Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Agreed. Awful for the Wild. People got to understand that a draft pick is no guarantee of a player, let alone a good player, and even then you have to wait years for them to develop.

Trading both Spurgeon and Scandella is ridiculous.

I'm sorry but a shot at Keller, Jost, or Brown in my mind is worth more than one year of service from one of them and then losing that player for NOTHING. GMCF has already put us in a hole with the multiple NMC's and trading away multiple picks. We can't afford to lose a top 4 dman for nothing. That would be horrible asset management.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
@Nicholsonhockey McKenzie on Malkin-#Blackhawks: "I think Stan Bowman is laughing about that one. I know Jimmy Rutherford is." #Pens

McKenzie: "No. Malkin is not being traded. It's not even being talked about. But those rumors get out there." #Pens #Blackhawks

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It was obvious the Hawks could never get him, but the fact that Bobby Mac straight up says Malkin isn't being traded is interesting.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I was listening to the hockeypdocast they were talking about underrated free agents that could be had for cheap. They mentioned Jonathan Marchessault I think that could be a good signing he Wild plus he's only 25. (I really don't care about his size)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would deal Scandella and Spurgeon to maximize their value and sign a stop gap like Quincey or Hamhuis. That way we can get RNH and a top 6 LW/RW. It works the best for protecting guys for the expansion draft and keeps us in line to win next season.

Trading those two would gut our team. We might not recover from a trade like that for 10 or more years. You really don't seem to understand what a gift it is to have two talented, in their prime Dmen signed to reasonable deals. Don't squander it. Stop gap players for our top 4?

If we traded the S&S boys we'd have two top 4 Dmen. Dumba does not, and might never, play top 4 defense on a good team.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Trading those two would gut our team. We might not recover from a trade like that for 10 or more years. You really don't seem to understand what a gift it is to have two talented, in their prime Dmen signed to reasonable deals. Don't squander it. Stop gap players for our top 4?

If we traded the S&S boys we'd have two top 4 Dmen. Dumba does not, and might never, play top 4 defense on a good team.

So what do you think should happen to improve the team? If you think we need a high end center or wing we're moving a dman.. If we do 7F, 3D, 1G for expansion, we're losing one of them. For nothing... (I don't think Vegas GM would be stupid enough to pick Zucker over the dman we have to expose. Unless we make some trade proposal with them I guess). Like GMCF said in his press conference.. Everything has to be on the table to improve this team for next season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Did I just read Scandella+Kuemper's right+#15 for #8+30pt AHL player?

Try: Scandella for #8+

At the end of the day I think we pay Las Vegas to take Zucker in the expansion draft. Maybe move dman for RNH/#4/#8. Maybe move down if we can still get Kunin/Bellows.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Until Minnesota straightens out their development team, I'd be wary of trading for anyone. They haven't shown the capability of sustaining or improving any young player they get in a trade.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

To be honest I'm kinda surprised they can sign anyone, what with their future still so up in the air. Still, it's a shame the Coyotes aren't on firmer ground, because they're gonna have a damn good team in like 2 or 3 years. Can't help but think some other city's gonna get a gift wrapped, Cup run-ready team via relocation.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
In other news:

Sabres willing to trade 8th pick for top-end, left-shot defenseman

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I have to believe Fletch has called them offering Scandella. I don't wanna lose him obviously, but with expansion coming up, we'll lose one of our top 4 for nothing, so the #8OA would be a good consolation prize, and would allow us another interesting pick. If Buffalo would throw in another late-round pick or two, I'd be flabbergasted if we didn't accept.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
In other news:

I have to believe Fletch has called them offering Scandella. I don't wanna lose him obviously, but with expansion coming up, we'll lose one of our top 4 for nothing, so the #8OA would be a good consolation prize, and would allow us another interesting pick. If Buffalo would throw in another late-round pick or two, I'd be flabbergasted if we didn't accept.
Why are we taking a consolation when expansion isn't until next year?

That would be a horrible mistake. Trade a great young #3 for a guy who won't help this team for years.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Why are we taking a consolation when expansion isn't until next year?

That would be a horrible mistake. Trade a great young #3 for a guy who won't help this team for years.

Just being realistic about things. The video game esque trade proposals that get bandied about these boards as if they were how the real world works are even sillier.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
In other news:

The team is in win now mode :laugh: HELLO we aren't trading top 4 d man for 8th overalls. Thats just crazy talk. Maybe if we are rebuilding and have no chance to sign the guy. Not happening.

Also why is everyone so into Zucker going to Vegas. If he doesn't improve Vegas isn't even going to want him. And still there is plenty more to like from our team. He wouldn't be some hometown hero. He would be a third line nobody.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Also why is everyone so into Zucker going to Vegas. If he doesn't improve Vegas isn't even going to want him. And still there is plenty more to like from our team. He wouldn't be some hometown hero. He would be a third line nobody.

It's right up there with thinking they'll pick three forwards who wear #7 to create a line.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So what do you think should happen to improve the team? If you think we need a high end center or wing we're moving a dman.. If we do 7F, 3D, 1G for expansion, we're losing one of them. For nothing... (I don't think Vegas GM would be stupid enough to pick Zucker over the dman we have to expose. Unless we make some trade proposal with them I guess). Like GMCF said in his press conference.. Everything has to be on the table to improve this team for next season.

The fact that we're losing one of them, is exactly the reason to keep all of them.

Yes, the Wild are going to lose a good piece to the expansion draft. Most teams are, it sucks but it's the reality.

If we trade one of them, we are still exposing 1 who will likely get picked. Leaving us with 3 top 4 defenders.

If we trade two of them, we can protect them all but we are still left with only 3 top 4 defenders.

Keeping them all gives us choices who to protect. Maybe Brodin takes an offensive step forward and you expose Dumba and Scandella, maybe Dumba takes a leap defensively and you expose Brodin/Scandella. Maybe they both take big leaps and you expose Spurgeon and Scandella.

Yes it will suck to lose a player without compensation. But we'll still be left with a solid D core, Reilly(who is exempt), Oloffson and Folin(assuming he's still around).

If there is a deal involving a Center that can be made to help now, so be it. But trading them for picks/prospects because of the expansion draft is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If I had to pick one that we had to trade or get rid of, I hate to say it would be Scandella. Dumba's game may improve on the defensive end and Brodin Spurgeon are better options long term, IMO. If we can get a center that has top line potential, than I think we can survive without him. Oloffson should be able to step in right away...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Just being realistic about things. The video game esque trade proposals that get bandied about these boards as if they were how the real world works are even sillier.
That's not realistic at all. Just because you can execute a trade doesn't mean it is wise.

Any day of the weeks I can take a dollar bill and trade it to anybody for 3 quarters. But that would be a horrible trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad