Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
All they need in 3-on-3 is a little more Zucker and Dumba, Fontaine and Spurgeon, a little less Koivu and Suter out there.

Koivu and Suter have actually been our best ones out there. They, as everyone, just need to understand and execute the priorities with 3-on-3. Meaning possession and changes. If you hang on to the puck and change good and early, you're going to win the game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Physical play is WAY less important in 3 on 3, speed more important. All round, but especially defensive play, is also key.

I wonder if Suter was just tired. He was really good, but we are depending on him to score winning goals in 3 on 3's now?

Our forwards have to step up.

I wouldn't mind Haula out there. He doesn't have Granlund hands, but he's fast, good defensively, and can score on a break( or has in the past). Bottom line, I don't think he'd hurt us. Was Brodin out at all?

I would assume that Yeo has had multiple 3 on 3 scrimmages, where he has been able to suss out who are the best personnel for OT.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Physical play is WAY less important in 3 on 3, speed more important. All round, but especially defensive play, is also key.

I wonder if Suter was just tired. He was really good, but we are depending on him to score winning goals in 3 on 3's now?

Our forwards have to step up.

I wouldn't mind Haula out there. He doesn't have Granlund hands, but he's fast, good defensively, and can score on a break( or has in the past). Bottom line, I don't think he'd hurt us. Was Brodin out at all?

I would assume that Yeo has had multiple 3 on 3 scrimmages, where he has been able to suss out who are the best personnel for OT.

He was tired because he was at the end of a shift that lasted too long.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He was tired because he was at the end of a shift that lasted too long.

57 seconds? That is nothing for him when its 5 on 5 or PP. The issue is he skates lazy and you can't do that for 3 on 3. Don't believe me? Watch him take that puck up the ice. He skates to conserve his energy and even he has admitted that. Why was he gassed? Yes because he was tired with how much he was playing and the fact you have to keep moving when its basically pond hockey.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah, I hate it when we retain good players for reasonable money. Wish we'd do less of it.

What players have they retained for reasonable money that isn't considered a bridge deal to see what they do?

Zucker got his when he was injured and was not expected to make the squad full time
Haula got the same short end of the stick
Granlund is on a bridge deal
Nino is essentially on a bridge deal
Kemps was put on a bridge deal

Spurgeon, Coyle and Scandella come to mind on good contracts with reasonable money. Brodin too, but for some reason everyone has pitch forks on him this season already because he isn't scoring at Suter's pace.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What players have they retained for reasonable money that isn't considered a bridge deal to see what they do?

Zucker got his when he was injured and was not expected to make the squad full time

Spurgeon, Coyle and Scandella come to mind on good contracts with reasonable money. Brodin too, but for some reason everyone has pitch forks on him this season already because he isn't scoring at Suter's pace.

You answered your question correctly. And I've never had "pitchforks out" on Brodin.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Think you guys will get a kick out of this:

GP
RNH: 27
Granlund: 26

Goals
RNH: 6
Granlund: 3

Assists
RNH: 12
Granlund: 14

+/-
RNH: -4
Granlund: +4

Faceoffs
RNH: 44.2%
Granlund: 48.8%

Granlund receives more PP time and RNH receives more PK time.

p/60 all situations
RNH: 1.83
Granlund: 2.03

p/60 5-on-5
RNH: 1.17
Granlund: 1.78

Also found out that Granlund is getting points at a slightly faster rate 5-on-5 compared to Koivu and all 9 of Granlund's 5-on-5 assists are primary assists while Koivu has 4 primary out of 11 while 5-on-5.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

pretty sure he was responding to my spurgeon comment :P

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Brodin is a player you undervalue until he isn't on your team anymore and then you realize how important and good he really is. An example to a much lesser extent is Brodziak. Viewed as expendable and a spare part by many...now that he's gone how much are we missing him on the PK, face offs, leadership, etc...

It would be a huge long shot but I gotta figure Florida is going to have to deal one of their 3 young centers soon ( Barkov, Bjugstad, and Trocheck) and they are a team that would likely value an experienced player coming back given how youthful that team is.

Another intriguing trade partner would be Boston. Given Chara's age and having traded away Hamilton in the off-season, they could be very interested in a package around a young defensemen (dumba, Spurgeon) for a guy like Krejci.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Brodin is a player you undervalue until he isn't on your team anymore and then you realize how important and good he really is. An example to a much lesser extent is Brodziak. Viewed as expendable and a spare part by many...now that he's gone how much are we missing him on the PK, face offs, leadership, etc...

It would be a huge long shot but I gotta figure Florida is going to have to deal one of their 3 young centers soon ( Barkov, Bjugstad, and Trocheck) and they are a team that would likely value an experienced player coming back given how youthful that team is.

Another intriguing trade partner would be Boston. Given Chara's age and having traded away Hamilton in the off-season, they could be very interested in a package around a young defensemen (dumba, Spurgeon) for a guy like Krejci.

Now, I like Krejci, but he is a 29-year-old guy suffering hip problems who makes 7.25MM until 2021.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

krecji?! yuck. And i dont miss brodziak at all. lol brodin would be missed, but i dont believe as much as many think. not saying hes a bad player. but we still have a fairly strong pipeline of dmen that within a year or two MAY be able to replace him completely

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
krecji?! yuck. And i dont miss brodziak at all. lol brodin would be missed, but i dont believe as much as many think. not saying hes a bad player. but we still have a fairly strong pipeline of dmen that within a year or two MAY be able to replace him completely

The team misses brodz big time

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

GP

Goals

Assists

+/-

Faceoffs

p/60 all situations

p/60 5-on-5

Also found out that Granlund is getting points at a slightly faster rate 5-on-5 compared to Koivu and all 9 of Granlund's 5-on-5 assists are primary assists while Koivu has 4 primary out of 11 while 5-on-5.

While this is funny, I wonder how RNH's stats would look if he was under Yeo, he's probably be a solid grinder by now :laugh:

In any case this needs to be posted to the trade thread, Maybe we can trade Granlund (Gretzky had a Kurri, McJesus needs MiG) for RNH and a 2nd

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

GP

Goals

Assists

+/-

Faceoffs

p/60 all situations

p/60 5-on-5

Nugent Hopkins has also had 3 seasons of 50 plus points and Granlund has zero, Granlund Career high 8 goals, RNH 24

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
RNH has played the Koivu role as a youngster on garbage teams for three seasons now. He is really a wonderful talent, I have to laugh every time I see his name come up in trade talks on the boards.

That said, the comparison with Granlund should make Wild fans appreciate Granlund more. He has a great contract and a special skill set.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
RNH has played the Koivu role as a youngster on garbage teams for three seasons now. He is really a wonderful talent, I have to laugh every time I see his name come up in trade talks on the boards.

That said, the comparison with Granlund should make Wild fans appreciate Granlund more. He has a great contract and a special skill set.

This. Exactly this.

The main board thread is almost unbearable.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The point is people are looking at RNH as an upgrade on Granlund when he really isn't this year.
I think RNH should be acquired as an addition to Granlund and Koivu. That would give us 3 very solid centers.

Oilers are going to be more interested in obtaining blueliners and forwards with size.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
in what way? penalty kill? easy solution. dont take dumb penalties. he did almost nothing offensively. and we are doing fine in the faceoff circle.

You can't just say, "Don't take Dumb penalties"

Every team in the league takes penalties and plenty of goals will be scored because of it. Brodziak was our best penalty killer and losing him hurts us. Our PK is what league worst? We don't have much center depth and Brodziak was probably our best defensive forward, in terms of positioning, except for maybe Koivu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad