Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I thought the Zucker trade was probably the worst for the Wild there. Two AHLers and a gamble that the Canucks will suck next year.

I don't think it's good for either team but it would be beyond shocking to me if any team gave up a 1st for Zucker (or Staal, which I've seen others suggest).

I see no reason to trade Brodin. Great contract, solid player in his role. The suggestion that he's more than a middle-pairing guy is just flat-out delusional though. Teams don't give up their best prospect for that quantity.

Overall, I agree with the thinking: load up on picks, get players/prospects under team control and see if they have more to give.

The Wild have pieces, and even though Parise/Suter may be going nowhere, the effect of having some luck can make the turnaround quick, when this team has to me an exciting group from 2015/16 and potentially 2018 on the way.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Overall, I agree with the thinking: load up on picks, get players/prospects under team control and see if they have more to give.

Is this years draft that deep? I guess my glass half-empty mentality for this is it really worth trading, say Zucker, for 4 picks that are 4th round and greater in the '19 draft if all it'll be is barely even fringe AHL players?

I feel like the Wild have horrible luck outside the first 3 rounds. Haula was 7th round and Hackett/Kemps/Anton were like 7th/6th rounders. That looks to be about it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is this years draft that deep? I guess my glass half-empty mentality for this is it really worth trading, say Zucker, for 4 picks that are 4th round and greater in the '19 draft if all it'll be is barely even fringe AHL players?

I feel like the Wild have horrible luck outside the first 3 rounds. Haula was 7th round and Hackett/Kemps/Anton were like 7th/6th rounders. That looks to be about it.
The problem with Zucker is really the contract vs performance this year. He's making $5.5m for 4 more years so it'd almost have to be some kind of hockey trade instead of just futures coming back. For all the doom-and-gloom about Nino before he went to Carolina, Zucker's been just as bad with more minutes and better linemates, and his contract is even longer.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I don't think it's good for either team but it would be beyond shocking to me if any team gave up a 1st for Zucker (or Staal, which I've seen others suggest).

I see no reason to trade Brodin. Great contract, solid player in his role. The suggestion that he's more than a middle-pairing guy is just flat-out delusional though. Teams don't give up their best prospect for that quantity.

The Wild have pieces, and even though Parise/Suter may be going nowhere, the effect of having some luck can make the turnaround quick, when this team has to me an exciting group from 2015/16 and potentially 2018 on the way.
Zucker isn't a rental and just scored 30 goals last season. I could see it happen. In that trade the idea is that Canucks are thinking they'll be contenders next season and the pick is late one. And they need talent on wing, so effectively switching Goldobin (who isn't an NHLer) for Zucker would be a big improvement for them. Plus Benning is an imbecile. For Wild it's a chance to get rid of a contract they might regret, add 2 warm bodies who might have some utility going forward (especially Gaunce in a bottom 6 role), and have a chance next year to be in the golden situation where Colorado is now. No question Wild gets worse now, but they could hit the jackpot with that pick.

I'd be shocked too if Staal returned a 1st. Koivula is an okay prospect but kind of a long shot. The kind of a prospect that gets dealt at the deadline.

With Brodin, the idea is that Vaakanainen (or possibly Gardiner in the summer if you want to go that route) would replace him. Brodin is a good player but there aren't too many teams around the league who really want a LD with his skillset. Montreal is one. They really need a player like that. Primeau is a good goalie prospect but he's not going have a future in Montreal since they have Price. Poehling is a good prospect too but since they added Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and Domi last summer, I can see them making a trade like that. Overall I think it's a good fit.

I feel like with the trades I came up with, it could be a quick turnaround. Next season would probably be a rough one (of course depending how they use their cap space in the summer - if they manage to sign Gardiner and Stone the team would look pretty good), but then Kaprizov coming in and those added picks and prospects coming to fruition starting in 2020-21, they'd be right back at it. This of course assumes that some the picks/prospects they have pan out nicely.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
There are only so many 1st round picks to go around. Toronto just traded theirs. San Jose doesn't have theirs. St. Louis I believe could be this year or next. Nor does Ottawa (lol). Slim pickins from the contenders.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

It is supposed to be a good draft..who knows. But picks do have value beyond pure gambling, as leverage or sweeteners in trades, for example.

Sokolov is a kid with NHL shot power; Swaney is a kid with NHL instincts; guys like Duhaime even, obviously Kaprizov... late picks should turn out sometimes... why not us?

But Bazeek summed up my Zucker feelings...there's still upside there but he's overpaid this season and that's not a great sign for the contract. Even a Jim Benning should see that without that north-south speed you have a good guy and an average player.

Reactions: BigT2002

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Anthony Lapanta and Mike Greenlay (Whatever amount possible needs to be retained) for Steve Goldstein. Maybe pull a Twins and have a rotating lineup of ex-players being the colour commentators.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
How the **** is it that Chicago, every two to three years, just makes some trade or trades, and swings guys for guys who become awesome.

First, their initial SC roster was so fun to watch. This includes Hossa, whom they got. But, after that, it's like...I see Saad enter, play well, Panarin signs with them, pick DeBrincat, who's a total ******** stud, oh and DUH, they trade for Dylan Strome, he's big, he looks like a 30 YO insomniac, he's GOOD, he puts up basically PPG. Kane looks like the second coming of Jesus after meeting his Father down in Florida rippin' down Natties and doing Yoga over the summer getting ready for the season. Someone X-Men'd Toews because I swear to the ******* lord he was DONE last year. Nope, he must have been on that Professor X **** with Kaner.

**** me. They still got grandads Keith and Seabrook playing on the backend talking about back in my day stories when they used to play Orr and Bossy.
It’s just what happens when you have competent management.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Chicago certainly doesn't have that any more
I think on a level your right, but I’d list knowing your team and understanding what is needed to make your team successful as competent. The Gm understands that he has line drivers in Kane and Teows and he does a good job at finding complementary peices. Their drafting is good, IMO. I like Boqvist, Devrincat, Beudin, Nordgren, jokiharju, shcmaltz. Couple that with the ability to make trades that help your team. I look at the Strome deal as a total win. A 22yo C who will play a 1b role for years. I’d be interested to hear why you think they’re mismanaged.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think on a level your right, but I’d list knowing your team and understanding what is needed to make your team successful as competent. The Gm understands that he has line drivers in Kane and Teows and he does a good job at finding complementary peices. Their drafting is good, IMO. I like Boqvist, Devrincat, Beudin, Nordgren, jokiharju, shcmaltz. Couple that with the ability to make trades that help your team. I look at the Strome deal as a total win. A 22yo C who will play a 1b role for years. I’d be interested to hear why you think they’re mismanaged.
Stan Bowman is the Forrest Gump of the NHL. Dale Tallon built a team good enough to win 3 cups with an idiot running it. The list of bad trades and terrible contracts is pretty long.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Brian Lawton tweeted about the Wild and Anders Lee and/or Brock Nelson. Russo tweeted also that the Wild plan on going after them in FA if they make it but would do it now if they felt they would sign. Id be interested depending on price

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Brian Lawton tweeted about the Wild and Anders Lee and/or Brock Nelson. Russo tweeted also that the Wild plan on going after them in FA if they make it but would do it now if they felt they would sign. Id be interested depending on price
We've got several guys from the 2010 draft that have failed to live up to expectations (or hopes, at least) and were either signed to contracts that have become a problem or will soon be due for an extension that'll become a problem... and the answer is to sign Brock Nelson as a free agent? Alright.

Anders Lee would be cool but I've been under the impression that he'll probably sign in New York again. I could obviously be wrong there. I also worry about the term it'd require to get him here; he seems like a player that won't age gracefully.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Stranger things have happened, I guess, but I don't see Lee leaving his division-leading New York-based team that he's the captain of.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
if he was a center yes, if we get rid of zucker and he doesnt cost a fortune yes. he seems like he can get 45-50 points a year at LW. big body who likes the front of the net. i wouldnt hate him here yet i dont care if he doesnt come here.

Unfortunately 2 of those 3 things aren't true or won't be true.

Reactions: Bazeek

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The crap thing about the Wild and all its' players playing terribly? Any possible moves may worsen due to the low value the players hold.

Staal, IMO, even dating back four weeks ago was worth either a good prospect or a good pick. Staal now is worth a bag of pucks. The angle now is if Fenton can convince Staal is nothing more than a product of this crappy team.

Zucker can't score, can't do anything. His stock is low.

I don't really know what can be done with this team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The crap thing about the Wild and all its' players playing terribly? Any possible moves may worsen due to the low value the players hold.

Staal, IMO, even dating back four weeks ago was worth either a good prospect or a good pick. Staal now is worth a bag of pucks. The angle now is if Fenton can convince Staal is nothing more than a product of this crappy team.

Zucker can't score, can't do anything. His stock is low.

I don't really know what can be done with this team.
sell em all for bags of pucks, the more pucks the more reps we get in practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->