Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
IMO, the Sharks maybe looking to blow it up and start over....wonder if a player like Pavelski might be had for the right price?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Best chance we had was if (big 'if') SJ would've been willing to do Couture for Burns, but I'm not aware if that was ever on the table.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I meant Seguin, as in that type of player/trade. Not a literal trade for him.

Usually it just doesn't make any sense for a team to trade a player like him. Boston was an exception with Seguin, they had center depth and Seguin was a problem with his off-ice lifestyle. You're going to be hard pressed to find a similar deal.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I'm a fan of any more that improves the team now or in the future. If that means swinging a trade for the right guy then so be it. If that means drafting and developing talent, so be it. Yes a trade for a ture #1 center who isn't on the backside of his career is unlikely but that doesn't mean it's not worth looking around. And it's not like we don't have tradeable assets that other teams would want. I've said it before but I think Spurgeon could be had this summer for the right price unless GMCF decides to pay him or he's willing to take a bit of a discount to what he could get in UFA. That said teams looking for defenseman will probably be giving GMCF a call in the offseason.

I think Granlund could be had too in a package for a #1C but I don't think it will happen because we'd be selling low right now.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Usually it just doesn't make any sense for a team to trade a player like him. Boston was an exception with Seguin, they had center depth and Seguin was a problem with his off-ice lifestyle. You're going to be hard pressed to find a similar deal.

Which is why I'm saying that you're not going to be able to find a trade like that anywhere. It's very hard to trade for players that have the potential to be elite centers.

Hence, why they'll most likely build through the draft for center prospects.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Which big trades should we have made? I don't recall any big name centers on the trading block in recent memory. How much would we have had to give up to make a big trade for a center?

Tyler Seguin (I don't even remember if Minnesota even inquired)

Cody Hodgson (he's having a rough season but did score 20 goals a season ago)

Jeff Carter (though I don't know if Columbus would have traded him to the Wild plus Carter moves to wing a lot)

Derek Roy (he was on waivers earlier this season and had 10 goals and 10 assists in 38 games with the Oilers! Not only that? But he has some familiar with Pominville and Vanek)

Mikhail Grabovski (has declined significantly but he did have a decent last season with 13 goals and 22 assists in 58 games)

Mike Riberio (though this could have backfired but he's still doing pretty good)

Olli Jokinen (he's really trailed off but he did put up 43 points last season with the Jets)

That's just off the top of my head of some free agents and some trades. There's probably a few more that I'm forgetting. We need a veteran center and there has been a few on the market. Not elite but guys that would have given the Wild good depth.

Koivu is on pace for 47 points...47.

Coyle is on pace for 37 points...

Granlund is on pace for 37 points...

Brodziak is on pace for 22 points...

5 years ago:

Mikko Koivu had 71 points
Eric Belanger had 35 (in 60 games) (so 48 points total)
Kyle Brdoziak had 32 points

I can't remember our fourth guy since we kept rotating them out. We need more production from our centers, especially with the wingers we've gotten.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

Jeff Carter (though I don't know if Columbus would have traded him to the Wild plus Carter moves to wing a lot)

Derek Roy (he was on waivers earlier this season and had 10 goals and 10 assists in 38 games with the Oilers! Not only that? But he has some familiar with Pominville and Vanek)

Mikhail Grabovski (has declined significantly but he did have a decent last season with 13 goals and 22 assists in 58 games)

Mike Riberio (though this could have backfired but he's still doing pretty good)

Olli Jokinen (he's really trailed off but he did put up 43 points last season with the Jets)

OK. So we have our targets.

For the ones who were traded, what would it have taken to get those guys?

For the free agents, did they want to come here? Did we have the cap space to get them, if they did?

edit: Roy was on pace for 31 points when he was put on waivers. He would have been what, our 4th line center? Maybe 3rd? I thought we were looking for high end centers.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

They're paying for that now.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
If we would go for a C, we should shoot for RNH/Draisatl. Oil will probably yet again draft a center, so they might have RNH or Draisatl available. They traditionally NEED a defender so Spurgeon would make a lot of sense for them. Throw Brodziaks rights and Prosser to them, combined with a pick, that might give us a chance to talk about Draisatl or something. Not saying they would do that, but that would give them a top-pairing D, bottom-pairing cheap D, rights to a local decent 3/4 C and a pick. They really could use some more capable NHL bodies.

I don't know if the Oil is interested about that package for Draisatl though. And I know that RNH would need a lot more than that. Probably something like Granlund+Spurgeon+1st.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think the center thing is being blown out of the proportions.

Parise0.85 - Granlund0.55 - Pominville0.66
Zucker0.48 - Koivu0.58 - Nino0.48
Vanek0.67 - Coyle0.46 - Fountaine0.44

I put the players ppg there. Sure it would be nice if they had scored points more but considering how slow Koivu and Granlund's start was they are right there with the others excluding Parise. The whole top6 would have much better numbers if the pp would be atleast average and it would seem even better.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015

5 years ago:

I can't remember our fourth guy since we kept rotating them out. We need more production from our centers, especially with the wingers we've gotten.

I like how you corrected Eric Belanger's point total for missed games but not Granlund's. Currently Granlund sits at 33pts in 60 games which is pretty close to Belanger's 35 in 60.

On a different note, everyone is talking about taking a C in the first round to help this issue. I was wondering who everyone has in mind. It would be nice if someone dropped but I see us at the tail end of a run on Centers.

Last edited:

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
OK. So we have our targets.

For the ones who were traded, what would it have taken to get those guys?

For the free agents, did they want to come here? Did we have the cap space to get them, if they did?

edit: Roy was on pace for 31 points when he was put on waivers. He would have been what, our 4th line center? Maybe 3rd? I thought we were looking for high end centers.

Hodgson also shouldn't be on a list of guys we should've targeted as he completely collapsed this year. Instead he's more of a guy worth mentioning as a offseason trade target (or free agent signing if the Sabres buy him out) if you think he can turn himself around.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
On side note. I'm happy Wild didn't go after Vermette. Perfect example of a player who gets all the ice time on bad team with no structure. Has 2 points in 10 games for Hawks and reading their board they do not like the fact that they gave 1st for the guy. Fletcher did pretty good with Stewart. Bergenheim probably wasn't necessary due to depth on wing.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
They're paying for that now.

I wouldn't be so sure that things would've ever worked out for Seguin in Boston. They had their reasons for not wanting to keep him. What I would say they're paying for now is not asking for a better package for Seguin.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I wouldn't be so sure that things would've ever worked out for Seguin in Boston. They had their reasons for not wanting to keep him. What I would say they're paying for now is not asking for a better package for Seguin.

Meh I think the team that gets rid of talented player based on personal reasons always lose. Idk why teams don't at least try to work with that player. Like Chicago did with Kane.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
If I remember correctly with Kane, it got so bad with him in Chicago that they had given him an ultimatum and the next step was shipping him out.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If I remember correctly with Kane, it got so bad with him in Chicago that they had given him an ultimatum and the next step was shipping him out.

Kane liked to have a good time....

595x446

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Meh I think the team that gets rid of talented player based on personal reasons always lose. Idk why teams don't at least try to work with that player. Like Chicago did with Kane.

It was quite a while ago, but IIRC, I read an article where a Bruins team representative said they'd tried everything. Either way, they have a lot of character guys in their room and I have a very hard time believing they didn't do their best to get Seguin under control. Sometimes the only thing that gets the player to change their ways is a change of scenery (and sometimes even that doesn't help).

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Sometimes players need that reality check of being kicked out the door.

See Carter and Richards; more Carter now I guess.

Yes and it almost always ends up working for the person who got kicked out. Rather than the people who kicked them out.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

That's just off the top of my head of some free agents and some trades. There's probably a few more that I'm forgetting. We need a veteran center and there has been a few on the market. Not elite but guys that would have given the Wild good depth.

5 years ago:

Wait, so you have been hammering forever that the Wild should have grabbed some kind of top line center via trade or free agency,

But when you do an 8-year look back, for centers that actually would actually be an upgrade, you come with only TWO, Seguin and Carter?

HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fletcher was in on Seguin, but Boston wanted an established winger entering his prime, and a quality forward prospect and Dman prospect. The Wild did not have an established winger to trade at the time.

Wild inquired about Carter I am sure, but they were going to pay a bluechip young player + 1st for a guy who at the time had some character question marks.

Seriously, this is the first season where the Wild have had enough (1) quality roster players, (2) quality young roster players with upside, and (3) quality prospects to actually swing for a 1st line center. If things don't work out this spring, I am sure Fletcher would consider trading Granlund+ for a better, but older, center. But this is the first point where that would be something realistic.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Wait, so you have been hammering forever that the Wild should have grabbed some kind of top line center via trade or free agency,

But when you do an 8-year look back, for centers that actually would actually be an upgrade, you come with only TWO, Seguin and Carter?

HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fletcher was in on Seguin, but Boston wanted an established winger entering his prime, and a quality forward prospect and Dman prospect. The Wild did not have an established winger to trade at the time.

Wild inquired about Carter I am sure, but they were going to pay a bluechip young player + 1st for a guy who at the time had some character question marks.

Seriously, this is the first season where the Wild have had enough (1) quality roster players, (2) quality young roster players with upside, and (3) quality prospects to actually swing for a 1st line center. If things don't work out this spring, I am sure Fletcher would consider trading Granlund+ for a better, but older, center. But this is the first point where that would be something realistic.
Thank you for putting things into perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad