Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Since the previous one went over 40, might as well start a new one.

Old thread.

Last 5 posts:

Larkin and Dumba are on different planets when it comes to value.

That's what people should be saying about us and Dumba, yet half the people here want to trade him.

Forget Larkin... no way Detroit trades him.

Because you still have to replace the guy making 800-900K. In your example of Spurgeon+Folin for RNH, the Wild move out about $5.9M and take in $6M. Seems like a wash until you call up Reilly or Gustafsson at 800-900K to replace Folin.

You all need to get off the RNH train - there will be better options down the road, either internally or through trade/free agency.

Proceed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We're going to have to trade a defenseman. Dumba has the most value right now.

Scandella is the one with the most value that is from a position of strength... LHD.

Dumba has 2nd most value (behind Spurgeon) from a position of less strength... RHD.

That being said, I'd trade Brodin over Scandella even... he has pretty high value right now as well, from a position of strength... LHD, and offers more versatility to whomever he goes to as he can play both sides.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That being said, I'd trade Brodin over Scandella even... he has pretty high value right now as well, from a position of strength... LHD, and offers more versatility to whomever he goes to as he can play both sides.

We would be selling Brodin pretty low given the season he had. Furthermore, we don't have a lot of minute eating defensemen like Brodin that plays a solid stay at home type. Scandella is hit or miss. Spurgeon is more two-way and Dumba sucks at defense.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I think we're back too wait and see mode worth this club. If the rnh ship has sailed I don't see any top c or rw available with the assets we have. Sucks but our best move for now is to keep what we have. With Tampa resigning stamkos, it looks like Johnson is the odd man out in Tampa. So we hope that brodin or dumba breaks out and a deal can be made there. No point trading a single dman because of the expansion draft; we'd still lose one.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think we're back too wait and see mode worth this club. If the rnh ship has sailed I don't see any top c or rw available with the assets we have. Sucks but our best move for now is to keep what we have. With Tampa resigning stamkos, it looks like Johnson is the odd man out in Tampa. So we hope that brodin or dumba breaks out and a deal can be made there. No point trading a single dman because of the expansion draft; we'd still lose one.

Why? Las Vegas has a salary cap and roster limit like any other team, they can only take so many guys.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
I'm surprised Pirri hasn't signed with anyone. He'd be a decent pick up. He has connections to Boudreau too. I wonder if the Wild would be interested. He'd fit with the younger guys.

But not really on the roster.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Palmieri signing gives Nino a bit of a template if he could put together a 25+25 (or more) type season.

I could see him doing that this year. If that line gels, it will make it very hard for teams to defend against the Wild this year. Having to respect 3 lines will really stretch them out.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Fletcher was on Sirius today, Regarding Dumba:

“He’s a big part of our future. Negotiations are going fine. I expect they’ll be able to come up with a deal here sometime in the next few weeks.

“Matt, I think you made a great point. He’s 21. Certainly there’s part of his game that still need to grow and mature, and I think he’s taken great strides defensively the last couple of years under the tutelage of Rick Wilson. Now he’ll get a chance to learn under Scott Stevens, which I think will be a great opportunity for him.

“But scoring 10 goals in this league is hard, and he’s younger than a lot of players that play defense for the University of Minnesota, right down the road. So I think people sometimes tend to forget that.

“He’s a guy that has great offensive upside. He’s a physical kid. He cares. He competes. He seems to save his best moments for the big stage. He’s a guy we think highly of, and we’re excited to see how he continues to progress under Scott this year.”

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/fletcher-dumba-big-part-future/

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I really don't see the Wild trading a roster player before the season starts. It seems pretty clear that Boudreau and Scott Stevens want the opportunity to work with our defensive group, especially the young guys like Scandella, Brodin,, Reilly, and Dumba. On top of that it just doesn't seem like teams are willing to meet the price Fletcher has set on these guys. I think we are better off holding onto what we have for now and maybe the right deal comes our way in-season. Injuries, bad starts, suspension, etc can make moves come together pretty quick.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I really don't see the Wild trading a roster player before the season starts. It seems pretty clear that Boudreau and Scott Stevens want the opportunity to work with our defensive group, especially the young guys like Scandella, Brodin,, Reilly, and Dumba. On top of that it just doesn't seem like teams are willing to meet the price Fletcher has set on these guys. I think we are better off holding onto what we have for now and maybe the right deal comes our way in-season. Injuries, bad starts, suspension, etc can make moves come together pretty quick.
That may be the case.

But as time goes on Fletcher is going to find out that he's not going to see a higher value with our defensemen, even if they have good years, because teams will know that we have to move at least two Dmen or be prepared to lose one.

Rather just liquidate the blueline now to upgrade the forward group.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wouldn't their value be extremely high right after the expansion draft? Teams that already lost a defenseman or traded away one not to lose him would be looking to pick another one back up.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Why? Las Vegas has a salary cap and roster limit like any other team, they can only take so many guys.

They can only take one player from each team. There's rules about positions as well but the only one I remember is 3 goalies will be taken. If we expose dumba and brodin, Vegas takes one, we're left with one. If we trade one before hand, we still have to expose the other. Vegas still gets one. This also means we won't lose a forward and a dman.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
That may be the case.

But as time goes on Fletcher is going to find out that he's not going to see a higher value with our defensemen, even if they have good years, because teams will know that we have to move at least two Dmen or be prepared to lose one.

Rather just liquidate the blueline now to upgrade the forward group.

But where are we going to upgrade at forward? The top 9 is set and most of the veterans are unmovable and the youngs guys we wouldn't want to part with. Then on top of that you have to find a trade partner willing to give up a player of that caliber in return and work out the cap/salaries to make it work. It's not an easy move to make.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They can only take one player from each team. There's rules about positions as well but the only one I remember is 3 goalies will be taken. If we expose dumba and brodin, Vegas takes one, we're left with one. If we trade one before hand, we still have to expose the other. Vegas still gets one. This also means we won't lose a forward and a dman.

They MUST take at least 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goaltenders. The last 4 players can be of any position.

Defense will be the player most attractive on most every team, so if you have a quality forward exposed, they are more likely to take the forward since the selection there is a lot slimmer.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Thinking through the expansion draft more, I am thinking you put Dumba together with Scandella, and you go get a 1st line center. Then you just patch the blueline the best you can.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
For the expansion - You buyout Pominville next year and go the 8 skater route.

Koivu, Parise, Coyle, Suter, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon, Scandella

Lose one of Nino, Haula, Granlund, Dubnyk etc...

Trade one of your protected young D after the draft to replace the forward you lost and call it a day. If they take Dubnyk you either trade for a replacement or sign a serviceable FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad