Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The crap thing about the Wild and all its' players playing terribly? Any possible moves may worsen due to the low value the players hold.

Staal, IMO, even dating back four weeks ago was worth either a good prospect or a good pick. Staal now is worth a bag of pucks. The angle now is if Fenton can convince Staal is nothing more than a product of this crappy team.

Zucker can't score, can't do anything. His stock is low.

I don't really know what can be done with this team.
Everyone wants Fenton to do something NOW to magically fix the team, yet selling anyone other then Spurgeon, Brodin or Foligno would be selling near their all-time low in value. It's going to be a *****fest no matter what Fenton does.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Everyone wants Fenton to do something NOW to magically fix the team, yet selling anyone other then Spurgeon, Brodin or Foligno would be selling near their all-time low in value. It's going to be a *****fest no matter what Fenton does.
I don't disagree, but part of that has to fall on Fenton as well. If all you do is sit and wait? You run the risk of ruining the value of your assets.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I've been wanting him to do this since last summer. The players actually had value then. He was too busy trying to dump Ennis by attaching him to every possible trade to get any type of value for them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't disagree, but part of that has to fall on Fenton as well. If all you do is sit and wait? You run the risk of ruining the value of your assets.
I'm not going to lament moving on from Fletcher because I think it was the right thing to do, but the moves that need to be made probably should've been made last summer and Fletcher was in a better position to do that than a new guy. I get the sense in giving everyone an evaluation period, but taking that time has a price.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not going to lament moving on from Fletcher because I think it was the right thing to do, but the moves that need to be made probably should've been made last summer and Fletcher was in a better position to do that than a new guy. I get the sense in giving everyone an evaluation period, but taking that time has a price.
It was time for Fletcher to be done. He had his chances and couldn't get it done. I don't buy the "evaluate" BS that Fenton was pushing this summer. If you don't already know enough about every team in the league, then you shouldn't be a GM. That's the job, there's no learning it as you go at this level.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Fair enough. I don't think I would have predicted the value of guys like Zucker and Nino to fall as much as they did in half a season though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It was time for Fletcher to be done. He had his chances and couldn't get it done. I don't buy the "evaluate" BS that Fenton was pushing this summer. If you don't already know enough about every team in the league, then you shouldn't be a GM. That's the job, there's no learning it as you go at this level.
Fair point, though it makes it harder for me to be charitable toward the new guy. And I'm trying, dammit.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fair enough. I don't think I would have predicted the value of guys like Zucker and Nino to fall as much as they did in half a season though.
I would agree with that, but the flip side is that I don't think anyone could see guys like Staal, Zucker, and Granlund ever having more value than they had this summer?

Reactions: Wabit

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He could have just watched some tape from the last 5 years, or even just the last 2 years under BB. The core has been together for long enough that there shouldn't be the need for an evaluation period.

JEE, Seeler, Greenway, and maybe Foligno (he was a different player at the end of the season compared to the beginning last year) are the only ones that should have needed any type of real evaluation.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fair point, though it makes it harder for me to be charitable toward the new guy. And I'm trying, dammit.
I don't think Fenton deserves much of the blame for how the team is playing right now, but I don't see a lot to give him credit for either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think Fenton deserves much of the blame for how the team is playing right now, but I don't see a lot to give him credit for either.
I'd agree. As much as I hate the Rask trade people are right to point out that Nino wasn't in a role where he was a major contributor here. Losing him sucks because he's a good player and Rask isn't, but it didn't immediately make the team much worse. The Bitetto thing was awkward, but it's a hiccup in the grand scheme of things. I still think Aberg and Hunt were shrewd pick-ups.

This year going the way it has very much comes down to losing Dumba and Koivu, and having the sort of team that has no way to cope with losing either guy let alone both. That and goaltending. I still don't get the impression that Fenton has a plan to fix that, but he didn't create the problem either.

Reactions: 2Pair

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I would agree with that, but the flip side is that I don't think anyone could see guys like Staal, Zucker, and Granlund ever having more value than they had this summer?
Trading them after monster seasons though would have been harder to justify. Hindsight is easy, but a 30-goal Zucker and supreme playmaker Granlund would make this "retool" a lot simpler. That's why I don't blame Fenton too much for that. Yes, he should know who and what he's dealing with, but it's probably harder to determine the "guys you can win with" from afar unless you had been watching this team every day. I don't know, maybe I'm too easy on him or think the decision was tougher than others. I'm not paid to do that though.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Nino for picks / future would've been fine, but we don't need washed out and slow fringe NHLers. Not now, not in the future. Ok, cap dump with picks / prospects would've been fine.

If there's no trade, no reason to force it. Wild can suck by themselves just fine.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Trading them after monster seasons though would have been harder to justify. Hindsight is easy, but a 30-goal Zucker and supreme playmaker Granlund would make this "retool" a lot simpler. That's why I don't blame Fenton too much for that. Yes, he should know who and what he's dealing with, but it's probably harder to determine the "guys you can win with" from afar unless you had been watching this team every day. I don't know, maybe I'm too easy on him or think the decision was tougher than others. I'm not paid to do that though.
If you can't trade guys after good seasons because they're too valuable, and you can't trade guys after bad seasons because they don't have enough value? Then there's no reason to pay a guy to be GM.

Reactions: Bazeek

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'd agree. As much as I hate the Rask trade people are right to point out that Nino wasn't in a role where he was a major contributor here. Losing him sucks because he's a good player and Rask isn't, but it didn't immediately make the team much worse. The Bitetto thing was awkward, but it's a hiccup in the grand scheme of things. I still think Aberg and Hunt were shrewd pick-ups.

This year going the way it has very much comes down to losing Dumba and Koivu, and having the sort of team that has no way to cope with losing either guy let alone both. That and goaltending. I still don't get the impression that Fenton has a plan to fix that, but he didn't create the problem either.
For me, it's two different conversations really. I'm not a fan of what Fenton has done to this point, and my confidence in him going forward is pretty low. Having said that, the problems with the team this season aren't really because of anything Fenton has done. He took a 100 point team and added a few nice pieces that should've made another 100 point season likely. The fact that it hasn't turned out that way is on the players and coaches. IMO

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If you can't trade guys after good seasons because they're too valuable, and you can't trade guys after bad seasons because they don't have enough value? Then there's no reason to pay a guy to be GM.
It's not that they would be too valuable, but that they would be a valuable piece to a championship winning roster potentially.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not that they would be too valuable, but that they would be a valuable piece to a championship winning roster potentially.
I agree with what you're saying, and I'm not saying any of those guys would've been simple decisions, but that's why GM's get paid. A lot.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Not really that hard to justify if people can count. There are only 6 top-9 wing positions and there were 5 LHS wings (6 if you count Greenway).

Trading Zucker after a spiking career year and looking for a new contract is not a hard sell. Most fans would say it sucks to lose him, but the depth is there to cover it.

Granny with his back-to-back 65p seasons would have been a little harder.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It doesn't matter who you trade, if you win the trade. Improve your team, and nobody gives a shit about what it cost.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I saw a tweet that said the Wild have inquired about both. I was just trying to have an actual conversation about some trades since is so doom and gloom around here.

Those trades will definitely worsen the doom and gloom. Is Fenton actively trying to be worse than this seasons' Kings team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad