Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
after seeing Dumba tonight and seeing how inconsistent he is at times id be nervous having him in the top 4 all the time. Now that Johansen is gone I say hold firm RNH doesnt excite me much, unless the deal is to go to pass up or you can get Pominville off the books hold on to your Top 4 D men right now until Summer

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
after seeing Dumba tonight and seeing how inconsistent he is at times id be nervous having him in the top 4 all the time. Now that Johansen is gone I say hold firm RNH doesnt excite me much, unless the deal is to go to pass up or you can get Pominville off the books hold on to your Top 4 D men right now until Summer
It also shows how...

A. Dumba wouldn't have gotten us far in the Ryjo sweepstakes.
B. Giving up Brodin or someone else better on defense to get Ryjo would have been a brutal mistake.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
It also shows how...

A. Dumba wouldn't have gotten us far in the Ryjo sweepstakes.
B. Giving up Brodin or someone else better on defense to get Ryjo would have been a brutal mistake.

This year yes, long run I dont think so IMO

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I just don't see Minnesota doing much because we don't have a lot to work with. Last year would have been a great time to shake up the front office (not Fletcher but his scouts and his development team). One year too late and it's going to cost this team some players to trade. I just don't see us making a trade because we don't have really any flash prospects except our first rounders.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Would have been great to finish in Detroit's spot in that 2014 draft and draft Larkin instead of Tuch.

Although, we won't know what we have in Tuch for a couple more years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't see how the Wild can put Dumba in the top-4 in the next few seasons and expect to contend in the playoffs. The margin for error is just too tight. Will be eventually be able to handle that role? Probably. But I'm not wasting 1 or 2 playoffs runs to find out.

Because our blueline has been a shell of itself all year, and the primary reason is that we no longer have a stable top-4 of Suter-Brodin and Scandella-Spurgeon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't see how you can project years into the future with Dumba.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I would say the blueline has been unstable and shaky at times, but not a shell of itself this year. Handful of bad individual performances aren't dragging down the unit as a whole, IMO. Dubnyk has respectable numbers but I'm of the belief that he hasn't been standing on his head enough to warrant giving all the credit to him alone and not some of it to the D in front of him.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would say the blueline has been unstable and shaky at times, but not a shell of itself this year. Handful of bad individual performances aren't dragging down the unit as a whole, IMO. Dubnyk has respectable numbers but I'm of the belief that he hasn't been standing on his head enough to warrant giving all the credit to him alone and not some of it to the D in front of him.
Our top-4 was probably the best in the NHL in the second half of last year. They made few mistakes and all four were quality puck-movers.

Now, our entire blueline outside of Spurgeon looks pretty average.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Suter and Scandella are not average. Brodin, even with not 100% great play, can be argued to be above average. Look at the goals against recently:

4 (OT), 2, 2, 2 (SOL), 1, 1, 3, 1, 6 (2 ENG), 3, 2, 2, 0, 2 (OT), 2 (OT), 0 0, 1.

If I did my calculator right I think that's 1.88 GAA in the last 18 games. The defense has been fine, and much better recently than they were at the start of the year.

Edit: And think about this - without the 2 ENG against Dallas (didn't think to look if there were other ones, I forgot) and the OT goals, GAA is 1.61.

Edit 2: I guess what I'm trying to say is the D had a big part in those GA - Dubnyk and/or Kuemper didn't really steal all of those games.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the Oilers would be interested in Kuemper. He might be the chip that finalizes a deal for RNH done. He just needs to get healthy again.

Would also be nice if Dumba got some PP time so he could bring up is offensive numbers. Much rather trade him than Brodin.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Suter and Scandella are not average. Brodin, even with not 100% great play, can be argued to be above average. Look at the goals against recently:

4 (OT), 2, 2, 2 (SOL), 1, 1, 3, 1, 6 (2 ENG), 3, 2, 2, 0, 2 (OT), 2 (OT), 0 0, 1.

If I did my calculator right I think that's 1.88 GAA in the last 18 games. The defense has been fine, and much better recently than they were at the start of the year.

Edit: And think about this - without the 2 ENG against Dallas (didn't think to look if there were other ones, I forgot) and the OT goals, GAA is 1.61.

Edit 2: I guess what I'm trying to say is the D had a big part in those GA - Dubnyk and/or Kuemper didn't really steal all of those games.
This is symatics. I said "looks pretty average". Not that they are actually average. And this is entirely besides the point.

The point is our blueline is not at its best, and it's best is with Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, and Brodin being in the top-4 and playing heavy minutes, with Dumba and whoever getting limited minutes.

Before the season, I was hoping for a rotation with Dumba and Folin similar to what Yeo has actually done, but I would reverse course on that.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Regardless, I think Dumba, Kuemper, and Tuch gets the Oilers listening to an RNH trade. Those are three players they could really use. They might want Brodin, but he's somewhat redundant with Klefbom and Sekera, and Nurse won't put up the offensive numbers that he did in juniors.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Oilers also need to sell a RNH trade to the fanbase, who wants a potential #1 Dman, but one of those isn't available with Jones gone.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Regardless, I think Dumba, Kuemper, and Tuch gets the Oilers listening to an RNH trade. Those are three players they could really use. They might want Brodin, but he's somewhat redundant with Klefbom and Sekera, and Nurse won't put up the offensive numbers that he did in juniors.

I am listening to this...

Who would we have back-up? Backstrom?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
You'd only need him for this year and they can go out next season and pick up a FA for the cheap to play the 10-15 games they'll probably have them play.

1.) Are you saying yes to Backstrom for this season?

If so, I have a hard time with this knowing that Dub is one tweak away from Backstrom being our starter with LeLand Irving as the back-up...

2.) If we are going to sign an FA goalie to back-up next year (which I agree, we will/should,) why not try and find him now and let him finish this season and play into next (and so on)?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I'm sick of Johansen talk here but
Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Friday morning.

On Ryan Johansen:

“This is what I think was going on with Johansen after making a bunch of calls yesterday. I think there were a lot of teams who wanted to get him. I think Minnesota was there. I think Colorado was there. I think Vancouver… Vancouver was never really in it, but they were there. And I think you guys were there. I think you guys were making calls. I can’t say 100 percent sure St. Louis was there, but I think they were.

“But to me, it became almost a game of chicken. I think Columbus sat there and said, ‘Are we going to be able to pry Seth Jones out of Nashville. Let’s wait and take the chance that we can.’

“That’s what I think went on here. I think there were other teams who really pushed to get… Ryan Johansen out of Columbus, and the Blue Jackets sat there and said, ‘We’ve got time. Let’s wait to see if Seth Jones ever becomes available.’

“I think other teams took a big run at trying to get him, and Columbus was like, ‘Nope. We’re going to wait.’

“That’s what I think really happened here. Once David Poile changed his mind, the eal got done.â€

Source: Sportsnet 960/ Transcript: Nichols

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

EDM has young forwards and questionable goalies up the wazoo. They have zero interest in anything but a legit top 4 Dman.

Here's one trade I WOULD do (fasten your seatbelts).

Spurgeon + Nino/Dumba/Granlund for Draisaitl. We would probably have to take back some underperforming, overpaid Dman. EDM has no cap worries, but...

Rationale? Spurgeon's value is at it's highest ever, due to his stellar play and his new contract. Add to that he is an EDM boy. Nino's value is obvious. Dumba has less value, but EDM is desparate for Dmen. He is also a RH Dman, which has more value. I would prefer to send Granlund. One less guy to sign up.

I know, heavy, heavy price. Suter will pout. We will not be as good in the present.

I would do this trade based on these lines of reasoning, both of which may be faulty;

1- the Wild, as they are presently constucted, are not a SC winning team. They are a good team, but not a winning team.

2- Draisaitl is that good. Huge, just scratching the surface. RNH does nothing for me. This guy does. I think he will be a #1 elite C. On top of that, he will be cost controlled for a long time, while we are sending a significant amount of salary the other way, making it easier for us to resign our other young guys. By the time we have to pay him the $$ he deserves, Poms, Koivu, and Vanek will be all off the payroll.

The only reason that EDM might do this is because they are desparate for Dmen, and they have MacDavid as a #1.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm sick of Johansen talk here but
Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Friday morning.

On Ryan Johansen:

“This is what I think was going on with Johansen after making a bunch of calls yesterday. I think there were a lot of teams who wanted to get him. I think Minnesota was there. I think Colorado was there. I think Vancouver… Vancouver was never really in it, but they were there. And I think you guys were there. I think you guys were making calls. I can’t say 100 percent sure St. Louis was there, but I think they were.

“But to me, it became almost a game of chicken. I think Columbus sat there and said, ‘Are we going to be able to pry Seth Jones out of Nashville. Let’s wait and take the chance that we can.’

“That’s what I think went on here. I think there were other teams who really pushed to get… Ryan Johansen out of Columbus, and the Blue Jackets sat there and said, ‘We’ve got time. Let’s wait to see if Seth Jones ever becomes available.’

“I think other teams took a big run at trying to get him, and Columbus was like, ‘Nope. We’re going to wait.’

“That’s what I think really happened here. Once David Poile changed his mind, the deal got done.â€

Source: Sportsnet 960/ Transcript: Nichols
That actually sounds pretty realistic. Jones, Brodin, Trouba. Those are kind of the only very young Dmen with top pairing ability that might available for trade this season. Jones is the one with the highest upside. Columbus knew what they wanted, and they went after him.

Where the Oilers did not. Or could not.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I was also somewhat serious about getting the Islanders involve with Hamonic - a Dman that is much more in line with the Oilers and their fans are hoping to get out of a RNH trade. The thing is, the Islanders want a high end Dman coming back, which is why it might make sense to send Dumba to the Island instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad