Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VI - 2014 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Since we only really have room for one of Niskanen, Stasny, and Vanek, I'd rather sign Stasny.

If and this is a big if, we sign Stastny, you think we would flip one of our centers to save some cap space? I'd rather sign Stastny for 7 million and flip Koivu for prospects and picks.

tomthestone*

If and this is a big if, we sign Stastny, you think we would flip one of our centers to save some cap space? I'd rather sign Stastny for 7 million and flip Koivu for prospects and picks.

I know you know how unrealistic that is, but even if such a move were possible all you'd be doing is hooking the Wild into a $7M center for more years than Koivu has remaining. Stastny puts up a prettier stat line but I doubt you'd want him as the 1C after a series with LA, Chicago or St. Louis.

Then there's the whole part about Koivu being the captain. And having done nothing to play his way off a playoff team. And having a partial no-trade clause. I suppose these EA Sports trade scenarios are good talkers though.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
If Vanek signs for 5 years or less for under $7m per, why not give him a shot? You can always trade or buy out players you don't want down the road. Look at what Glen Sather has done with the Rangers.

I still think they would do well to add a quality defenseman who is a weapon on the point on the PP. Get him in over Suter, who isn't suited for that role. Suter can rack up points handing off to Shea Weber, but we don't have a Shea Weber. Try and find one.

Parise - Granlund - Nino
Vanek - Haula - Pominville
Zucker - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - McCormick

Suter - Niskanen
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon

You might not be wrong, this is just my opinion:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - McCormick - Fontaine

Niskanen - Suter
Brodin - Scandella
Spurgeon - Stoner
Folin - Prosser

Kuemper
Bryzgalov/Curry

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Then there's the whole part about Koivu being the captain. And having done nothing to play his way off a playoff team. And having a partial no-trade clause. I suppose these EA Sports trade scenarios are good talkers though.

Koivu doesn't have a partial no-trade clause, he has full NMC (which by the way would not be voided even if he agreed to be traded). That means you can't trade him anywhere, waive him or send him to the AHL without his permission. He doesn't have to agree to make any kind of a list teams he would agree to get traded to. Pommer is the one with the modified NTC, IIRC.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The only thing surprising with the Russo update is the years for Vanek. I had guessed the Wild wouldn't want to go over five years (and that might have been pushing it), but Russo suggesting 2-3 is quite different.

I have this nagging feeling that if the Wild stand pat, they take a step back. They might still make the playoffs, but you can't pencil them into the second round or better.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I wouldn't offer Vanek anything more than 2-3 years max either. This team can't afford another retirement contract, especially not for a player as one-dimensional as him. Signing him just to buy him out later is bad asset management and I think he's going to want a NTC too.

If he doesn't agree to 2 or 3 years, he can go and take his money from somewhere else. Fletcher should in that case focus on getting a dman, as the trade market for wingers doesn't look that great at the moment. I don't think Fletcher is going to bring in a center at all.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think we'd be fine if we didn't really do anything big this offseason. Just re-sign some guys. I think the kids will all be a bit better next season.

Also, no to a major Vanek contract. Do not want.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You might not be wrong, this is just my opinion:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - McCormick - Fontaine

Niskanen - Suter
Brodin - Scandella
Spurgeon - Stoner
Folin - Prosser

Kuemper
Bryzgalov/Curry
I'll be shocked if we sign Vanek, and Zucker then manages to make the roster too.

Billy Mays Here*

I was wondering if Fletcher would be willing to take on a bad contract that a team needs to get rid of and then use our last compliance buyout on it. Seems like a good way to get an extra draft pick assuming Leo is willing to open his wallet a bit more.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I was wondering if Fletcher would be willing to take on a bad contract that a team needs to get rid of and then use our last compliance buyout on it. Seems like a good way to get an extra draft pick assuming Leo is willing to open his wallet a bit more.

You're allowed to do that under the CBA?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
What do you guys feel about Jared Spurgeon and his offensive production next year? Is he going to be playing 20+ minutes consistently?

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Nothing against being the Finland national team but im not up for Niskanen, given he had a career year. In that sense I think Vanek is more interessting, who definitley decreased his value a bit during 2014 playoffs.

I go back and forth on wanting Vanek here, in general im against it.
However, if the contract is right I wouldnt be mad to give him a try.(+ adding some spice by us having his old team mate Pommer on the team)

Lets keep in mind, Vanek only has 53 playoff games, & 1/3rd of them came this year.
Little speculation here; Maybe he got a better understanding for playoff-hockey and want revenge on his play this year. + He is now 30 y/o, he should get some desperation for a cup, after getting somewhat close this year.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
What do you guys feel about Jared Spurgeon and his offensive production next year? Is he going to be playing 20+ minutes consistently?

Yeah, I suppose so. Scandella and Spurgeon have shown the ability to be good offensively, and neither are slouches in their own zone either. If they play on the 2nd pairing throughout the season, I'm expecting them to play anywhere between 18 and 23 minute per game on average.

As for Spurgeon offense, well, he has a cannon of a shot which is used effectively on the PP. Good, accurate wrister, too, and good hands. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have at least 30-35 points by the end of the season.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Spurgeon's development has seized after 2011-12 season. He has not yet claimed his spot as the offensive defenseman he's supposed to be. I'm hopeful for that break out, but more realistically I'm thinking Scandella and/or Brodin will get there before him. Scandy should get an increase in TOI.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we'd be fine if we didn't really do anything big this offseason. Just re-sign some guys. I think the kids will all be a bit better next season.

Also, no to a major Vanek contract. Do not want.

Three things scare me about Vanek

- his speed,or lack of. Watching Heatley these past couple years was painful. Vanek is faster.... for now. The NHL is turning into a speed league. We can't afford to get slower.

- his weakness as a defensive forward. This is just perception on my part, have no stats to back this up.

- his no show at the Olympics and in the playoffs. Could be just coincidence, but aren't we looking for a player that will help us go further in the PO's?

P10p

May 15, 2012
I'd be fine with Vanek. He has a bad playoffs and still led his team in points? Sounds decent lol, 3 yr deal imo though.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Three things scare me about Vanek

- his speed,or lack of. Watching Heatley these past couple years was painful. Vanek is faster.... for now. The NHL is turning into a speed league. We can't afford to get slower.

- his weakness as a defensive forward. This is just perception on my part, have no stats to back this up.

- his no show at the Olympics and in the playoffs. Could be just coincidence, but aren't we looking for a player that will help us go further in the PO's?

Kings just won the cup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad