIN/1617

A trade after July 1st is more likelym his $2.5m signing bonus will be paid then, and he's be $7.5m total in real money for rest of the contract. Even if the Wild have to retain some money he could be deal for a cheap owner.

I doubt Haula would get picked over any of the d-man or Zucker.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Grany 4 years 4 mil
Haula 3 years 2.5mil
Folin 2 years 1-1.5 mil
Backup goalie

No reason to Buyout Pommer if going 7-3-1. No Cap savings. Just protect three NMCs, Nino, Coyle Staal and Granlund. Haula/Zucker won't be picked over a D, and if they were... well that's great for us with 8 - 10 teams losing defensemen, their trade value will never be higher.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The point to buy out Poms is not because he is playing terribly, but so that we can protect one more good young player for the expansion draft. I am OK with the way Pominville is playing. He seems more relaxed, and better all round. I don't expect him to score as much with his lesser opportunities, but he's a savvy player.

If we could just get him to waive it would accomplish the same thing, AND we'd likely still be able to keep him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What are the chances we could swing a trade for tavaras? Anyone see anyway we line up as trade partners?

Brodin+Coyle+1st/JEE would probably be the starting point for Tavares.

Isles trade Tavares for less than Matthews/Eichel they are going to tank and kill their what's left of their fan base (moving the their crappy new arena hurt them).

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I have read a few places that TB is looking for a top 4 option on defense... Anything ya'll think we could try and pry from them for one of our defensemen??

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I have read a few places that TB is looking for a top 4 option on defense... Anything ya'll think we could try and pry from them for one of our defensemen??

Drouin, Johnson, or Palat. Drouin would probably take a lot to acquire though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Brodin+Coyle+1st/JEE would probably be the starting point for Tavares.

Isles trade Tavares for less than Matthews/Eichel they are going to tank and kill their what's left of their fan base (moving the their crappy new arena hurt them).
Scandella+Dumba+Haula+JEE for JT+D prospect.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
For them. It's so obvious that the Islanders won't trade JT if he re-signs that it doesn't need to be mentioned.

Right. So he says he's not re-signing with the Islanders, but would he be (theoretically) willing to re-sign with the team that trades for him, or is he intent on testing free agency? That would be the #1 question if we're going to send them two top 4 defenseman, a good 3rd line center and our best center prospect. And even if he is, is it a no-brainer to pay him $9 to $10m+ until he's 36?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Right. So he says he's not re-signing with the Islanders, but would he be (theoretically) willing to re-sign with the team that trades for him, or is he intent on testing free agency? That would be the #1 question if we're going to send them two top 4 defenseman, a good 3rd line center and our best center prospect. And even if he is, is it a no-brainer to pay him $9 to $10m+ until he's 36?
No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino