Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unless the Wild go on a tear between now and, say Feb 1, I would be down with Fenton not only trying to move a forward and Staal, but also approaching Koivu and respectfully saying,
" Would you agree to a trade at the TDL so you can have a shot at the Cup? The way things are going we don't see being in contention this year, or the next. "

It would be a bold, but smart move by Fenton, IMO. If Mikko says, no, then fine. If it gets us another 1st, then great. Next year we ask the same question again at the TDL.

The time for sitting back and hoping this team will just fix itself is gone, and it's not coming back.

Talking to Parise and Suter would be a whole other, more complex discussion that would have to take place at another time.

Time to shake it up around here. We have a somewhat likable, but complacent team that is going in the wrong direction. Better to recognize that and act preemptively, rather than do what Fletcher did, which was sell out the future for the present. I propose the opposite.

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
About Parise and Suter. Even if they wanted to go after Stanley Cup somewhere, I'm not sure how many takers they'd have. With their remaining contracts and injury history.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Here's da situation.

On one side you got the players the Wild fans would like to unload, that nobody wants.

On the other, the players Wild fans wanna keep and overvalue.

Then you have Fenton, stuck in the middle, and reality. :nod:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I come in despair from the Ducks.

Who is Kloos and should we care?
Someone like @Dr Jan Itor could probably give a lot of insight from his college days. I don't know how many of us watched too much of his play in the AHL. I wish I could give you hope, but I'm a little dumbfounded myself. Kloos was never going to be a top 6 center. Maybe a 3c? I'm not sure.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Someone like @Dr Jan Itor could probably give a lot of insight from his college days. I don't know how many of us watched too much of his play in the AHL. I wish I could give you hope, but I'm a little dumbfounded myself. Kloos was never going to be a top 6 center. Maybe a 3c? I'm not sure.

Small and skilled. Not a terrible guy to take a flyer on if they've soured that much on Aberg.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I come in despair from the Ducks.

Who is Kloos and should we care?
Probably his upside isn't as high as Aberg's, but he's also probably the more responsible player, at the more important position (center). Klooz actually will try to bring his effort every game, as well. He lit up the college hockey scene, and this season, after a slow start, has lit up the AHL as well. Check out this game log. Late bloomer. Probably a mid or bottom 6 player in the NHL, if he sticks. If he doesn't stick, he's a top line AHLer.

The more I think about it, I should have just put "bottom six". I think his ceiling is 3rd line, small, two-way player.

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Probably his upside isn't as high as Aberg's, but he's also probably the more responsible player, at the more important position (center). Klooz actually will try to bring his effort every game, as well. He lit up the college hockey scene, and this season, after a slow start, has lit up the AHL as well. Check out this game log. Late bloomer. Probably a mid or bottom 6 player in the NHL, if he sticks. If he doesn't stick, he's a top line AHLer.

The more I think about it, I should have just put "bottom six". I think his ceiling is 3rd line, small, two-way player.
Good penalty killer

Reactions: BagHead

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Going with the idea of picking up guys on the cheap to fill holes, does anyone have thoughts on Beaulieu? Wants playing time, seems like he'd be a better option than Prosser or Murphy until Dumba comes back, and doesn't seem like he'd demand a lot in trade.

He's making $2.4m for another year after this one though, which isn't ideal. Buffalo fans seem happier with his play this year, but I haven't really seen him play myself.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Going with the idea of picking up guys on the cheap to fill holes, does anyone have thoughts on Beaulieu? Wants playing time, seems like he'd be a better option than Prosser or Murphy until Dumba comes back, and doesn't seem like he'd demand a lot in trade.

He's making $2.4m for another year after this one though, which isn't ideal. Buffalo fans seem happier with his play this year, but I haven't really seen him play myself.

Not interested much at all.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Beaulieu is worse than Pateryn. Prosser isn't great but he's reliable and cheap.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, you don't want to be spending 2.4M on third pairing dman if you can help it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, you don't want to be spending 2.4M on third pairing dman if you can help it.
Cap space for this season doesn't worry me too much. I don't think we're looking at adding anyone significant at the deadline, though I guess there's an opportunity cost there if we were.

For next season yeah, even if he worked out it wouldn't make sense to carry both him and Pateryn, and Pateryn's probably a better fit for the 3rd pairing. So you'd have to count on being able to trade Beaulieu over the summer.

If he's not much of an upgrade over Prosser/Murphy though I don't see a point in it. Was just a thought.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Cap space for this season doesn't worry me too much. I don't think we're looking at adding anyone significant at the deadline, though I guess there's an opportunity cost there if we were.

For next season yeah, even if he worked out it wouldn't make sense to carry both him and Pateryn, and Pateryn's probably a better fit for the 3rd pairing. So you'd have to count on being able to trade Beaulieu over the summer.

If he's not much of an upgrade over Prosser/Murphy though I don't see a point in it. Was just a thought.

He's also is a LHS d-man.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's also is a LHS d-man.
I think Brodin being able to play both sides more or less mitigates that. Just depends on if you'd rather have Seeler or Beaulieu on the 2nd pairing. Or Pateryn on the 2nd pairing and Beaulieu on his off side on the 3rd pairing with Seeler.

But again, we get back to whether or not any of that's an improvement over what we've got. Pateryn on the second pairing annoys me, but Beaulieu might well annoy me more if he's still pretty braindead defensively.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Brodin being able to play both sides more or less mitigates that. Just depends on if you'd rather have Seeler or Beaulieu on the 2nd pairing. Or Pateryn on the 2nd pairing and Beaulieu on his off side on the 3rd pairing with Seeler.

But again, we get back to whether or not any of that's an improvement over what we've got. Pateryn on the second pairing annoys me, but Beaulieu might well annoy me more if he's still pretty braindead defensively.

He's barely a NHL player on his natural side, off-handed he's worse. He's been better this year, but it would take real talent to be worse than he was last year (he was Quincey bad). I'd rather just give Menell or Belpedio an chance on the 3rd pair with Seeler.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is this sarcasm? Pateryn is making only slightly less at $2.25m.
I'm on record as saying that it was an ill considered signing, but why double down on a LHD, who was let go by a team desperate for LHD(MTL), let alone a Francophone LHD?
Beaulieu is known for his lack of hockey IQ. Don't know why ANYONE would think it's a smart idea to sign him, when we've got Suter, Brodin, and Seeler, all signed past this year, at LD.
Ya, Brodin can move to RD, but Beaulieu is not the guy you make him do it for. Would be better off paying NOTHING, and getting someone from Iowa. Why pay anything for this guy?

Also, the problem with this team is on the forward line(s). Scoring inconsistent, they are starting to giveaway the puck, and their defensive coverage on line rushes against is puzzling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad