Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
yeah I don't know. It'd be a tough call. I don't want to lose him but you can'y pay 9 million if there's a chance he's a 60-70 point winger

The way I’m kind of looking at it: 4 years brings us to the end of Parise and Suter deals, so that’s $15m that just opens up wide open. We still have the 8th year on our side for the next deal, and it would still only take him to 35 (not ideal, but not the end of the world). And for the 4 years in the meantime, we could have a PPG+ player for only ~$7m.

It does depend on how “reasonable” those 4 years are though.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The way I’m kind of looking at it: 4 years brings us to the end of Parise and Suter deals, so that’s $15m that just opens up wide open. We still have the 8th year on our side for the next deal, and it would still only take him to 35 (not ideal, but not the end of the world). And for the 4 years in the meantime, we could have a PPG+ player for only ~$7m.

It does depend on how “reasonable” those 4 years are though.
yeah, it's certainly better than 3 years. you're gambling a lot on us being in a good spot in 4 years to continue to compete. If we're entering a rebuild, we probably trade him in the last year of that deal for futures. I don't think we'll be entering a rebuild, but if Rossi/Boldy/Addison don't hit, it's possible. 5 years might be the sweet spot. 5x7.5 isn't the worst deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So his “threat” would be to make ~$6m over there for the next 3 years instead of $21-$24m here, and then be banking on a team giving him top dollar and top term, sight unseen for 3 years, with still only 56 games of NHL equity.

I can’t say I’m all that worried about this right now.

Ya, "Big money" doesn't really exist in the KHL anymore since they implemented the Salary cap. Before the salary cap they implemented just recently, you would have deals in the 3-5 million range, but that doesn't exist anymore.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The agents Russo talked to think we might have to touch 9 on an 8 year deal to get him signed.

Russo also adds a good point that Kaprizov’s bonuses will eat into out 22 million in space next year.
I think that is ridiculous. We'll see how he finishes the season, but giving 72M after one shortened season is crazy. Pastrnak got a 6 x 6.66M contract after a three year ELC, the final year of which he scored 70 pts. The cap is not going up for the foreseeable future, and salaries are staying flat, if not going down.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
I think that is ridiculous. We'll see how he finishes the season, but giving 72M after one shortened season is crazy. Pastrnak got a 6 x 6.66M contract after a three year ELC, the final year of which he scored 70 pts. The cap is not going up for the foreseeable future, and salaries are staying flat, if not going down.

Using one of the best contracts in the league as a comparison is obviously going to skew your analysis.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Because they don't have a younger center that's anywhere near as good?
Fletcher witnessed here how hard it is to draft and develop a number 1 center,m. I can’t imagine he’s going to let Couturier go in his prime. There aren’t a lot of players that play better hockey than that guy.

Reactions: ctmagic

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fletcher witnessed here how hard it is to draft and develop a number 1 center,m. I can’t imagine he’s going to let Couturier go in his prime. There aren’t a lot of players that play better hockey than that guy.
Yeah, he would be the last guy on that roster that I would consider trading.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Wild will move at least 1 contract by the deadline to address the Kap bonus issue (at least in part).

We can also address it by buying out Parise and opening up $5.2M in space next year, which I still think is the best route for the team to take if Parise doesn’t waive his NMC for the ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad