Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
On the Arizona board we are talking about your surplus D. What would the Coyotes need to add to the 7th pick to get
Spurgeon?
Brodin?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
On the Arizona board we are talking about your surplus D. What would the Coyotes need to add to the 7th pick to get
Spurgeon?
Brodin?

I think a top prospect other than Strome or Dvorak.

Brodin for Keller or Jost and Fischer (have to try and pry Perlini as well). Reilly takes Brodin's spot. Frees up $4MM in cap space. A little painful to be sure, but this is the kind of move Fletch needs to make.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Spurgeon for the #4 pick. What say you?

If we're trading Spurgeon I would like us to be getting someone who is NHL ready back. I think Spurgeon is one of the most underrated defensemen in the game. His ability to separate people from the puck is incredible and he is just so dependable in both zones.

That being said, if the Wild management see someone like PLB, Tkachuk, or Nylander being a franchise forward maybe it's the right move? Call it a nitpicky stat, but the Wild and the Flyers were the only playoff teams without a top 4 pick on their respective rosters.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think a top prospect other than Strome or Dvorak.

Brodin for Keller or Jost and Fischer (have to try and pry Perlini as well). Reilly takes Brodin's spot. Frees up $4MM in cap space. A little painful to be sure, but this is the kind of move Fletch needs to make.

Doubt Fischer is available. Definitely think Perlini or Merkley or Samuelsson are available.

7th plus Perlini plus a 2nd for Brodin?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If we're trading Spurgeon I would like us to be getting someone who is NHL ready back. I think Spurgeon is one of the most underrated defensemen in the game. His ability to separate people from the puck is incredible and he is just so dependable in both zones.

That being said, if the Wild management see someone like PLB, Tkachuk, or Nylander being a franchise forward maybe it's the right move? Call it a nitpicky stat, but the Wild and the Flyers were the only playoff teams without a top 4 pick on their respective rosters.

The Wings? The Ducks?

But yeah the number doesn't matter so much...Johansen at 4 was great value...Nino at 5 was decent...Granlund at 9 was decent... Tarasenko at 16...well no one feels bad for the Blues..so they got Pietrangelo at 4..their success right now has to do with teams missing on great young players like Fabbri and Parayko.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Doubt Fischer is available. Definitely think Perlini or Merkley or Samuelsson are available.

I'd imagine Fletch has to consider something like that but it is selling somewhat low on a special player. We all love the pedigree, but Perlini might be damaged goods and the Wild are definitely watching Niagara due to Pavel Jenys.

It all depends how much they like Keller/Jost I'd imagine. The Wild are kind of hamstrung to compete now, so compromising that "plan" for the upgrade from, say, Bellows/Kunin to Keller/Jost may not be worth it.

Reilly/Folin/Olofsson in Iowa next season is far from the worst-case scenario here.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
The Wings? The Ducks?

But yeah the number doesn't matter so much...Johansen at 4 was great value...Nino at 5 was decent...Granlund at 9 was decent... Tarasenko at 16...well no one feels bad for the Blues..so they got Pietrangelo at 4..their success right now has to do with teams missing on great young players like Fabbri and Parayko.

It's weird that we pushed Granlund so hard to be center when he primarily played wing in Finland.

Armstrong and his scouting staff have been crazy good at drafting. They only scouted Parayko when he was playing in overseas tournaments and didn't scout him in North America because they wanted to keep him a secret. He wasn't even on the Central Scouting final rankings list in his draft year...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not too enthralled with the #4. I'd take Keller there, but I think Spurgeon is too high of a price to pay.

Keller Man crush?

Literally no one is talking about Keller at #4. Dubois is a skilled , big body, that would be ready sooner that Keller, and plays some C, also.

I'm not saying trading Spurgeon is a good idea, but it's an idea. I think he had an excellent year, and is near reaching the height of his value, so we have to at least consider trading him.

Brodin for a 7th? Would have to consider it. If only one of the first six teams pick a Dman, then one of Marner, Dubois, Tkachuk would be there.

IMO, we would do just as well to trade into a 10-12 spot, where there is still a good chance to get a Jost/Keller. Some teams will have to be looking at Dmen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Gotta think about this. I love Brodin, but we gotta get talent up front. I think this is a trade that would help both teams, but it wouldn't be an instant grat move. Would start paying benefits two years down the road.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd imagine Fletch has to consider something like that but it is selling somewhat low on a special player. We all love the pedigree, but Perlini might be damaged goods and the Wild are definitely watching Niagara due to Pavel Jenys.

It all depends how much they like Keller/Jost I'd imagine. The Wild are kind of hamstrung to compete now, so compromising that "plan" for the upgrade from, say, Bellows/Kunin to Keller/Jost may not be worth it.

Reilly/Folin/Olofsson in Iowa next season is far from the worst-case scenario here.

Confused about your post. We would still have our 15th in addition to a seventh, right? We aren't sending out 15th AND Brodin for a 7th and stuff?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Good idea, but just cannot see a struggling team trade one of their best players to their main competition in the division.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Confused about your post. We would still have our 15th in addition to a seventh, right? We aren't sending out 15th AND Brodin for a 7th and stuff?

I'd hope not. The question is whether the upgrade from Kunin to Keller (for example) is worth Brodin, or would the Wild just be happy to pick at 15 and keep the team as it mostly is. Guessing it's the latter, unless some team really sweetens the pot with a good prospect or another asset.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

From my (Coyote) point of view, that is correct. I was not asking/proposing to get your pick in return. The Coyotes need a top 4 dman.

Not overly familiar with Minnesota. Looking at the Hero Charts I may have offered too much for Brodin? Figured it was more likely to land Brodin than Spurgeon though?

From the Coyotes, I think a combination of their 1st, the Rangers 1st, their compensatory 2nd (Bleackley re-entering draft), Perlini, either Samuelsson, and Merkely could be available for an instant upgrade on D.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Keller Man crush?

Literally no one is talking about Keller at #4. Dubois is a skilled , big body, that would be ready sooner that Keller, and plays some C, also.

I'm not saying trading Spurgeon is a good idea, but it's an idea. I think he had an excellent year, and is near reaching the height of his value, so we have to at least consider trading him.

Brodin for a 7th? Would have to consider it. If only one of the first six teams pick a Dman, then one of Marner, Dubois, Tkachuk would be there.

IMO, we would do just as well to trade into a 10-12 spot, where there is still a good chance to get a Jost/Keller. Some teams will have to be looking at Dmen.

Yup.

Nobody is talking about Keller at #4 because he's 5'10". I couldn't care less about height.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Good idea, but just cannot see a struggling team trade one of their best players to their main competition in the division.

The divisional aspect does have my perplexed by it. But if he was a candidate for someone like Dumba +, I would be curious. He would be a great fit with a Parise/Coyle line.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I would do Brodin+15 for ARZ 7+Rangers 1st+2nd. Seems fair for both squads. Would rather deal Scandella but dealing Brodin gets more value and allows us to play Scandella and Spurgeon together (hopefully).

Keller @ 7 then Dumba+Rangers 1st for RNH or EDM #4 (whichever they prefer) and take best D available in 2nd rd.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So, the Wild are going to trade a defenseman who is currently helping the team for a guy or two who will might make an impact when Suter, Parise, and Koivu are in their late 30s?

And that sounds like a recipe for success how?

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So, the Wild are going to trade a defenseman who is currently helping the team for a guy or two who will might make an impact when Suter, Parise, and Koivu are in their late 30s?

Cupboards are bare and this would allow them to restock the cupboards with potentially elite talent that matches right in with Tuch, JEE, Greenway, Kaprizov and Belpedio while simultaneously keeping us competitive by bringing in RNH and freeing some cap space to find those other pieces.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

It's not the Minnesota PariSuter's. It's the MN Wild. The Wild, like all successful organizations, have to look to the future, as well as maintain the present. The idea would be to get the Parise of the future, but not have to pay 100M for him in FA(i.e. Stamkos).

It's not a risk free option.

MattMcGloin

Apr 18, 2016
Canada

And the fact that an expansion draft is likely coming so if we can get something for someone we could potentially lose for nothing sounds great to me

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup.

Nobody is talking about Keller at #4 because he's 5'10". I couldn't care less about height.

Height is nice for reach and leverage...grew up watching Beliveau and Espo...the things they could do with that reach...but my worry about keller is his physique. Is he a slight build, or more of a wrestlers build like Domi? I would say slight. The NHL can be tough on players like that.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Cupboards are bare and this would allow them to restock the cupboards with potentially elite talent that matches right in with Tuch, JEE, Greenway, Kaprizov and Belpedio while simultaneously keeping us competitive by bringing in RNH and freeing some cap space to find those other pieces.
First question is whether the Wild should focus their attention on restocking 18 year olds in the system.

Second is whether the best method to do that is by trading 22 year olds.

Answer to both those questions is no.

And even if we were to add 18 year olds, you do that through trading away guys past their prime not before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00