Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
At this point why would Tampa move Drouin? He had a great playoff and seemingly made amends for his poor attitude and decisions in-season. I can't see Kuemper and Dumba doing anything for them. i know the goalie market is hot right now but is any team trading for Keumper to be their starter? I think he's a move for a team looking for a 1A/1B setup or a rebuilding team that can afford to let him play and make mistakes. Toronto made the most sense and now they have their guy with Andersen.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Dumba+Kuemper and you are getting somewhere.

No, not really. These guys are both unsigned, meaning their value is uncertain, adding to the stress of management, creating legal bills. Dumba is a coveted asset around the league, but no one knows if he's ready to be more than a number four/pp guy.

Tampa Bay also has two goalies in their system much better than Kuemper, and a prospect in Gudlevskis who is not far off.

Might they trade Drouin, an elite inexpensive player under team control on an ELC? Sure, if there's a team with a comparable asset going the other way. Name those guys......... then figure out a team that also has the room for Matt Carle's terrible contract. So, why would you even mention Drouin?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
There's no chance Kuemper can get a starter job anywhere, so with our depth, we might as well just keep him an extra year and let him walk in UFA.

Unless of course someone overpays or Fletch is confident we can get a similar backup for a similar price. Then you might as well trade him.

I'd rather trade him for something now (soon).

Start Michalek in Iowa and get him as many starts as possible; call him up when we find a suitor for Kuemper.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Not sure why Tampa would be trading Drouin now, unless they haven't settled their little squabble behind the scenes. It seemed like they were pretty happy working together in the Playoffs.

That's how you make room for Stamkos...

Also means Tampa might be looking for a backup goalie.

Tampa was also going to have to make a decision on Vasilevskiy or Bishop before the expansion draft next year (similar to how Pittsburgh might have to try and trade one of Murray or MAF) and you might as well make the trade now before the music stops and every team has their goalie that they plan to protect.

Are there any other #1 goalie vacancies in the league at the moment?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If the rumors about Buffalo tossing 12M+ at Stamkos, I'd imagine they outbid everyone else by a fair margin. Tampa Bay knows this and they're prepared to forge ahead without Stamkos.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
With Florida acquiring Yandle, looks like Brian Campbell is going to test free agency... Likely destination (if numbers work out) is Chicago. Yuck. :pout:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
With Florida acquiring Yandle, looks like Brian Campbell is going to test free agency... Likely destination (if numbers work out) is Chicago. Yuck. :pout:

If he takes less money to go back to Chicago...

office-dwight-mad.gif

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
sounds like Arizona is receiving some good offers for the 7th OA. They would get a quality dman if we end up trading the 15th like Bean or McAvoy, and we'd get our Brown, Jost or Keller.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not sure why Tampa would be trading Drouin now, unless they haven't settled their little squabble behind the scenes. It seemed like they were pretty happy working together in the Playoffs.

Tampa was also going to have to make a decision on Vasilevskiy or Bishop before the expansion draft next year (similar to how Pittsburgh might have to try and trade one of Murray or MAF) and you might as well make the trade now before the music stops and every team has their goalie that they plan to protect.

Are there any other #1 goalie vacancies in the league at the moment?
Yes and no. I think it's safe to say that nobody has any idea what happened behind the scenes. Tampa could easily be done with the guy if they get a full-price offer for him.

Tampa's week could look like:

-Bishop and 1st to Calgary for 6th overall

-Re-sign Stamkos

-Trade Drouin and 2nd for Dumba, Kuemper, and 15th overall

- 6th overall and 15th overall to Columbus for 3rd overall and cap dump

-Buyout Carle

Never happen. But that could be fun for them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the rumors about Buffalo tossing 12M+ at Stamkos, I'd imagine they outbid everyone else by a fair margin. Tampa Bay knows this and they're prepared to forge ahead without Stamkos.

BUF would be insane to go after Stamkos. Beef up their D, and get an extra top 6'er, instead. They've got Eichel, Reinhart, and a few other decent pieces.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
BUF would be insane to go after Stamkos. Beef up their D, and get an extra top 6'er, instead. They've got Eichel, Reinhart, and a few other decent pieces.

Buffalo can't afford to be good. Their bonuses would wreck them.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I still think it will be a Wild/EDM trade this week! Maybe multi player also

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Just wondering what people think about...

:wild Marco Scandella + RFA rights to Darcy Kuemper + 15OA

for

:sabres 8OA + Evan Rodrigues

:wild Jared Spurgeon + Jason Zucker

for

:edmonton Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Sign:
David Backes (5.5 million x 3 years)
Kyle Quincey (2 million x 2 years)
Carter Hutton (900k x 2 years)

Roll with..

Parise-RNH-Niederreiter
Granlund-Koivu-Coyle
Backes-Haula-Pominville
4th liners

Suter-Brodin
Quincey-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Expansion:
-Suter, Brodin, Dumba
-Parise, RNH, Niederreiter, Granlund, Koivu, Coyle, Haula (Have Pominville waive protection)
-Dubnyk

Expose: Backes, Pominville, Quincey, Folin and Olofsson

This allows us to draft Keller, Jost, or Brown at 8OA. It also helps DRASTICALLY with expansion IMO. Assuming they take Backes during expansion and the cap goes up around 75 million, we would have around 19 million the next offseason to sign Nino, Haula, Granlund, Folin, Reilly, and Olofsson plus singing whatever UFA's we want.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Trading Scandella and Spurgeon is not a good idea, IMO.

If I'm trading 2 defensemen, and I don't want to, but if I was, it would be one of the mid-20's and one of the early-20's, not both of one group.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That works for the cap. Backes takes a hometown discount in salary and years he'll be getting a NMC.

Don't sign Backes and keep Vanek is same hit this year and saves $2.5m in dead money next year, maybe?

Doubt Buf trades Rodrigues, FA signing out of BU (Eichel's buddy from there).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I still think it will be a Wild/EDM trade this week! Maybe multi player also

It better be Dris or 4oa, not much else I want from there. Unless GMCF gets Chia really drunk and wins McDavid in a bet.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Trading Scandella and Spurgeon is not a good idea, IMO.

If I'm trading 2 defensemen, and I don't want to, but if I was, it would be one of the mid-20's and one of the early-20's, not both of one group.

If we trade one for a top center, I think we will be forced to move another one. I would rather our team get a top 10 pick(plus maybe more?) and restock for the future, than have one of them play for one more year and then get taken in expansion and not get any return on our asset.

Let's play out scenarios...

Trade Scandella and Brodin

Suter-Spurgeon
4D-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Trade Scandella and Dumba

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-4D
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Brodin

Suter-2D
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Dumba

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-4D
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Scandella
Suter-Brodin
4D-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Thoughts?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If we trade one for a top center, I think we will be forced to move another one. I would rather our team get a top 10 pick(plus maybe more?) and restock for the future, than have one of them play for one more year and then get taken in expansion and not get any return on our asset.

Let's play out scenarios...

Trade Scandella and Brodin

Suter-Spurgeon
4D-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Trade Scandella and Dumba

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-4D
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Brodin

Suter-2D
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Dumba

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-4D
Reilly-Folin

Trade Spurgeon and Scandella
Suter-Brodin
4D-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Thoughts?

Might as well go with Scandella and Brodin. Let Suter play 45 mins, Reilly get's the other 15.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
^ sounds like too much to give up, for not enough return. Maybe take out the 15 oa, wouldn't wanna give that up

Agreed. Awful for the Wild. People got to understand that a draft pick is no guarantee of a player, let alone a good player, and even then you have to wait years for them to develop.

Trading both Spurgeon and Scandella is ridiculous.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I would deal Scandella and Spurgeon to maximize their value and sign a stop gap like Quincey or Hamhuis. That way we can get RNH and a top 6 LW/RW. It works the best for protecting guys for the expansion draft and keeps us in line to win next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad