Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
None of us can even pretend to know what Fletcher is thinking in terms of players and where this team is headed. I'm not a fan of seeing either of those players go. But if Fletcher is weighing the pros and cons in whatever facet they, as a front office and coaching staff, who knows who stays and goes in terms of if this is a "win now" or "consistently pressure for 5 years." Fletcher has said time and time again he is extremely distraught about how many picks the Wild have traded away to get players.

If he's looking to replace the latter picks we've traded away, the player getting traded will be someone like Fontaine rather than Zucker or Spurgeon. The latter 2 carry more value and most likely any deal involving them would be mainly about getting a roster player back rather than some late draft picks. We still have our 1st this year, which is the most important thing. Having a 2nd would be nice, but not at the expense of a roster player who we can't directly replace right now.

But you're right about us not knowing what the front office is thinking long-term. I'm not sure if they even know it themselves right now. We should all be smarter after the season's over.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If he's looking to replace the latter picks we've traded away, the player getting traded will be someone like Fontaine rather than Zucker or Spurgeon. The latter 2 carry more value and most likely any deal involving them would be mainly about getting a roster player back rather than some late draft picks. We still have our 1st this year, which is the most important thing. Having a 2nd would be nice, but not at the expense of a roster player who we can't directly replace right now.

But you're right about us not knowing what the front office is thinking long-term. I'm not sure if they even know it themselves right now. We should all be smarter after the season's over.
We still have our 2015 2nd round pick as well... We never traded that one away... the next two years though we don't have a 2nd.

This year we have...

our own 1st
our own 2nd
our own 4th
our own 6th
our own 7th
Canucks 7th via Tampa Bay in our draft day trade last year when the Wild traded down in the 3rd round

Next year we have...

our own 1st
our own 4th
our own 5th
our own 6th
our own 7th
Panther's 7th from the Bergenheim trade

In 2017, we still have all but our 2nd due to the Stewart Trade.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
We still have our 2015 2nd round pick as well... We never traded that one away... the next two years though we don't have a 2nd.

This year we have...

our own 1st
our own 2nd
our own 4th
our own 6th
our own 7th
Canucks 7th via Tampa Bay in our draft day trade last year when the Wild traded down in the 3rd round

We do? That's great, I thought we'd lost it in the Moulson trade. Then there's even less sense to try to trade someone like Zucker or Spurgeon to stock up on draft picks this summer. If we're in a bad shape come next trade deadline, then consider trading away roster players with no direct replacements for picks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We do? That's great, I thought we'd lost it in the Moulson trade. Then there's even less sense to try to trade someone like Zucker or Spurgeon to stock up on draft picks this summer.

The Moulson trade was last year's 2nd and next year's 2nd.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I don't see the value in trading Fontaine. He's an excellent bottom 6 guy who seems to rarely get injured and is cheap. Plus, at most he would get us what, a third, maybe? Who cares.

He has much greater value to us.

Unless he is in a package deal which would bring us a young 1c, which is highly unlikely.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't see the value in trading Fontaine. He's an excellent bottom 6 guy who seems to rarely get injured and is cheap. Plus, at most he would get us what, a third, maybe? Who cares.

Unless he is in a package deal which would bring us a young 1c, which is highly unlikely.

A 3rd is probably a good estimate for his value. Fontaine's not above replacement level though. I don't care about a 3rd either but if Fletcher does, getting one by trading Fontaine doesn't seem all that unlikely.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Fontaine is closer to being a ufa than Schroeder, we have Lucia and Tuch that are also two years away...Fontaine won't be here long term.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Fontaine is closer to being a ufa than Schroeder, we have Lucia and Tuch that are also two years away...Fontaine won't be here long term.

I think it'll come down to what he wants. If he wants more than probably ~2.25 he's gone.

I like Schroeder, but I actually prefer Fontaine. I think he's a little more physical, in a successful way, while still being pretty fast and very smart.

I agree he is expendable however.

It'll be interesting to see what we ice next year one way or the other.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Wait until what? Lucia and Tuch will need to go the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the Zucker approach with Lucia and Tuch will need at least a season in the AHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fontaine has to be preferred over Schroeder. It's a body of work thing. I've never been that high on Fontaine compared, say, to someone like Haula, as I think Haula has more upside, but Fontaine's production these past two years in limited roles is hard to ignore.

I think he's replaceable, but I'm sure Yeo loves having him around, as he is one of those guys who just makes the right plays on the ice at the right time. If he played a bit bigger, or was faster, or could play C, he would be a definite keeper.

What is he now, 26? He is in his prime now. He is unlikely to get much better, unlike the "young guns", namely Nino, Coyle, granny, Haula( fingers crossed there), Dumba,etc.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fontaine is 27. He is what he is at this point. A versatile role player who can fit in a variety of positions and not look out of place.

The problem is, he will be a ufa in a year...his price well go up, and with our cap, we'll have to let him go. Schroeder is younger and cheaper and is capable of replacing Fontaine already. Sure, Fontaine is slightly better at the moment, but the reality is we can afford Schroeder longer. That makes Fontaine trade bait until he's traded or his deal runs out, but he will not likely be re-signed after his last year is up.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Will be interesting to see if Fletcher clears some roster/cap space at the draft this summer. Seems like we have a good opportunity to move some guys and recoup some picks at the same time. They might not be high picks, but they'll be picks nonetheless.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Will be interesting to see if Fletcher clears some roster/cap space at the draft this summer. Seems like we have a good opportunity to move some guys and recoup some picks at the same time. They might not be high picks, but they'll be picks nonetheless.

Id still love to find a way to trade for Draisaitl. If Edmonton drafts in the top two, then they might be willing to let him go and I think we have the pieces to get him. Spurgeon and Tuch might get it done.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know how Draisaitl was used in Edmonton but 2 goals in 37 games this year isn't looking too pretty. Back in the WHL he has 53pts in 32 games though... Be careful with what you are giving up, that's all I have to say.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I don't know how Draisaitl was used in Edmonton but 2 goals in 37 games this year isn't looking too pretty. Back in the WHL he has 53pts in 32 games though... Be careful with what you are giving up, that's all I have to say.

Don't forget he was playing in the age at 18 turning 19. That's pretty amazing. Even if its just 9 points in 37 games, it was Edmonton and they used him fairly sparingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad