Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Donato has been bad this year. He looks weak, isn't fast, gets beaten in one on one battles repeatedly...hasn't been a factor on either end of the rink- or the middle, for that matter. He isn't in the same league as Zucker. On top of that, he plays the position that we are most loaded at, both now, and in the future.

At this point, I would be all in for a trade if we could get anything at all for him, but I don't see it.
So does Zucker, and he makes more money for longer to do it.

When Donato played with good linemates and had some powerplay time he put up points. He'll probably never have the all-around game that Zucker does, but he could grow into a comparable winger given the chance. However, he's not going to do much growing playing 8 min a night with Rask/Foligno/Hartman.

It is a choice between:
a.) selling low on a young, cheap player that's shown an ability to play well in a top-6 role, and
b.) selling relatively high on an established player that's on a fair-but-not-great UFA contract and is likely as good as he's ever going to be

"Weak, slow and easily beaten" was a pretty common assessment of Granlund around 2012-14. Selling low on these guys at the first sign of trouble is dangerous.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund had more talent in his little finger than Donato has...remember, Donato isn't a 20-21 yo. He's almost 24.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Granlund had more talent in his little finger than Donato has...remember, Donato isn't a 20-21 yo. He's almost 24.
I'm just saying that these guys don't always hit the ground running. It's not uncommon for good young players to struggle, especially on a team with a lot of depth at their position.

And I'm not trying to argue against trading Donato full-stop. I think @Wabit was the one that brought up Spooner as a comparable and I do think that's a danger. I'm just saying that writing him off because of his start this year isn't wise.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, he should get till around Christmas, but i just don't see him being effective in the league. Hope I'm wrong. The crazy thing is that Spooner was a much better player than Donato before he was exposed.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I would have thought GMBG would have made a move by now. There has to be teams looking for D or C depth by now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Pateryn's setback has set back any urgency to trade an excess Dman, especially since Seeler is more valuable as a backup than what he will get in trade. You know that an injury is going to happen at some point.

Once Foligno comes back then I could see a trade of Donato, but again, what would he bring back?

To me, you don't trade Fiala, Greenway, Kunin, or especially, Ek, unless you are getting the proverbial overpay. They are young guys who's best years are ahead of them...you don't trade that away lightly.

The things that this team needs are not easily gotten. It's not like a depth player is going to do much for us (unlike, say EDM). We need top line forward talent, and no one gives that away.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Most obvious targets to me are Gusev, Suzuki (MTL), and 2020 1sts.

I think Donato and Zucker are the best bets to be moved.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Most obvious targets to me are Gusev, Suzuki (MTL), and 2020 1sts.

I think Donato and Zucker are the best bets to be moved.
Gusev seems to wearing his welcome out in NJ really quick. Might be a concern. Might be worth the risk with Kaprizov coming soon.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, with the team finally firing on all cylinders - are we going to be buyers at the deadline or are we going to stand pat?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, with the team finally firing on all cylinders - are we going to be buyers at the deadline or are we going to stand pat?
Not particularly sellers but not buyers.

A deal or two could still be made, but I'd bet on them being deals that consider both now and moving forward.

No selling to sell and no rentals.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The team's got enough depth at forward, defense and in goal that I'm not even sure what we'd be buying. At least in terms of rentals.

Id like to us to continue to look into young Cs. All we have to offer Kaprizov right now is two guys in their mid 30s and then JEE who looks like a 3C.

Someone like RNH is what we need. Even if we draft a C in the Top 15 this year, chances are remote they will be impact players in their first 3 seasons. What’s the best C a package of Donato and Zucker would fetch?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Id like to us to continue to look into young Cs. All we have to offer Kaprizov right now is two guys in their mid 30s and then JEE who looks like a 3C.

Someone like RNH is what we need. Even if we draft a C in the Top 15 this year, chances are remote they will be impact players in their first 3 seasons. What’s the best C a package of Donato and Zucker would fetch?
Agreed, though that one almost transcends the current state of the team.

Florida fans on the trade board are floating Trocheck. That would probably never actually happen, but he'd be just the sort of guy to push for.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Florida fans are also tired of Trocheck floating.

I would rather keep my powder dry and trade for picks, or take a chance on a little known prospect, and hope to hit a home run. The best we can trade for with what we are prepared to move is likely a middle six C...we've already got those!

BTW, he doesn't score a lot, but I am LOVING what Ek is doing these days. Plays very, very tough minutes, and seems to have perfected the art of having a punchable face. He and Nino on the same line would be epic.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's fine with me, buddy.
I'm really not trying to be snarky, it just seems like Trocheck is as close to what we'd be looking for as possible. Is there an example of a center you think would do well here?

As a fanbase we seem to get stuck in this weird "We need top-6 centers that don't get AARP mailers.... but not that one" loop that I find perplexing.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'm really not trying to be snarky, it just seems like Trocheck is as close to what we'd be looking for as possible. Is there an example of a center you think would do well here?

As a fanbase we seem to get stuck in this weird "We need top-6 centers that don't get AARP mailers.... but not that one" loop that I find perplexing.
I think on paper the trade would be ok, I just don't see Trocheck succeeding here long term. Trading those guys away for Trocheck I think will ultimately prove to be a trade that doesn't work out. Just one guys thoughts (me). He's 26, that is good.

I'd rather bundle someone else besides JEE. I'd bundle Kunin before I'd bundle JEE.

JEE, as a different matter is one of those guys you want on your team. He's not worth the weight that he would net you a big fish in a trade, but he is one of those guys who I think, whoever has him for the bulk of his career, will be happy they kept him over trading him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think on paper the trade would be ok, I just don't see Trocheck succeeding here long term. Trading those guys away for Trocheck I think will ultimately prove to be a trade that doesn't work out. Just one guys thoughts (me). He's 26, that is good.

I'd rather bundle someone else besides JEE. I'd bundle Kunin before I'd bundle JEE.

JEE, as a different matter is one of those guys you want on your team. He's not worth the weight that he would net you a big fish in a trade, but he is one of those guys who I think, whoever has him for the bulk of his career, will be happy they kept him over trading him.
Fair enough!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Brodin is the base for a Trochek deal, I’d prefer to add Donato. Or maybe make it a bigger deal by doing Brodin+Zucker for Trochek+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad