Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
In this scenario, if you're trading Granlund and Spurgeon for basically only 1st round picks, keeping Dubnyk or not becomes pretty irrelevant.
In that scenario, keeping him around makes even less sense. Obviously it would be better to get an asset(s) out of him, instead of waiving him, but why would you keep him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In that scenario, keeping him around makes even less sense. Obviously it would be better to get an asset(s) out of him, instead of waiving him, but why would you keep him?

I just wouldn't really care either way, unless he started stealing games.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
If we thought some good ufas would be available in july we could trade dubs for mike smith who's contract ends this season and use the cap to get one. probably add a conditional pick in there for us.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Hello all.

Just wondering. Assuming your gm decides to go scorched earth, is there anything on the Bruins that would work for Granlund? Always liked that guy.

I’d assume Pastrnak/McAvoy is a no go for reference. Anything else I have no clue anymore.

Thanks! Oh and good luck with your playoff push if you keep everyone!

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Hello all.

Just wondering. Assuming your gm decides to go scorched earth, is there anything on the Bruins that would work for Granlund? Always liked that guy.

I’d assume Pastrnak/McAvoy is a no go for reference. Anything else I have no clue anymore.

Thanks! Oh and good luck with your playoff push if you keep everyone!
Don’t see anything that works for granlund

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Tell me more about this?

He has an 11 team no-trade list. That leaves 20 teams, but most teams have a number 1 goaltender or don't have the cap space to add him. Also there isn't a ton of good goalies as FAs this year. Bob, Varlamov, and Howard. Could gamble on a guy like Brossoit, Lehner, or Binnington and hope?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He has an 11 team no-trade list. That leaves 20 teams, but most teams have a number 1 goaltender or don't have the cap space to add him. Also there isn't a ton of good goalies as FAs this year. Bob, Varlamov, and Howard. Could gamble on a guy like Brossoit, Lehner, or Binnington and hope?
I would be willing to bet that neither Calgary or Columbus are on his no-trade list. i would also be willing to bet that either team would take Dubnyk in a heartbeat. There are a ton of UFA goalies this summer that are every bit as good as Dubnyk was before he got to Minnesota.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'll wouldn't shocked if Zucker doesn't make it to his limited clause date.

I wouldn't either, but he hasn't done a whole lot to show he's worth his new deal.

He's be a hockey trade more than a futures trade imo. We saw how well the last hockey trade has worked out so far. :ha:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That list is actually a lot more encouraging than I thought it would be.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Would they? I remember back to the 2011 draft when Burns was traded and you heard cheers at the announcement. I'm going to guess that none of those people were cheering because Burns was leaving, they were cheering because changes were being made. How many of those people do you think were season ticket holders?

If they go into a multi-year rebuild where the team is terrible then yeah, ticket sales will suffer. But I don't think they're anywhere close to that. Selling a player or two at the deadline and giving up on a year where we've already lost Dumba and Koivu doesn't seem like something that anyone will actually get mad about. Considering how the last few years have gone the reaction would probably be the opposite.

While fair, most were lauding at the Burns trade because they were seeing known-scorers coming back in a trade-trade deal that sent a diva in Havlat and a player in Burns for Heatley/Setoguchi who were coming off decent years with San Jose. At that time, the Wild literally had no one who could score a goal in their forwards. I mean that was when Brunette-Koivu-Mittens were the TOP LINE. And I think that was the year the Wild's only All-Star was a rookie for the rookie game and not even the actual all-star game.

Here is the concern I see with the second half of your comment. People will be irate no matter what you do, right? Believers in the team (or homers at least) are going to lose their minds if they trade Spurgeon or Granlund. From the perspective of blue-blood Wild fans it will be the tell-tale sign that they've given up on the season and probably will not get anything back that is remotely close to what they believe the Wild should get. For example, if they trade Spurgeon to say Toronto for a 2019 1st rounder and a prospect -- there is no tangible way that most fans will see that as a win/win. The Wild lose a star Dman and the pick will be in the last 20's and the prospect will probably never pan out to what the status quo would be for that type of trade. Rubes will be upset because that signifies the team is going to suck for a long time. What I think gets lost on those who live in Duluth/Twin Cities, is that the rest of the state doesn't care about hockey nearly as much as we all think our state does. Hell, even in the metro about the only way you'll get the sound turned on in a bar is if the Wild are in the playoffs. Once the team is in the bottom of the standings you most likely are not going to see many tuning in. TV contracts aside, it isn't good for promoting the game and getting merchandise and the rest out to more than just those who live in the 763/612/651/952/218 area codes.

However, in that light -- the likes of Spurgeon or even like Brodin would be considered probably moot to most fans. It is the "one of us" mentality that seems to drive this state batty when it comes to hockey players. A player like Zucker or even Staal are largely seen as adopted Minnesotans in my opinion. Zucker because of his wife and community driven activities. Probably Staal because I'm sure Edina HS is just salivating at the thought of his kids playing hockey there if he stays here, which in turns drives many who idolize the HS State Tourney to pressure him to stay for that very reason. Just an observation, not a fact nor am I saying it is fact or truth.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'll wouldn't shocked if Zucker doesn't make it to his limited clause date.

I wouldn't as well. The issue is, does Fenton have the stones to move someone with as much PR stock as he does though? Yes, amazing players have been traded without batting an eye. But this is Minnesota. There has never been what I have felt as a trade of someone from the Wild that felt like it was done just to clear cap room or shake up the team. The closest I can even really think of is Clutterbuck for Nino. History of NHL trades by the Minnesota Wild - NHL Trade Tracker

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wouldn't as well. The issue is, does Fenton have the stones to move someone with as much PR stock as he does though? Yes, amazing players have been traded without batting an eye. But this is Minnesota. There has never been what I have felt as a trade of someone from the Wild that felt like it was done just to clear cap room or shake up the team. The closest I can even really think of is Clutterbuck for Nino. History of NHL trades by the Minnesota Wild - NHL Trade Tracker

Pommer/Scandella was purely to clear up cap space. Burns was a cap trade. Ennis/Vanek buyouts were cap moves; they basically traded Vanek for Staal, and Ennis for Pateryn.

If GMPF isn't going to trade Zucker because of non-hockey reasons then GMPF needs to be gotten rid of now. Zucker is not some plug making league minimum that you keep around for as a locker room guy. He's being paid to play hockey, the outside of hockey stuff is just a bonus to having him around. It's not like it's uncommon for players of any sport to do the community stuff

Reactions: BigT2002 and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That was Nino for Rask.

The Clutterbuck for Nino trade was a 4th liner for a player with massive future potential.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
A few scouts at today's game. And by a few, I mean a lot. 18 scouts representing 16 teams. That's the amount of teams that make it into the PO's, coincidently.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Pommer/Scandella was purely to clear up cap space. Burns was a cap trade. Ennis/Vanek buyouts were cap moves; they basically traded Vanek for Staal, and Ennis for Pateryn.

If GMPF isn't going to trade Zucker because of non-hockey reasons then GMPF needs to be gotten rid of now. Zucker is not some plug making league minimum that you keep around for as a locker room guy. He's being paid to play hockey, the outside of hockey stuff is just a bonus to having him around. It's not like it's uncommon for players of any sport to do the community stuff

Ah much better, that site didn't have those and it wasn't striking for me. How many of these were off-season as opposed to trade deadline?

And you're right, it shouldn't be in any factor when it comes to it. But will it is the question?

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
A few scouts at today's game. And by a few, I mean a lot. 18 scouts representing 16 teams. That's the amount of teams that make it into the PO's, coincidently.
I’m sure they were very excited by what they saw today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad