Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
RNH is playing for a dreadful team!! Put him on a good team with structure

Edmonton is far from dreadful. They just have rubbish D.

Watched 2 games just now. Lots of offense combined with lots of high danger scoring chances for the opponents. Hawaii hockey at its best.

RHN is overrated. He is better than Granlund for sure, but not massively better. Slightly bigger, slightly slower. Worse passer, better puck control. I dont think we should try to go after him, since it is a marginal upgrage. 6 mil contract too. Suprisingly bad shot

Draisaitl is a freaking beast. Cant skate much, but that is one scary dude. Carried a dallas D from the sideboards to the net on his forearm. Cant be moved from goalfront without a bulldozer. Slow, bit clumsy and cheats on D. Fantastic potential.

Yak is a straight up bust. Probably would compete with Fontaine on the 3rd line, maybe lose him. Injury depth in wild (opinion).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nugent Hopkins has also had 3 seasons of 50 plus points and Granlund has zero, Granlund Career high 8 goals, RNH 24

When comparing young players who have yet to reach their full potential, I personally find it more informative to look at their current stats rather than past stats. Players have different developmental curves early on in their careers. Granlund had to adjust to NA ice and a completely different style of play. He has improved year in and year out, both offensively and defensively, and if he stays healthy he should have his best year this year, which is what you want. RNH seems to have plateaued offensively so far, despite Edmonton adding more talent year in and year out.

At this point it's not a reach to say they're on the same level.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yak is a straight up bust.

I did enjoy looking at his current stats and cold streak only to remember the threads at the beginning of the season proclaiming him not a bust and having finally figured it out. Now he has 2 points in his last 11 games and hasn't scored a goal since October 18th (16 games). Definitely not living up to that 40g hype.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I did enjoy looking at his current stats and cold streak only to remember the threads at the beginning of the season proclaiming him not a bust and having finally figured it out. Now he has 2 points in his last 11 games and hasn't scored a goal since October 18th (16 games). Definitely not living up to that 40g hype.

He'll be completely dependent on McDavid for his entire career there.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He'll be completely dependent on McDavid for his entire career there.

Which means he better be hoping he never leaves Edmonton. Otherwise he might find himself back in Russia real quick.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Think you guys will get a kick out of this:

GP
RNH: 27
Granlund: 26

Goals
RNH: 6
Granlund: 3

Assists
RNH: 12
Granlund: 14

+/-
RNH: -4
Granlund: +4

Faceoffs
RNH: 44.2%
Granlund: 48.8%

Granlund receives more PP time and RNH receives more PK time.

p/60 all situations
RNH: 1.83
Granlund: 2.03

p/60 5-on-5
RNH: 1.17
Granlund: 1.78

Also found out that Granlund is getting points at a slightly faster rate 5-on-5 compared to Koivu and all 9 of Granlund's 5-on-5 assists are primary assists while Koivu has 4 primary out of 11 while 5-on-5.

He's having a pretty good year, despite the complaints he was receiving earlier. Currently on pace for 54 points, but if he stays healthy, I could see him hitting 60 points this year. He's also shooting more, so I could see him getting 10-15 goals if he picks up production.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's having a pretty good year, despite the complaints he was receiving earlier. Currently on pace for 54 points, but if he stays healthy, I could see him hitting 60 points this year. He's also shooting more, so I could see him getting 10-15 goals if he picks up production.

I agree, which is about what we expected when you take into account the decreased scoring rate since he was drafted.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now, I like Krejci, but he is a 29-year-old guy suffering hip problems who makes 7.25MM until 2021.

And his value will be inflated because of his terrific start this year. I could see a team like NSH taking a run at him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The team misses brodz big time

Disagree. Brodz was painfully slow. Our fourth line is doing just fine... after a rough first couple of games, I think they've been really good. Haula has improved his FO's, too.

It's not like Brodz is tearing it up in STL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
krecji?! yuck. And i dont miss brodziak at all. lol brodin would be missed, but i dont believe as much as many think. not saying hes a bad player. but we still have a fairly strong pipeline of dmen that within a year or two MAY be able to replace him completely

Pipeline? What do you mean by that? Reilly has yet to prove he can play D at the AHL level. Folin is a borderline NHL'er. Dumba is defensively challenged. Olofsson is an unknown.

What are we going to do in the next year or so if we move Brodin now? Besides let in goals? Suter is already playing WAY too much( which WILLcome back and bite us)... Do we play him over 30 minutes a game? Prosser for 15?:shakehead

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Disagree. Brodz was painfully slow. Our fourth line is doing just fine... after a rough first couple of games, I think they've been really good. Haula has improved his FO's, too.

It's not like Brodz is tearing it up in STL.

St Louis went from #7 to #2 PK, we went from #1 to #26. Not saying that's all from Brodz but a good chunk of it is, considering he's the #1 forward in SH TOI/game on St. Louis, and was the #2 Skater in terms of SH TOI/game for the Wild last season (only Scandy had more).

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
St Louis went from #7 to #2 PK, we went from #1 to #26. Not saying that's all from Brodz but a good chunk of it is, considering he's the #1 forward in SH TOI/game on St. Louis, and was the #2 Skater in terms of SH TOI/game for the Wild last season (only Scandy had more).

Come back, Brodzy. Realistically, I could see him re-joining this team next year.

Can't think there's many hard feelings between each other. I'd be happy to give him $900K a year to play 4th line center and PK duties.

Absolutely loved that he got his OT celebration with Nino painted:

CG1e0uXVAAE9rwW.jpg

Last edited:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Pipeline? What do you mean by that? Reilly has yet to prove he can play D at the AHL level. Folin is a borderline NHL'er. Dumba is defensively challenged. Olofsson is an unknown.

What are we going to do in the next year or so if we move Brodin now? Besides let in goals? Suter is already playing WAY too much( which WILLcome back and bite us)... Do we play him over 30 minutes a game? Prosser for 15?:shakehead

1) Folin is still young and improving 2) Dumba has been in a walking boot half the season and playing better the past few games 3) olofsson is supposed to be a brodin replica 4) we have lots of defensive prospects in the pool that have yet to sign entry level deals 5) you can always sign a player for a year or two. Our defense other than suter is still pretty young.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

What's Allens save percentage on the PK?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I'm digging into this, but noticed Kuemper has a .938 SV% on the PK (16 SA, 1 GA).

Allen's SV% is ridiculous though, .925 SV% on the PK is definitely contributing to that (93 SA, 7 GA).

Dubnyk near the bottom w/ a .831 SV% (83 SA, 14 G).

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Allen: .925 this year (21 GP), was .882 last year (37 GP).
Elliot: .846 this year (11 GP), was .881 last year (46 GP).
Also Brodeur played 7 games last year with a PKSV% of .783

Averaging out the PK shots/saves for the two years
Blues SV% last year: .875
Blues SV% this year: .901

They have allowed 104 shots in 142 minutes of PK time this season ( .73 shots/minute)
Last season they allowed 308 shots in 419 minutes of PK time ( .74 shots/minute)

For the Wild
PK SV% last year: .898
PK SV% this year: .848

The Wild has allowed 98 shots in 100 minutes of PK time this year (.98 shots/minute)
Last year they allowed 282 shots in 376 minutes of PK time (.75 shots/minute)

So the blues are allowing the same number of shots this season while having a higher SV%. That could be due to Allen having a better year, it could be due to the PK forcing low-% shots and not allowing second chances, it could be many things.

The Wild are allowing more shots this year and have a lower SV%.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The more I think about it, the more I want to keep and re-sign Spurgeon. This assumes that we can get him on a long term deal for less than 5M per. If Olofsson or Reilly or Folin or Dumba take a leap forward in the coming years, can be legit top 4's and need to be paid, we can always move that contract. He will still be relatively young for a Dman.

I was worried about him not lasting in the league a couple of years ago, but he seems to have figured out how to weather the rough stuff in the NHL, so I 'm not worried about longevity with him.

I DO think we have to worry about an offer sheet with him. There simply aren't many top 4 Dmen out there in their mid 20's available for those in need of one ( or more). Some teams would rather overpay a bit and lose a couple of draft picks ( that will probably take three years to be ready for the NHL, if ever) than pay the going rate in trade.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I DO think we have to worry about an offer sheet with him. There simply aren't many top 4 Dmen out there in their mid 20's available for those in need of one ( or more). Some teams would rather overpay a bit and lose a couple of draft picks ( that will probably take three years to be ready for the NHL, if ever) than pay the going rate in trade.

Here's to hoping we never get to that point and we get a reasonable deal before the season ends

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
[B]]Edmonton is far from dreadful[/B]. They just have rubbish D.

Watched 2 games just now. Lots of offense combined with lots of high danger scoring chances for the opponents. Hawaii hockey at its best.

RHN is overrated. He is better than Granlund for sure, but not massively better. Slightly bigger, slightly slower. Worse passer, better puck control. I dont think we should try to go after him, since it is a marginal upgrage. 6 mil contract too. Suprisingly bad shot

Draisaitl is a freaking beast. Cant skate much, but that is one scary dude. Carried a dallas D from the sideboards to the net on his forearm. Cant be moved from goalfront without a bulldozer. Slow, bit clumsy and cheats on D. Fantastic potential.

Yak is a straight up bust. Probably would compete with Fontaine on the 3rd line, maybe lose him. Injury depth in wild (opinion).[/QUOTE]

Last in the league in points! not sure what dreadful means in your vocabulary

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick would be nice compensation, but I definitely agree that they should keep Spurgeon around.

I think they need to get Spurgeon a contract soon though, like they did with Scandella. Would hate for him to put up 40-50 points and want something like $6 million at the end of the year.

Does the $74.5 million salary cap projection work with us? Feel like we'd be able to fit in everyone if that's what they have to work with.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick would be nice compensation, but I definitely agree that they should keep Spurgeon around.

I think they need to get Spurgeon a contract soon though, like they did with Scandella. Would hate for him to put up 40-50 points and want something like $6 million at the end of the year.

Does the $74.5 million salary cap projection work with us? Feel like we'd be able to fit in everyone if that's what they have to work with.

We would get those picks in the 2017 draft, not the 2016, though. We wouldn't be seeing those players on the Wild till 2020 at the earliest, unless we draft a man child. You'd have to be a pretty secure GM to be fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad